Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!)
#41
(01-20-2019, 01:48 PM)allvia Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 12:18 PM)Mil0 Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 12:06 PM)allvia Wrote: Keep in mind that if they end up as electives (or anything non AOS) there are far cheaper ways to gain back those 27 credits than paying $88 Per Credit to have them converted (27 credits is only 9 courses/exams).


Thanks for this reminder!! I just went to double check as well because for some of the FEMA IS courses to count as 1 credit hour, you have to take 2-5 classes. Luckily it turns out it is $88/per credit hour and they've got them combined properly, at least. 

Since finishing the TEEX courses, I have so much free time that I'm sitting here waiting. I'm still trying to figure out the ALEKS secrets that a couple of people have posted about, which I just don't understand. I'm tryin to figure out what math class I should take from ALEKS that will cover my 3 or 4 math credits that are needed but I'm not sure which class will translate and is the easiest out of what would count. It's not that I am trying to avoid working hard, it's just that if I don't need to take a really hard course, why bother! 

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it!


All the Big 3 take NCCRS credits, and since you need both gen eds and electives I'd recommend you use this free time while you wait for which school works best for you to take some courses through OD (https://www.onlinedegree.com/) - $9 for 3 credits (expect Cooking - it's a 2 credit elective), work at your own pace (as most things posted here are).

I'd recommend you try the FREE ethics course (see the wiki) - I believe it is currently set to expire at the end of this month - so grab it while you can, and if you do opt for TESU it will meet the Ethics requirement (they apply a waiver for the one credit difference), it will just be applied elsewhere for the other Big 3 schools.

Also ALEKS is only one (very cheap) ACE option for your needed math credit. I personally did a few with them and then my Statistics with SL (I was never going to pass the ALEKS Stats - at least not in any affordable time frame)  - so I wouldn't worry about that one subject at this time as it applies to the Big 3.

Edit: as far as the TESU program you posted about (https://www.tesu.edu/watson/bs/homeland-security), other than the Area A 6 Required AOS courses, the rest can gained through alternative methods we talk about here, including the B Area of Study Electives. And that just with a quick glance - it is possible that some of the Required AOS may have alt sources as well.

Thank you! I'm going to check out OD and see what courses I can knock out from there. I really need to figure out my degree plan so that I can make sure I'm taking things that make sense or will translate properly but for some reason, this is all super intimidating. I think it's because college was always something that wasn't even worth discussing in my family because we were generally just trying to make sure we had food to eat the next day. It's crazy how much things have changed now and where I've gone in life but that still doesn't get rid of the old baggage you pick up while growing up!
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - by Mil0 - 01-21-2019, 01:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Todd Wallack WP: For less than $100, I clicked my way toward a college degree in days LevelUP 32 4,435 09-28-2026, 04:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Survey: Majority of Americans Say College Not Affordable LevelUP 15 1,673 09-25-2026, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  College costs top $100,000 at 15 schools LevelUP 0 342 08-21-2026, 01:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  This College Now Verifies Students’ Real-World Skills To Help Them Get Jobs LevelUP 0 379 08-17-2026, 08:32 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The Rise Of The Vibe School In College Admissions LevelUP 7 1,328 08-05-2026, 04:33 PM
Last Post: lickington
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 12 7,030 07-22-2026, 03:25 PM
Last Post: tomicavols
  College Students Are Testing at the Level of 10-Year-Olds LevelUP 8 1,886 07-08-2026, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Academic ‘boot camp’ helps veterans build college confidence LevelUP 0 544 06-30-2026, 07:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Over 41 Million Adults Say They Want To Enroll In College, But Will They? LevelUP 2 738 06-12-2026, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  5 Smart Tips for Choosing a College and Major in the AI Era LevelUP 0 652 05-31-2026, 04:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)