06-15-2016, 04:48 PM
videogamesrock Wrote:Yes I disagree with the textbook.
Right, and this is what we're pointing out. You're using your own definition and not the definition that the financial world agrees upon. That's fine, if weird, but it's your own redefinition.
Quote:The last time my personal residence was not a liability was when I lived with my parents and they gave me an allowance.
You weren't a stakeholder, so it wasn't an asset or a liability.
Quote:When I moved out every place I've lived in has not been an asset, it's always been a liability.h
If I'm really bad at picking stocks and never make any money in the market, that doesn't mean investments at large are not assets. It means I made bad decisions.
Quote:On a side note, I'm reading The Creature From Jeckyl Island. The first chapter talks about accounting and how banks take deposits and classify them as assets when they really are a liabilities to the depositor. You can call it semantics but accounting principles are misleading.
Well, this isn't exactly right. An oversimplification is that the actual cash that is being held in the accounts is an asset for the bank. The accounts themselves are liabilities. I think you're still confusing cash flow with asset.
Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021
Western Governors University
MBA IT Management, 2026
BS IT Security, 2018
Northwestern California University School of Law
1L 20cr completed, withdrew from school, 2023-24
Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023
Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015
Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 87
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021
Western Governors University
MBA IT Management, 2026
BS IT Security, 2018
Northwestern California University School of Law
1L 20cr completed, withdrew from school, 2023-24
Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023
Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015
Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 87
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)