Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
will take ECE college writing
Hello forum-
I am taking ECE college writing this Friday (6/Oct) at 2:00 this week. :confused: I have to make a drive of two hours just to get to the Pearson testing center, and it's a bit nerve racking thinking about it, considering what I've read. I think I can make it, but only time will tell.

I went through the threads and found invaluable information on this test, and I have practically memorized some of these threads. I am going to a strange testing center, far away, with no proctor that I will recognize, to take a test that may possible be the hardest yet. I'll be praying hard on Friday!:o
Got-
CLEP: 24 credits
dsst: 18 credits Cool
NYU: 12 credits
Excelsior's portfolio course: 3 credits
INL 102: 1 credit Cool
ECE college writing: 3 creditsBig Grin

AS on the way!!!!hilarious
[SIZE="3"]......And we'll be praying for you - Good Luck and Amen!!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
[SIZE="3"]Ditto...on the prayer. I also have to take this exam, which I'm dreading. [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]WORKING TOWARDS B.S. OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE FROM EXCELSIOR COLLEGE.[/SIZE]
UPDATED 1/13
COMPLETED 113.33 HRS.
NEED 14.67
[COLOR="Green"]RECENTLY TAKEN TEST: RISE & FALL - 12/12 - 46 (OUCH!)
NEXT TESTS: World Conflicts, Juvenile Delinquency, Ethics, College Writing
LAST TRADITIONAL CLASS: Social Science Research
[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]
CLEP/DSST - 51 HRS
TRADITIONAL - 53
MILITARY - 9
[/COLOR]
rome Wrote:I am going to a strange testing center, far away, with no proctor that I will recognize, to take a test that may possible be the hardest yet. I'll be praying hard on Friday!:o

Rome,

It's always hard to go to a new testing center that you have no experience with; I faced that myself with my first Pearson/ECE test a few weeks ago. In the end, it wasn't a bad experience at all! Sometimes our fears are worse than the actual experience.

I'll pray that all goes well for you on Friday! Let us know how you do...and try not to worry too much, okay? Wink It will all work out well!

Take care,
JoAnne
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
Thanks everyone, I'll try to make you all proud and bring myself relief!

rome
Got-

Good luck!
[SIZE="5"]Barry[/SIZE]
47 Traditional Credits 75 Non-Traditional with 3.7 GPA
[COLOR="Blue"]BA in Social Sciences from TESC last class ended on 1/13/2007!!
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Waiting on grade for SOS440
B in SOC210[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Next up MA of Liberal Studies in Administrative Leadership through the University of Oklahoma!!
Good Luck! Be sure to give us a status report on the test, there are quite a few of us who have been procastinating this one. Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
I and my mom (she had places to visit in Bethesda) drove up to Bethesda Maryland to find the Pearson Testing Center in one of the towers. My appointment was set for two in the afternoon, but I went up to the ninth floor as soon as I found the Towers and asked if they had free space so I could get in early. They agreed, and I was admitted like 15 minutes before twelve o'clock. By the time I had finished I had six minutes left, and I submited all three essays without even reviewing them (I only counted the paragraphs to see general length).

Before I was admitted into the actual testing room, I was given some particulars on my test, and was told that I would not receive a score from Pearson. I felt shock, but didn't say anything. By now what could I do? I decided to focus my energy on doing my very best for these extended responses. When I had finished the test, I hoped that maybe the lady had made a mistake but no scores came up and the computer kicked into another test setup. Oh well.Sad

I called Excelsior once I was out of the building and asked about this contradiction, since I had been informed and read that this test had instant scores. I have the impression that intellimetric is working through some other source at present, and will receive my results in about two weeks. That's not really bad, but I had so long been counting on knowing right away, that I felt floored for the drive home (three hours in traffic one way:mad: ).

I'll say that I have high hopes, and do believe at least in a pass and at most--a B+ to A (or in other words getting high). I was able to finish each essay, and from the end of the test had six minutes left, which means I was not cut off by time. Smile

I have more to say, but I'll save that for tomorrow's post. Don't worry you will hear from me. If not soon enough then someone honk a horn!
Got-

There were, of course three essays on this exam, though only two are going to be scored, I just did my best on all three. The setting on the computer I had was a good quality, and unexpected. I had practiced on My Access, which is still an excellent tool, but it was hard to work with. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't control the type size, and I couldn't use tab properly: it was wierd. For the longest time, My Access had such a small window, but for the last week of my practice it was enlarged and really improved the setting.

The real thing on the other hand took up the entire screen and was one color--blue--unlike the practice setting, which had kindergarten colors. There were no type size issues, and no tabbing problems. Basicly all you could do was type, besides copying, cutting, and pasting. I never learned to use the color coding anyway.

The individual essay setup was improved compared to My Access. It had the basics requirements of the essay set on top, the writing space in the middle, and the two readings at the bottom, where everything could be seen all at once. Each had its own little scroll bar allowing easy adjustment. If I wanted to copy something from one of the essays I had read, I didn't have to keep scrolling between areas--a huge time saver.

I was immediatly taken into the first essay, and I just started with that one, did the next and then the last, though now I think I could have gone out of order. I had wondered if you had to submit the essays individually, and found that you can't. All three are submitted at once. When you come to the last essay you find a button "end task" or something of that nature.

I spent on average an hour per essay. I didn't count my words (though I did count my paragraphs) having learned by sight the usual length of my writing. I was particular about quoting, and grammar, and less about spelling. I did everything I could to stay on topic, and I hope I have succeeded!

This testing site did not allow scratch paper, and I could not take in my own pen or even my watch ($7.95, what can it do?). I had to choose from the beginning to keep my jacket on or off and then leave it that way. Anyway, instead of scratch paper, I was given a wipe paper and black marker but was not permitted an eraser.:confused: They seemed to think that some how I could cheat with tissue or whatever. Between essays I had to raise my hand to have the lady come and take it away and bring me a new one, or erase it for me. I did try to just wipe it with my hands, but that was strange stuff; I only fingerprinted myself, and got ink on the keyboard, I'm sure.

I really didn't have any complications during the test or when I tried to submit. There was just a little confussion, when I did submit, as to whether to computer actually saw the boxes as filled. Well, for this just check the "view flagged problems". For me it said, there are no flagged problems, and that's when I knew I could go ahead, that I was in no danger of losing my work.

Yes, I was fingerprinted, photographed, video-taped, audio-taped, and watched by a proctor. I only had to show one form of identification and had to carry it around with me. There were no schedualed breaks, so they would have cost me time. I never took a break; went straight for three hours. After the test I didn't receive a score and must wait two weeks.

If I were to give any suggestions, they would be: practice on My Access. Try to find essays that have lengthy articles for reading--you have to be able to read for understanding, then write an opinion on what you read. Next, don't use the spell check and other things that you wont have on the actual test: Now this might be bad advice for some, but personally, I didn't want to train myself on something I couldn't use. Lastly, when you do practice timing yourself on essay writing, work your way up to the full quota of hours. At one point doing one essay right after the other exhausted me, and I lost concentration on my second hour and then had to sleep. I had to work up until I was comfortable with all the time spent in thinking and typing essays. On one of my practice days I did three essays in a row; but only once! I saved that energy for the real test.

I apologize, this has been a lengthy "essay" and I will now terminate it.

-rome
Got-

Rome,

An excellent description of your experience taking the exam. I am certain many people will find your comments useful for sitting this exam. If your exam essays were as clearly written as these posts, I am certain that you will get a high score.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,181 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,534 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,926 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 27,494 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP