Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Recommendations for least expensive online MSW?
#16
(06-21-2021, 06:56 AM)openair Wrote: We definitely moved to a new topic. Here are my thoughts on the topics that you’ve raised:

Bob Jones University is currently accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (regional) and the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (national, faith-based). This means that the claim that it is the “only school in the country that has this level of academic rigor and reputation, but is not accredited” wouldn’t be a reflection of the current state of things. You would be correct, if you were speaking about the long stretch when the school did not have accreditation. That’s true.

Interesting.  I was not aware that BJU had, ahem, let go of its bigotry. I'd guess that's due more to the changing landscape of education, and the realization that it would likely have had difficulty surviving without regional accreditation and the eligibility for various federal benefits that it brings with it than it is with a full-throated acknowledgement that their perspective wasn't the best.  For all I know it could also be due to the passing of old guard who were vehemently opposed. Sometimes progress happens through attrition. In any case, it seems like a win for everyone.

Quote:There is nothing about the conservative Christian teaching that necessitates shunning of gays, or discrimination. The teaching addresses sinful action in a specifically Christian sexual relationship context (professing Christian people with this attraction are typically instructed to stay celibate. Conservative Christians generally do not believe in forcing conversion therapy on people who feel these attractions) and this has no bearing on the work of a social worker, who has to work with clients of all faith and non-faith backgrounds. The Christian teaching does not claim that those who engage in this activity are less human and deserve to be treated worse than heterosexual people. If that was the consequence, I would agree with your argument. However, I just don’t see this particular connection.

In principle, I agree with your perspective as well. And I think that's why there are indeed many wonderful Christian-rooted schools that are accepting and embracing of LGBT students as well as other perspectives and beliefs that may not be in keeping what some more conservative Christians may advocate.

Quote:Of course, some (not all) gay advocacy groups claim that the teaching on sin strikes them as homophobic,
Well... I frankly think there are an awful lot of patently ridiculous claims that come out of the left-leaning folks, such as the idea that somehow the mere act of critically analyzing varius far-left perspectives or viewpoints is, by itself, an "act of violence."  And sadly, I see people, even licensed professionals, who advance this perspective.  

Basically, I'm not at all in favor of regional accreditors or CSWE or any other accreditor, programmatic or institituional, preventing anyone from holding a belief.  Where it gets complicated and difficult is when holding a belief involves suppressing opportunities or rights of others, and I think we have to be especially careful of that when we are training helping professionals.  From what little I know of CSWE, it seems that they are trying to walk a delicate and difficult line, and, on the whole, seem to be doing a pretty good job of it

Now, with that said, I'd love to hear about any other low-cost MSW programs anyone has to suggest. Smile[/quote]
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Recommendations for least expensive online MSW? - by studyingfortests - 06-21-2021, 02:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommendations for a Business Analytics Program EthanMDFN 3 669 7 hours ago
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  UT - Austin/EDX, MS Artificial Intelligence Online bjcheung77 6 25,710 10-02-2026, 06:45 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  NEW Fordham Online Masters in International Humanitarian Action smartdegree 0 535 08-18-2026, 06:50 PM
Last Post: smartdegree
  New Fully Online MS in Quantum Computing (Fei Tian College) - $20k truthfulness 7 1,124 08-13-2026, 04:15 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  UGC Opens Door to One-Year Online Master’s from India Jonathan Whatley 1 795 08-06-2026, 05:42 AM
Last Post: cc95
  Some Movement Toward Hybrid Online Degrees for Psychologists and Psych Practitioners Jonathan Whatley 0 955 07-17-2026, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  MBA (Máster Universitario) Online for 1275€ - Universidad de las Hespérides (Spain) Voldigoad 17 4,412 07-16-2026, 09:16 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Assessing the International Equivalency/acceptance of Online Degrees from the Big 3 Aimed 24 9,275 06-18-2026, 11:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Teesside University: Online MS Cybersecurity £7,560 (~$10K USD) bjcheung77 5 3,843 06-10-2026, 12:07 AM
Last Post: RKanarek
  Harvard Kennedy School 10-Year Plan Eyes Increasing Online Programs Jonathan Whatley 0 1,084 06-06-2026, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)