04-28-2013, 10:53 AM
College Plus is Brad Voeller. He was homeschooled as a kid, and wrote Accelerated Distance Learning. It's a great (outdated) book that literally BROUGHT ME HERE! (I mention him in chapter 1 of my book!) Brad was using the big 3 and test-out as a homeschooler when very few people were doing so. Many people were homeschooling, and many people were using CLEP but he made the connection and explained how to streamline it into a legit degree. He used lots of PLA and also the "accelerated" part and "distance learning" parts were emphasized. If you remember BAin4weeks, he was of that time.
Where my experience as a homeschooler/parent differed from his, is that he really "only" supported degree via test out. I think that concept, while popular here and useful to many, is not realistic for the majority of the homeschool community. I read a post on another forum this morning from a mom who was using CLEP for her daughter so her daughter could open up spaces for more classes in college later. (?) So, the point, is that instead of doing an updated revision, he opened a consulting company = College Plus. He added the twist of creating it as a Christian company, and bam, he had a niche market. I'm not hating on Brad or CP. What he "does" for pay, all of us do here for free. I don't fault him for earning a living, and at the end of the day, people sometimes would rather pay for something than do the research themselves. People know these companies exist, I was even asked about them in that interview I did, so people are aware. I do, however, think that anyone capable of homeschooling a child is EQUALLY capable of arranging their curriculum to coordinate with a few exams.
Where my experience as a homeschooler/parent differed from his, is that he really "only" supported degree via test out. I think that concept, while popular here and useful to many, is not realistic for the majority of the homeschool community. I read a post on another forum this morning from a mom who was using CLEP for her daughter so her daughter could open up spaces for more classes in college later. (?) So, the point, is that instead of doing an updated revision, he opened a consulting company = College Plus. He added the twist of creating it as a Christian company, and bam, he had a niche market. I'm not hating on Brad or CP. What he "does" for pay, all of us do here for free. I don't fault him for earning a living, and at the end of the day, people sometimes would rather pay for something than do the research themselves. People know these companies exist, I was even asked about them in that interview I did, so people are aware. I do, however, think that anyone capable of homeschooling a child is EQUALLY capable of arranging their curriculum to coordinate with a few exams.

![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)