Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What can I do with a BA in History?
#5
I ask people all the time what they got their college degree in and am continously amazed at how often the degree has nothing to do with their current occupation. Like the PR major I met yesterday who owns a travel agency. The advice that "people are more interested in the fact that you got a degree than in what field you studied" is accurate. A degree implies a certain amount of work and "discipline of mind" that can be applied to numerous endeavors.

Also the advice that a degree in history can be a stepping stone to further study is true. I once talked to the dean of a seminary who told me that they frequently sought out people with degrees in business and mathematics and other areas becasue of what they brought to the study of religion. I knew of a man who got his undergraduate degree in math and then went to get his Masters in art. One of his instrctors made him come up with a mathematic formula for all of his paintings before starting to paint. It ended up being a fascinating study for everyone in the class simply because this student with an unusual background brought something new to the subject.

Of course, the old joke is, "What do history majors say when they get into the job world?"

"Would you like fries with that?"

Truth is, what you do with your degree is entirely up to you.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
What can I do with a BA in History? - by rjc311 - 05-08-2007, 08:26 AM
What can I do with a BA in History? - by studyhard - 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM
What can I do with a BA in History? - by sirjake - 05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
What can I do with a BA in History? - by twitterflix - 05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
What can I do with a BA in History? - by fibonacci112 - 05-13-2007, 08:24 PM
What can I do with a BA in History? - by Treyser - 05-14-2007, 07:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10-Year-Old Whiz Kid to Make History as Crafton Hills College’s Youngest Graduate jsd 0 2,756 04-09-2025, 02:03 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Master of Letters in History dewisant 4 2,114 06-28-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 7,268 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 3,038 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  History of Degree Awarding Tomes MichaelGates 2 2,052 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Legacy Admissions with Anti-Semitic History Challenged sanantone 2 1,812 07-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 1,426 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has anyone taken the ONU Your Way HIS 379 Latin American History and Politics course Insert Name 10 3,805 03-13-2022, 08:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food -- ISO feedback sammeecat 9 4,563 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Looking For UPPER LEVEL History Courses tls7291 7 3,295 05-04-2021, 11:41 PM
Last Post: tls7291

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)