Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Are TESU degrees accepted for masters programs?
#1
I am located in Missouri and currently enrolled at Columbia college which accepts a very generous amount (60) of non traditional credits and I’ve very much enjoyed my experience so far. However, as I am about to graduate with my Associates, I am analyzing other institutions because they have 39 upper level credits required for all bachelor programs AND a 6 hour foreign language requirement which I don’t love. Additionally, my current school doesn’t accept study.com or Sophia credits. My long term goal is to complete a psychology or liberal arts degree with TESU, California Southern University or something similar, and then move on to the behavioral analysis masters program won line with Missouri State University. My concern is that an out of state university may not be accepted by them. Anyone had experience with this? & did you have to take GRE?? Open to other schools. 

Thanks in advance! I definitely want to save as much time and money on my undergrad as possible, but not sacrifice my eligibility for a grad program. 

Current credits:
39 credit hours of CLEP/DSST
24 traditional credit hours.
DSST
Substance Abuse 470, Fundamentals of Counseling 466, General Anthropology 445, Foundations of Education 424, Technical Writing 450
CLEP
Human Growth & Development 58, Intro to Educational Psychology 66, College Composition 66, College Composition Modular 65, Intro to Sociology 64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 50, American Government 55, College Algebra 63, Macroeconomics 52, Biology 55
SDC 
Ethics in the Social science, Statistics, Cognitive Psychology, Research methods, Personality Theory, History & Systems of Psychology, Ethics in America, History of the US II
CooperSmith
Abnormal Psychology, Physiological Psychology
UExcel
Psychology of Adulthood & Aging, Social Psychology
Reply
#2
Yes, we have TESU alumni that have gone to all sorts of grad schools, from big names to not so big names.

I completed my masters at Georgia Tech after TESU (though I also have an additional undergrad from WGU). There's plenty of other folks with similar stories. There was a story posted a while back about someone going on to Harvard Law. There's all kinds of well known and not so well known schools that will happily accept a TESU undergrad.
Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Western Governors University
MBA IT Management, 2026
BS IT Security, 2018

Northwestern California University School of Law
1L 20cr completed, withdrew from school, 2023-24

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 87
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • kt320
Reply
#3
Why wouldn't an out of state degree be accepted? People move all the time and their degrees go with them. Seems like most people don't go to the same school for grad school as they do for undergrad. TESU is part of the state university system in New Jersey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jsd
Reply
#4
I skimmed over the part about out-of-state. Of course grad schools accept out of state undergrads, colleges generally accept students from all over the world, let alone out of state.

You mentioned Behavior Analysis at MSU. Here are their admission requirements, you can work backward from here:

https://psychology.missouristate.edu/ABA...ements.htm

Pay attention to point #3, they appear to require a specific amount of graded Psych credits with a minimum GPA within those credits, so keep that in mind when you figuring out which credits you'll complete through alternative means like Study.com, et al. You also asked about the GRE, which they mention in point #5
Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Western Governors University
MBA IT Management, 2026
BS IT Security, 2018

Northwestern California University School of Law
1L 20cr completed, withdrew from school, 2023-24

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 87
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Reply
#5
I think that if you go to LinkedIn or even Facebook, you will see that there are many people who have gone from TESU to grad school.  And why not?  After all, it is an RA state university.  Why wouldn't it work?
Reply
#6
Many people from this forum have reported that they've gotten into master's programs after getting a BA/BS at TESU.

But we can't speak to your school specifically (Missouri State University) accepting them. I'm not sure why they wouldn't. And I'm not sure why an out-of-state school would be an issue anywhere? I've never heard of a college that won't take an out-of-state student, or out-of-state degree ("You moved to Missouri after living in another state for 10 years? Nope, we don't look at any degrees except ones earned here in Missouri. Sorry.") - no, that's not a thing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Reply
#7
I'm not sure exactly what program you are referring to, but this one and others can be competitive:
https://graduate.missouristate.edu/catal...alysis.htm

You will need to maintain a high GPA, and I'm not sure if some of these programs have RA course requirements. The GRE is optional for some programs.

