Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate)
So yea I'm still going back and forth between WGU and Walden. I really am torn between "settling" for a WGU MBA or doing a Walden MS Psych. I've talked to several that have done the WGU but not a soul that has done Walden. So if you've had any graduate classes at walden can you chime in how they were? 
Could I do a Master's program in 1-2 terms if I have a strong psych background?
Are there a lot of exams and if so are they proctored? I'm mostly used to open book exams and tons and tons of papers.

I appreciate y'all. It is this forum that got me two associate degrees and my bachelor degree in 1.5 years. Now I need a Master's lol. I'm trying to stop there, lol.
Current Degree Programs:
MA in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - GSU - April 2025
M.Ed in Elementary Education - UoPeople - December 2026
Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion (Higher Education) - UCA
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 1 user Likes TINASAM's post:
  • OTmina
IIRC, Walden is mostly papers. Entirely papers? I'm not sure if there are any exams at all at the grad level.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • TINASAM
Bjcheung77 is doing the Walden MBA.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • TINASAM
Walden University MS-Psychology Tempo Learning (2 terms) - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...o-Learning

This one too might be of interest - Walden Master I/O Psychology - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...My-journey
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • TINASAM
(04-23-2023, 05:30 PM)allvia Wrote: Walden University MS-Psychology Tempo Learning (2 terms) - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...o-Learning

This one too might be of interest - Walden Master I/O Psychology - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...My-journey

Thanks
Current Degree Programs:
Up Next 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TINASAM's post:
  • allvia
Wish I had been able to do this years ago when the 50% off or the free term was offered. Seems like all they offer now is for the course-based not the CBE for discounts.
Current Degree Programs:
Up Next 

I attempted Walden's MHA self-paced program during the 1st round of pandemic shutdowns, enrolling April or May 2020 . It was pretty straightforward but not for me. A LOT of class materials were outdated, like referring to millennials as 18-25 year olds and broken links to resources. The bit that got me annoyed enough to call it quits in the first session was a personal development course that required having LinkedIn and other stuff I don't want in my life. Most of the coursework was fine and the assignments to complete a course section were mainly writing a series of 2-3 paragraphs answers to prompts on a worksheet template with 10-12 questions. A handful were multiple choice exams. And like 5 of the 36 were projects you designed, got approval, and completed.

Also, at least for the self-paced,  you have regularly scheduled phone or Zoom/FaceTime meetings with an advisor. Either once a week or every other week, depending on if you have financial aid. You can also email, text, or call the advisor outside of the scheduled meeting. They do things like close a course section so you can open a new one. That's useful if you got approval on a project that will take you a few weeks to complete so you can bang out a couple other less involved sections in the meantime as you can only have 2 or 3 sections open for submitting work. If you have financial aid , they also let you know if you're on track to keep it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sparklette's post:
  • TINASAM
I had started at Walden for the MBA pre-covid but also took classes at a few other places to max out transfer credits. I would say which one you do really depends on what you were hoping to get out of it. I specifically selected Walden because I wanted a specialization that the other online schools didn't offer, and business accreditation. If you only want the MBA without a specialization or if you want a specialization that WGU offers, I would go with WGU. If you want a specialization that WGU doesn't offer then I would say to go with Walden.

If you plan to do the tempo program just be aware that it is very heavy reading. Also, many people skip the forums because they're not technically required, but then it also seems to affect the grades. I read a report that the average grades for tempo are a grade lower than what they are for the main classes, and I think that's from lack of people using the forums.

On of the professors/subject matter experts I had was great at Walden, under the other one was a huge pain... who apparently other students also complained about. I do plan to return to Walden, likely this July. Right now I have a 4.0 GPA, and I am concerned about that dropping with the Tempo MBA. I'm going to see about posting on the forums hoping that it will make a difference in keeping up the GPA, because the lowest grade I got in the 21/30 credits finished was in the second tempo class that was the only graded one I took. The other thing I would say to be aware of is that sometimes the teachers take a while to return the papers, so if you are on tempo make sure to have your advisor give you access to the next class so that you can start working on it while you're waiting for the paper to be returned.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(05-06-2023, 12:13 AM)SweetSecret Wrote: I had started at Walden for the MBA pre-covid but also took classes at a few other places to max out transfer credits. I would say which one you do really depends on what you were hoping to get out of it. I specifically selected Walden because I wanted a specialization that the other online schools didn't offer, and business accreditation. If you only want the MBA without a specialization or if you want a specialization that WGU offers, I would go with WGU. If you want a specialization that WGU doesn't offer then I would say to go with Walden.

If you plan to do the tempo program just be aware that it is very heavy reading. Also, many people skip the forums because they're not technically required, but then it also seems to affect the grades. I read a report that the average grades for tempo are a grade lower than what they are for the main classes, and I think that's from lack of people using the forums.

On of the professors/subject matter experts I had was great at Walden, under the other one was a huge pain... who apparently other students also complained about. I do plan to return to Walden, likely this July. Right now I have a 4.0 GPA, and I am concerned about that dropping with the Tempo MBA. I'm going to see about posting on the forums hoping that it will make a difference in keeping up the GPA, because the lowest grade I got in the 21/30 credits finished was in the second tempo class that was the only graded one I took. The other thing I would say to be aware of is that sometimes the teachers take a while to return the papers, so if you are on tempo make sure to have your advisor give you access to the next class so that you can start working on it while you're waiting for the paper to be returned.

Thank you.
Current Degree Programs:
Up Next 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 196 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 708 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,889 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,857 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,100 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,917 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 493 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,314 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 369 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,043 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill