04-28-2023, 10:04 PM
(04-28-2023, 08:14 PM)ss20ts Wrote: When I first enrolled at UMPI, the average student completed 2-3 courses per session! That number has been skewed because of us. Most people don't transfer in with a boatload of credit like we do. Most people don't complete their degree in 1 or 2 sessions like many of us have. Most people are taking a few years or longer. I have yet to see someone post on here that they spent 4 years completing a degree since finding the forum. Surely, someone has taken 4 years because they're doing this part time and have other priorities in life.
I'm probably an irrelevant data point for a variety of reasons, but when I first started at TESC, I was heavily guided by the old sister site to this one. I started my CLEP/DSST journey in 2000, and graduated in fall of 2004 with my BSAST. I transferred in a massive amount of military training to TESC, plus a boat load of exams, and completed the nuclear AOS at the time by taking brick and mortar graduate classes at my local state university, and transferring them back to TESC. It was a convoluted journey, compared to today's options.
For round two at the now-named TESU, I originally came here in 2019. I think I got as far as signing up for one month of SDC and one month of Sophia, but never actually completed any courses. I planned, planned, planned, and planned some more, but didn't enroll until January 2023. Only did one Sophia class that month. But then the light bulb went on this month for some unknown reason, and I blasted through 24 semester hours of the BSBA business core this month. At my current pace, I'll finish the CIS AOS by the end of May, and I'm debating whether I want to keep or drop the second AOS (accounting). So I'm not sure how to measure all that.
What this particular thread is opening my eyes to is the fact that for a graduate degree, I need to seriously consider my motivation to finish at an accelerated pace vs finding a program that has a flat-rate cost. Even a full year at UMPI or WGU is incredibly affordable, but if I fall off the education wagon for two years, that becomes pretty expensive to finish.
In progress:
BS CIS - TESU (2026)
Undergrad Cert. Psychology - TESU (2026)
MA Philosophy - Newlane (2028)
Completed:
BSAST Nuclear Engineering Technologies - TESU (2004)
BS CIS - TESU (2026)
Undergrad Cert. Psychology - TESU (2026)
MA Philosophy - Newlane (2028)
Completed:
BSAST Nuclear Engineering Technologies - TESU (2004)


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)