Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
computer use at work, and how many hours do people really work?
#7
ladylearner Wrote:I have been on my current job for over a year and am amazed at the amount of time people spend socializing. Sometimes it's downright distracting!

I know people who take 8 hours to do x amount of work a day. I know people who can do the same x amount in 5 hours and then have 3 hours of downtime time that they use to their liking. Unless we know exactly what someone is doing, its difficult to judge if they are really goofing off or if management is doing a horrible job of delegating work.

I once worked in a place where we had two employees who thought it was their duty to tell the boss what everyone was doing and whether people were "pulling their weight". I would overhear him and he would usually say, thanks I'll handle it. One day, he got tired of it and just stood up and addressed everyone. He stated (paraphrasing as it was long ago): I need everyone to concentrate on their own work. I know what each and everyone is doing and have assigned work to their ability. The way I see it, how are you working when you are busy watching other people? If you have time to look up at what others are doing, then you are not working either. You're just busy watching others work.

Afterwards, no one approached him about it again and the two busy bodies were never MORE productive.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
computer use at work, and how many hours do people really work? - by Prloko - 05-26-2015, 08:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here's Why More and More People are Done with Airbnb—It's Quite a List LevelUP 1 680 07-28-2026, 11:11 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Our education system is worse than people know sanantone 19 4,117 04-27-2026, 12:30 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Communism doesn't work? Shocking state of $29m government-run supermarket in KC LevelUP 15 4,635 07-30-2025, 11:39 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  16 People Who Thought They Knew Better Than Their Doctors bjcheung77 1 1,526 07-23-2024, 04:10 AM
Last Post: degreeholdeer
  "For the People, For the Country: Patrick Henry’s Final Political Battle." Charles Fout 1 1,759 05-10-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why I’m Leaving New York City. More than half a million people left New York in 2022 LevelUP 25 9,693 04-18-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 19 7,900 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 2,106 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 5,275 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Video Tetris: A Modern Movie That Shows the How People Had to Live in the Soviet Union. LevelUP 1 2,255 04-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)