Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New theory: PREVIOUS generations had a sense of entitlement
#35
Ryoder, the point I was making was in the distancing between an actor, and the thing acted upon. If I owned stock directly in XYZ corporation, and I heard that they were doing something that I thought was wrong, I'd be on their case. Maybe go to a stockholder's meeting, or consider not voting in members of Board of Directtors (or whomever it is that stockholders elect). Now, I'm contributing to a pension (yes, I'm VERY lucky), buying IRAs, and putting in to deferred comp. It's lazyness on my part, but I couldn't tell you the name of one stock held by one of the mutual funds or the pension plan. If I learn that someone in a company whose stock I owned ran it into the ground but is getting a golden parachute, a golden handshake, and gold bullion up his a$$, I would have raised holy heck. I'm just saying that I don't think the mutual funds have any inclination to act on that sort of thing. Are these big stock offering companies, stockbrokers, mutual funds, etc. all in cahoots with each other? Or is it that they don't feel that they had a sense of responsibility? Also, while I'm not a knee-jerker about stopping jobs going from America to other countries, I have concerns. Yeah, folks scream out our polution controlls, government regulation etc. I can't help but think, however, that China will soon be one toxic wasteland. When we do this to our planet, where do we go next? It's great if you think there's a Rapture, but the rest of us will be stuck with grey air, brown water, and Pampers up to our hips. The pollution isn't going to be staying in the BRIC (?) countries. It' will be working its way to us from Brazil, Russion, India, and China.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
New theory: PREVIOUS generations had a sense of entitlement - by LaterBloomer - 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help me talk some sense into my sister! sanantone 38 13,693 06-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Are all of today's teens/20-somethings dealing with entitlement issues? TMW2010 56 17,492 07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Theory behind liberal arts Urbannaja 2 2,863 09-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Last Post: lspahn

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)