Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
looking into a second degree
#18
(08-09-2017, 12:35 PM)pianostrings Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 12:16 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 10:26 AM)pianostrings Wrote: I've been researching and am very interested in the Excelsior BS in Natural Sciences.  It looks like I'd only have to take one or two classes there, the rest I could do with ACE and test credits.  It seems like a lot of people are choosing TESU and not Excelsior, so I'm wondering what I am missing?  Are there any issues I'll run into that I should know about ahead of time?

Thanks for the information, you have all really helped me

There are multiple reasons people have chosen TESU over EC/COSC, and I'll try to name a few of them.  None of the reasons, though, are NOT that it's a better school, or a better degree, or anything like that.

1) Excelsior and COSC charge per-term fees, meaning that you can't sign up ahead of time and lock in a catalog.  So, with the ability to do that at TESU, it seemed like the easier option.  You KNOW what you're getting ahead of time.

2) EC and COSC require 30cr of UL throughout the degree, including a specific number within the Major/Concentration.  These UL credits are harder to find, or more expensive on average (like using UExcel exams at $170 each rather than DSST or Study.com at $100 each).  TESU only requires 12-18cr of UL, and is more liberal in letting some courses come in at UL even if they aren't ACE-approved to do so.

3) Because TESU was the preferred choice for a long time, especially for business majors who could test out of the capstone until recently, a LOT of people used them.  Which meant a lot of feedback on what courses were coming in as.  So I (and others) were able to create a list of courses and the TESU course number for them.  Which meant that it got easier in time to determine exactly which courses you would need to plug into the degree plans.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are the main ones in my estimation.  It could easily swing the other way, or to another school entirely over time.  I personally have been recommending to friends (especially ones with zero credits) WGU if they want business or IT degrees.  It just seems like the better option for a lot of people I know right now.  Prior to this, I was recommending TESU.  I had a friend who has a LOT of credit (147cr, including a lot of UL), and she fit very well with a EC degree, so I pointed her in that direction.

Thank you that helps, I have lots of UL credit in Business, Economics, Statistics etc since I have a bachelors in business.  Looking through records I even have some graduate MBA courses.  Do you know if they would help with the UL credits needed even though I'm looking for a degree in a different direction?  I "think" only 18 need to be in the major area from what I'm reading.

Still trying to figure all of this out, Thanks

Those will count toward the UL credits you'll need outside of the major. You'll need more UL credits in the natural sciences for the major. TESU and Excelsior are different in what they'll count as natural sciences. Excelsior only counts actual natural science courses such as physics, chemistry, and biology. TESU throws mathematics and computer science into the mix. It's unfortunate that TESU got rid of it's natural science and mathematics major.
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc


Messages In This Thread
looking into a second degree - by pianostrings - 08-08-2017, 06:16 PM
RE: looking into a second degree - by rebel100 - 08-08-2017, 08:01 PM
RE: looking into a second degree - by SolarKat - 08-08-2017, 08:36 PM
RE: looking into a second degree - by eriehiker - 08-08-2017, 09:07 PM
RE: looking into a second degree - by eriehiker - 08-08-2017, 11:48 PM
RE: looking into a second degree - by SolarKat - 08-09-2017, 07:29 AM
RE: looking into a second degree - by sanantone - 08-09-2017, 03:44 AM
RE: looking into a second degree - by rebel100 - 08-09-2017, 07:38 AM
RE: looking into a second degree - by SolarKat - 08-09-2017, 11:10 AM
RE: looking into a second degree - by Ideas - 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM
RE: looking into a second degree - by dfrecore - 08-09-2017, 12:16 PM
RE: looking into a second degree - by sanantone - 08-09-2017, 05:47 PM
RE: looking into a second degree - by Silly_Me - 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM
RE: looking into a second degree - by eriehiker - 08-09-2017, 02:57 PM
RE: looking into a second degree - by dfrecore - 08-09-2017, 04:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 7,372 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 6,275 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 7,360 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 6,241 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 10,819 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 5,059 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 11,553 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 4,285 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 5,212 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 5,981 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)