Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
UMPI Collecting credits before applying?
#25
(08-24-2023, 08:27 PM)MSK9 Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 05:43 PM)Duneranger Wrote: I wouldn't say it's dramatic considering the number of workable years you have once you finish residency. Most MDs do not work into their 80s and those that do have done the craft for a very long time. Not fresh attendings in their 60s. In 10+ years I don't think I have worked with any residents above their early 40s. Are their older students out there? I am there sure there are but it's very rare.

I am not here to shatter this guy's dreams but I don't think he knows how in-depth the commitment is, to be frank (based on the data/info he provided). Certainly, I was lowballing the cost. It is highly dependent on schools (DO vs MD as well). Public service programs exist (Indian Health is one possibility), but also involve probably more moving. I knew a guy who went to Havre, MT for loan repayment. Okay for someone in their 20/30s, but for a guy with family in their 50s? I don't know.

I am well aware of the STEP exams and I just think you are underestimating the difficulty of someone cold pursuing this in their mid 50s and trying to get board certified in their 60s. This is assuming they match into a 3 year residency and not something longer.

I am not saying it's impossible, nothing is. But it's prudent to be realistic.
To clarify, I said many have worked into their eighties; even if I hadn't known it to be true (which I do, infact), it would be statistically improbable to not not be true given the number of total physicians spread across civilization over time but that's splitting hairs.
Some examples:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/more-doct...-1.1126254
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/972844
https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care...xtends-70s

Regardless, you're right in that it's his due diligence to do research on what the commitment entails. Thus, I listed both pro and con.

Some articles with thoughts on medical students >40 years old:

https://www.aamc.org/news/med-school-after-40
https://www.aamc.org/news/older-medical-...-and-match
https://medicalschoolhq.net/mshq-011-int...l-student/

'Difficulty' is a relative term. Whether or not the Adrian pulls the trigger is up to him and his family. Similarly, his success or failure lies with him alone. The process is a pain in the ass, especially for older people. I'm as willing to talk about the negatives of it as I am the positives. I'm merely providing the information and perspective to help him make an informed choice as someone who has done it.

I get it, I am sure your perspective for him would be valuable.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: UMPI Collecting credits before applying? - by Duneranger - 08-24-2023, 09:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI's under review by NECHE?? GoBroncos95 29 2,071 Yesterday, 06:34 AM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  UMPI Master of Science in Business Jonathan Whatley 102 53,014 09-08-2026, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Easiest Natural Science UMPI Course? LevelUP 5 983 09-06-2026, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  UMPI Proposing 90-Credit YourPace BLS and Applied Psychology BA Jonathan Whatley 39 14,575 08-16-2026, 09:07 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI CBE Master’s in Human Services Planned, and MHA Still Happening Jonathan Whatley 8 2,044 08-14-2026, 10:20 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  Credits for DSST exams at UMPI any4yeardegree 7 1,295 08-14-2026, 01:20 AM
Last Post: daydream
  UMPI Your Pace New General Education Requirements Fall 2026 (New Degree Plan) LevelUP 8 3,871 08-13-2026, 07:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI YourPace Fall 2026 majors - clarification request lauramichele1 0 684 08-12-2026, 05:15 PM
Last Post: lauramichele1
  UMPI Article: Rebuilding Trust in Higher Ed Using CBE LevelUP 4 891 07-29-2026, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Swiss Cognac
  Discontinued Minors At UMPI... RIP MIS, BA & Management Swiss Cognac 4 1,398 07-28-2026, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)