I would think the best route would be to get a psychology degree if you are going to try to get into these master's programs versus getting a liberal studies degree.

SNHU is a good choice because 50% of students graduate with honors.  (cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude or 3.5-4.0 GPA)

SNHU Psychology Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan

Get super serious about getting straight A's in as many courses as you can:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...in-College

GL in your journey.
Study.com – Get 10% Off: https://altcredit.click/study10

Degrees: BA Comp Sci; BS Business Admin (CIS); AS Nat Sci & Math — TESU (4.0 GPA)
Certs: Google (IT Support, Digital Marketing, Proj Mgmt); W3Schools PHP
Reply
#8
Merged and cleaned up the two threads!

Since your school of choice has a requirement for graded credits, you should consider taking UExcels for as many Psych credits as possible: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UE...es_at_TESU Counting Psych 101 (which I'm not sure if you have) there are 18 Psych credits in the UExcels. I think this applies whether you choose SNHU or TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Reply
#9
If you're going the UExcel route, I'd make sure you really know the course material well, since your entire grade will be dependent on the single test and in this case your GPA on those specific tests will matter at MSU.
Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Western Governors University
MBA IT Management, 2026
BS IT Security, 2018

Northwestern California University School of Law
1L 20cr completed, withdrew from school, 2023-24

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 87
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Reply
#10
(02-01-2022, 10:21 PM)Alpha Wrote: I think that if you go to LinkedIn or even Facebook, you will see that there are many people who have gone from TESU to grad school.  And why not?  After all, it is an RA state university.  Why wouldn't it work?

My apologies for being unclear because I think I made an overgeneralization. I think what I was trying to say is are there grad schools who are willing to accept someone who tested out of 80% of their undergrad by exam and study.com. That’s my concern with going with TESU or another one of the big 3 is that I’ll end up having to take quite a few pre-requisites anyways.

(02-02-2022, 07:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Merged and cleaned up the two threads!

Since your school of choice has a requirement for graded credits, you should consider taking UExcels for as many Psych credits as possible: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UE...es_at_TESU Counting Psych 101 (which I'm not sure if you have) there are 18 Psych credits in the UExcels. I think this applies whether you choose SNHU or TESU.

Thank you! I wasn’t sure which one to post in at first. Also - are you saying that uexcel transfer as graded instead of pass/fail?
DSST
Substance Abuse 470, Fundamentals of Counseling 466, General Anthropology 445, Foundations of Education 424, Technical Writing 450
CLEP
Human Growth & Development 58, Intro to Educational Psychology 66, College Composition 66, College Composition Modular 65, Intro to Sociology 64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 50, American Government 55, College Algebra 63, Macroeconomics 52, Biology 55
SDC 
Ethics in the Social science, Statistics, Cognitive Psychology, Research methods, Personality Theory, History & Systems of Psychology, Ethics in America, History of the US II
CooperSmith
Abnormal Psychology, Physiological Psychology
UExcel
Psychology of Adulthood & Aging, Social Psychology
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice needed - Tier 1 Masters or Doc irvineboy 8 715 09-26-2026, 08:18 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Advice needed TESU Biology sg82 2 324 09-22-2026, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Notyourgirl
Big Grin Considering TESU - Bachelors ASAP bustinjon 16 3,580 08-30-2026, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Completing TESU History BA Wayne195 1 549 06-25-2026, 04:25 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Is My TESU Eval Accurate? (BA Psychology) myriam555 6 1,099 06-01-2026, 05:39 PM
Last Post: myriam555
  TESU BSBA Finance and possible dual degree? Bingo 4 1,300 04-29-2026, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Phyexial
  Indiana Universities downsizing degrees offerings Stonybeach 1 654 04-10-2026, 08:37 AM
Last Post: wow
  Liberal Studies from TESU to graduate with my daughter cljrmccoy 3 1,063 03-30-2026, 10:35 AM
Last Post: cljrmccoy
  BS in IT (2nd TESU Bachelors) HawkGuy 7 1,717 03-10-2026, 09:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferred in 90 credits to UMPI. Which of these 3 degrees should I choose? mriern99 4 1,601 03-05-2026, 08:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)