Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
UMPI Collecting credits before applying?
#18
(08-24-2023, 01:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 09:08 AM)Duneranger Wrote: As someone who works in the realm, I would REALLY reconsider med school at 54. It is a 200-250k (Caribbean/US...Canada a bit cheaper) investment and realistically you wouldn't get done with residency till 60. Then you have 5-6 years of actual practice. You will spend your entire paycheck on loans. Med school is pretty ageist so I would be surprised if you got an admission to be honest. Even if you killed it with GPA/MCAT scores.

The oldest resident I have known was early 40s (started med school mid late 30s) and he was really questioning his decision at that time.

In-person for pre-reqs is HIGHLY preferred...

I'm 48 and I can't even imagine beginning med school at my age. I couldn't keep up with the hours required for studying and then internships and residency.....kill me now! It's one thing to go without sleep for a day or 2 in your 20's. In your 40's it's a whole different world.

Honestly the amount of info and knowledge required is like drinking through a fire hose constantly. 12-16 hour days studying 6 days a week. Its insane. Then the dreaded 2 years of clinicals after board exams. Half the residents I knew who were in their 20s or early 30s were semi-regretting the decision but too deep in to give up.

At 54 with a family? If a person has the neuroplasticity at that point in life I would be surprised. But even if they did overcome that, I am sure they would be looking at their family excommunicating them.

My brother became a CRNA (nurse anesthesia). It was a doctoral program with most students in their mid 20s to mid 30s. 5 divorces by the end.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: UMPI Collecting credits before applying? - by Duneranger - 08-24-2023, 02:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI's under review by NECHE?? GoBroncos95 29 2,211 09-27-2026, 06:34 AM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  UMPI Master of Science in Business Jonathan Whatley 102 53,034 09-08-2026, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Easiest Natural Science UMPI Course? LevelUP 5 991 09-06-2026, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  UMPI Proposing 90-Credit YourPace BLS and Applied Psychology BA Jonathan Whatley 39 14,606 08-16-2026, 09:07 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI CBE Master’s in Human Services Planned, and MHA Still Happening Jonathan Whatley 8 2,050 08-14-2026, 10:20 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  Credits for DSST exams at UMPI any4yeardegree 7 1,295 08-14-2026, 01:20 AM
Last Post: daydream
  UMPI Your Pace New General Education Requirements Fall 2026 (New Degree Plan) LevelUP 8 3,893 08-13-2026, 07:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI YourPace Fall 2026 majors - clarification request lauramichele1 0 695 08-12-2026, 05:15 PM
Last Post: lauramichele1
  UMPI Article: Rebuilding Trust in Higher Ed Using CBE LevelUP 4 894 07-29-2026, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Swiss Cognac
  Discontinued Minors At UMPI... RIP MIS, BA & Management Swiss Cognac 4 1,402 07-28-2026, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)