02-10-2018, 01:37 PM
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2018, 01:43 PM by burbuja0512.)
What about account management or new business development? Yes, those are both "sales" jobs, but when you are in these types of positions at a B2B level, not selling to consumers, they can be a great job.
Why?
*You like deadlines? You'll never see larger deadlines than in meeting your monthly/quarterly/yearly objectives.
*Get bored easily and always looking for a challenge? Customers are difficult to please, but I have found it to be a fun way to keep my brain occupied - always trying to find a solution to retain the customer or grow the business
*Satisfaction with knowing that your efforts are directly responsible for revenue.
*Let's be honest. The reason people go into sales is for the money. At the right company, you can go from a solid 40-60k wage to 6-figures in just a few years. Every job is stressful and sales can be considered VERY high stress at times, but having the money to lead a comfortable lifestyle can definitely offset stress in other areas of life.
WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR:
*Avoid at all costs any employer that is vague about position description or company.
*DO NOT work for someone that won't pay you a decent and livable salary. Yes, commissions come, but many times, the client buying cycle is uneven. You need to feed your family on the months that you didn't get a commission check.
*Don't sell a product that you don't believe in. Sales is a legitimate profession. People need products and salesmen/women are needed to help. BUT you have to believe in your product. If you don't, it will make you miserable and unsuccessful.
*Evaluate your personality. Lots of account managers and new business development professionals are shy, but 100% of sales people will at one point need to manage their fear of public speaking. Don't worry about how you feel NOW, you will learn how to speak in front of a group. Just be willing to learn and take up Toastmasters or find another way to improve if you need to hone your public speaking.
*If you can't get into sales immediately with a good company, you can try your luck with a start-up, or you can start off as a customer service rep to work your way up. There are many other options of course, but these are two that I've seen commonly. Customer service to sales is a very smooth path, especially when you're at a company who promotes from within.
Overall, it might not be right for you, but I would not trade my career in sales for anything. I was making a decent living before I had my BS and higher education just helped me take it to the next level. I used what I knew domestically and took it international. Since then, I've traveled to 60 countries and done business all over the world. It's been amazing and never a dull moment!
Edit: One last comment. Account Managers usually work with existing clients and New Business Development Managers often have no existing clients and solely "hunt" business. Many companies have positions that involve some degree of both. However, if you're searching for a new job, if you use these two terms, you will likely avoid the B2C jobs out there. Don't type in "sales representative" unless you want a LARGE grab bag of jobs that will be 90% crap.
Why?
*You like deadlines? You'll never see larger deadlines than in meeting your monthly/quarterly/yearly objectives.
*Get bored easily and always looking for a challenge? Customers are difficult to please, but I have found it to be a fun way to keep my brain occupied - always trying to find a solution to retain the customer or grow the business
*Satisfaction with knowing that your efforts are directly responsible for revenue.
*Let's be honest. The reason people go into sales is for the money. At the right company, you can go from a solid 40-60k wage to 6-figures in just a few years. Every job is stressful and sales can be considered VERY high stress at times, but having the money to lead a comfortable lifestyle can definitely offset stress in other areas of life.
WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR:
*Avoid at all costs any employer that is vague about position description or company.
*DO NOT work for someone that won't pay you a decent and livable salary. Yes, commissions come, but many times, the client buying cycle is uneven. You need to feed your family on the months that you didn't get a commission check.
*Don't sell a product that you don't believe in. Sales is a legitimate profession. People need products and salesmen/women are needed to help. BUT you have to believe in your product. If you don't, it will make you miserable and unsuccessful.
*Evaluate your personality. Lots of account managers and new business development professionals are shy, but 100% of sales people will at one point need to manage their fear of public speaking. Don't worry about how you feel NOW, you will learn how to speak in front of a group. Just be willing to learn and take up Toastmasters or find another way to improve if you need to hone your public speaking.
*If you can't get into sales immediately with a good company, you can try your luck with a start-up, or you can start off as a customer service rep to work your way up. There are many other options of course, but these are two that I've seen commonly. Customer service to sales is a very smooth path, especially when you're at a company who promotes from within.
Overall, it might not be right for you, but I would not trade my career in sales for anything. I was making a decent living before I had my BS and higher education just helped me take it to the next level. I used what I knew domestically and took it international. Since then, I've traveled to 60 countries and done business all over the world. It's been amazing and never a dull moment!
Edit: One last comment. Account Managers usually work with existing clients and New Business Development Managers often have no existing clients and solely "hunt" business. Many companies have positions that involve some degree of both. However, if you're searching for a new job, if you use these two terms, you will likely avoid the B2C jobs out there. Don't type in "sales representative" unless you want a LARGE grab bag of jobs that will be 90% crap.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English)
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin
My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63| SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin
My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63| SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)