Nobody likes the concept of 'pulling up the ladder behind you.' It feels unfair on a visceral level. Labor markets react to supply and demand. The professions with salaries that have outstripped inflation have continually increased the entry requirements. Those that have not have seen wages on a real basis steadily decline.
What these schools are doing protects the value of the degree of the alumni. It absolutely sucks for those still working toward that goal.
This forum has done a phenomenal job showing an ever growing subset of college students how to complete a degree in a cheaper and less onerous way than the traditional method. Sadly, we are now a victim of our own success. I sound like a broken record always preaching that it WILL NOT get cheaper, easier or faster to complete a degree over the next few years. If you want/need one, doing it now and doing it as fast as possible is the best advice to save money and effort.
I hope the whole rotten edifice of post secondary education (especially in the U.S.) collapses and I think it will eventually from its own bloated dead weight. However I don't think it will happen on a timeline that helps anyone old enough to be worried about a degree right now.
This is an excellent forum (pun intended) to get together and complain about these types of decisions but expect more of them. Finish your degree!
What these schools are doing protects the value of the degree of the alumni. It absolutely sucks for those still working toward that goal.
This forum has done a phenomenal job showing an ever growing subset of college students how to complete a degree in a cheaper and less onerous way than the traditional method. Sadly, we are now a victim of our own success. I sound like a broken record always preaching that it WILL NOT get cheaper, easier or faster to complete a degree over the next few years. If you want/need one, doing it now and doing it as fast as possible is the best advice to save money and effort.
I hope the whole rotten edifice of post secondary education (especially in the U.S.) collapses and I think it will eventually from its own bloated dead weight. However I don't think it will happen on a timeline that helps anyone old enough to be worried about a degree right now.
This is an excellent forum (pun intended) to get together and complain about these types of decisions but expect more of them. Finish your degree!


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)