Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
WGU Ranked #3 Best Online Cybersecurity Master's Program
#11
(12-15-2022, 11:08 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 08:49 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 05:30 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 04:38 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote: I got into the program. Now I feel speshul.

No application fee and everyone wanting to get into cybersecurity is likely where this % has come from.

That's it. There's no risk in applying because there's no application fee. If there's a $75 application fee, and you know you don't meet the minimum requirements, you're likely not going to apply.
This thread got me thinking: what happens if you apply to WGU (complete all the initial application stuff) but don’t send in transcripts or don’t complete other required steps to be fully admitted/be enrolled?  What if you start the application but don’t finish it?

Do they reject your application?  Close it as incomplete?  Leave it open indefinitely?  Something else?

I ask because I could see a lot of people submitting the application—it is free and pretty quick, after all—but then not ordering transcripts or taking other necessary steps to actually start taking classes.  It wouldn’t be at all surprising if more than half of the people who started the application process didn’t finish it. That could help make your program look a heck of a lot more selective than it really is if these people are counted as rejected.

That's something to consider, but there are also some schools that send transcripts for free for a limited amount of time or for a limited number of transcripts. Then, there are schools with low fees. IIRC, the first several transcripts from two of the schools I graduated from were free. One of them now only charges $5.

(12-14-2022, 09:42 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 08:49 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 05:30 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 04:38 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote: I got into the program. Now I feel speshul.

No application fee and everyone wanting to get into cybersecurity is likely where this % has come from.

That's it. There's no risk in applying because there's no application fee. If there's a $75 application fee, and you know you don't meet the minimum requirements, you're likely not going to apply.
This thread got me thinking: what happens if you apply to WGU (complete all the initial application stuff) but don’t send in transcripts or don’t complete other required steps to be fully admitted/be enrolled?  What if you start the application but don’t finish it?

Do they reject your application?  Close it as incomplete?  Leave it open indefinitely?  Something else?

I ask because I could see a lot of people submitting the application—it is free and pretty quick, after all—but then not ordering transcripts or taking other necessary steps to actually start taking classes.  It wouldn’t be at all surprising if more than half of the people who started the application process didn’t finish it. That could help make your program look a heck of a lot more selective than it really is if these people are counted as rejected.

Maybe but to me, that would be incomplete if they did not make an actual decision but if worded correctly and stated as applied vs accepted, then they are within the wordsmithing rules of the road. Heck, maybe those that wrote the article asked for raw data and came up with this on their own. Anyways, I love the English language as it allows for creativity and can control those unable to think critically. Did you know that 100% of all teenage pregnancies only occur with girls under the age of 20?

Fortune misinterpreting data is another possibility. I'm not sure if WGU tracks acceptance rates. I believe only their undergraduate nursing program is competitive.
I agree. Besides 6 or 8 mentioned the entire ranking is probably just bad guessing. Or paid advertising

(12-15-2022, 11:46 AM)Pats20 Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 11:08 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 08:49 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 05:30 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 04:38 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote: I got into the program. Now I feel speshul.

No application fee and everyone wanting to get into cybersecurity is likely where this % has come from.

That's it. There's no risk in applying because there's no application fee. If there's a $75 application fee, and you know you don't meet the minimum requirements, you're likely not going to apply.
This thread got me thinking: what happens if you apply to WGU (complete all the initial application stuff) but don’t send in transcripts or don’t complete other required steps to be fully admitted/be enrolled?  What if you start the application but don’t finish it?

Do they reject your application?  Close it as incomplete?  Leave it open indefinitely?  Something else?

I ask because I could see a lot of people submitting the application—it is free and pretty quick, after all—but then not ordering transcripts or taking other necessary steps to actually start taking classes.  It wouldn’t be at all surprising if more than half of the people who started the application process didn’t finish it. That could help make your program look a heck of a lot more selective than it really is if these people are counted as rejected.

That's something to consider, but there are also some schools that send transcripts for free for a limited amount of time or for a limited number of transcripts. Then, there are schools with low fees. IIRC, the first several transcripts from two of the schools I graduated from were free. One of them now only charges $5.

(12-14-2022, 09:42 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 08:49 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 05:30 PM)sanantone Wrote: That's it. There's no risk in applying because there's no application fee. If there's a $75 application fee, and you know you don't meet the minimum requirements, you're likely not going to apply.
This thread got me thinking: what happens if you apply to WGU (complete all the initial application stuff) but don’t send in transcripts or don’t complete other required steps to be fully admitted/be enrolled?  What if you start the application but don’t finish it?

Do they reject your application?  Close it as incomplete?  Leave it open indefinitely?  Something else?

I ask because I could see a lot of people submitting the application—it is free and pretty quick, after all—but then not ordering transcripts or taking other necessary steps to actually start taking classes.  It wouldn’t be at all surprising if more than half of the people who started the application process didn’t finish it. That could help make your program look a heck of a lot more selective than it really is if these people are counted as rejected.

Maybe but to me, that would be incomplete if they did not make an actual decision but if worded correctly and stated as applied vs accepted, then they are within the wordsmithing rules of the road. Heck, maybe those that wrote the article asked for raw data and came up with this on their own. Anyways, I love the English language as it allows for creativity and can control those unable to think critically. Did you know that 100% of all teenage pregnancies only occur with girls under the age of 20?

Fortune misinterpreting data is another possibility. I'm not sure if WGU tracks acceptance rates. I believe only their undergraduate nursing program is competitive.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: WGU Ranked #3 Best Online Cybersecurity Master's Program - by Pats20 - 12-15-2022, 11:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommendations for a Business Analytics Program EthanMDFN 4 722 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ENEB New Master Thread bjcheung77 798 277,498 Yesterday, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Maltus
  Unimarconi Master via ENEB Thread Kalas 140 37,136 10-02-2026, 11:15 PM
Last Post: PearsonOTHMQualifi7654
  Arcada University: Big Data Analytics (Specialisation studies) Master-level 30 ECTS animuscerebri 3 3,083 10-02-2026, 11:09 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  UT - Austin/EDX, MS Artificial Intelligence Online bjcheung77 6 25,751 10-02-2026, 06:45 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  ETAMU Master's in Organizational Leadership VanillaBean 0 179 10-01-2026, 12:02 PM
Last Post: VanillaBean
  Newlane's Master in Philosophy marcelor78 33 4,239 09-23-2026, 05:50 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  CLEA Masstercursos master course paddyqr 127 49,896 09-12-2026, 09:01 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Master of Science in Finance Mint Berry Crunch 3 1,083 08-18-2026, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  NEW Fordham Online Masters in International Humanitarian Action smartdegree 0 542 08-18-2026, 06:50 PM
Last Post: smartdegree

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)