09-07-2014, 11:52 AM
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014, 11:55 AM by cookderosa.)
dfrecore Wrote:I also homeschool my kids, who are young yet (10 & 12), but am already doing research on the local community colleges and state colleges (we live in San Diego). My daughter will begin taking art classes at our local CC as soon as she starts high school. My son will have to start taking college classes when he gets to the calculus level and bypasses my ability to help him with his math.
All of the local community colleges (that I've looked at) accept CLEP and DSST exams. They may have specific exams they do or don't accept, and specific scores they have to get to pass, but they all have something in their catalogs regarding the exams. Most also discuss ACE certification being accepted as well. Keep in mind that San Diego is VERY military-friendly (6 Naval or Marine bases here), so that's a factor. Many only have DSST info in their Military section of the catalog. My local CC will accept 48 CLEP units. Not sure about the rest.
The "state" college (all schools with CSU or the word "state" in the title, there are 23 campuses, including 2 in the San Diego area), are all on a mission to try to alleviate the overcrowding, and accept CLEP exams. Some may accept DSST exams, but that's a little more difficult to come by (CSUSM doesn't have anything in the catalog about it, SDSU has an ROTC program and specifically accepts DSST's). They will only accept 30 CLEP/testing units. So even if you take the 48 units accepted by your CC, the schools will only accept 30 units.
The UC colleges (10 campuses including 1 in San Diego) do NOT accept any CLEP or DSST exams at all. They state it in their catalogs. So even if your community college will take the exam, the university will not accept it.
Not sure if that's what you meant by not honoring articulation agreements, but that's how it works here.
Sorry it's so wordy! But you caught me when I was doing research, and we all know that when we learn something new, we like to share it with whoever will listen!
Thanks for adding that.
Okay, so "honoring articulation agreements" simply means that the college is compliant in their agreement/transfer guarantee. Here is the page from University of California's page Transfer Admission Guarantee | UC Admissions
That is a current link, but I thought I read a while back that they were stopping the TAG program. Nonetheless, when you are in one of these agreements, it's a contract. So, whatever the agreement contract is when you begin (at the CC) you are locked into the agreement which guarantees 100% acceptance of your credits inside that articulation. (which can include CLEP credit if the CC accepts it in your plan, even when the Uni's policy is not to accept CLEP)
While I'm not a lawyer, I'm sure you could pursue legal action if they didn't comply.
*EDIT* okay, so I see they did do away with "TAG" and now call it "TCA" so that link is current.

![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)