03-17-2024, 06:18 PM
Hello everyone, I am quite new to this community, only finding about it earlier today. I also never knew about communities such as this one where people look to maximize their education in this way be it with graduation speed (speed running bachelors?) and / or minimize spent money. I never thought that something like this could be done and I am really interested, not to mention this gives me a bit of hope.
I am slowly going through the beginner guides (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...dit--24842) but I also have some questions that I was hoping someone could help with.
Some background on me:
I am Canadian and have a college 2yr program diploma in Computer Engineering technology from Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. I graduated in 2013. I do not remember my college grades (to be honest, they were not that great, maybe about 2.7 out of 4 gpa). I do not remember my high school grades either, but again, they were not the best (I believe around 60's% - 70's%).
My goal:
I need to get a bachelor of computer science or computer engineering (although I am heavily on the computer science) to advance my web dev / soft engineering career (I have been a professional in this field for around 6 - 6.5yr now). I don't think the university matters as long as it's accredited. I am mostly interested in getting the paper as soon as I can.
Initially, I thought I was a bit screwed due to my high school / college grades but I found out that some universities have mature student or continued education admissions which seem to be easier / a bit easier to get through but still not sure if I can actually get in. I also found a couple Canadian universities that seem to offer online programs (university of Athabasca, Thompson rivers university) which gives me some hope.
My questions:
- Anyone here have any experiences with Canadian schools? I would also be ok with attending an international university (I noticed many USA uni's are talked about in this community) as long as I could get it for a reasonable price (I also noticed some threads talking about quite cheap and / or free courses for credits)
-Most important question: Am I actually screwed due to my lackluster grades in high school and college or can I somehow get into a bachelor of computer science program somewhere?
Side note:
Apologies if portions of my text were talked about elsewhere. I am still looking through everything, it's just that I am feeling pretty overwhelmed and stressed out about the whole situation.
I am slowly going through the beginner guides (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...dit--24842) but I also have some questions that I was hoping someone could help with.
Some background on me:
I am Canadian and have a college 2yr program diploma in Computer Engineering technology from Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. I graduated in 2013. I do not remember my college grades (to be honest, they were not that great, maybe about 2.7 out of 4 gpa). I do not remember my high school grades either, but again, they were not the best (I believe around 60's% - 70's%).
My goal:
I need to get a bachelor of computer science or computer engineering (although I am heavily on the computer science) to advance my web dev / soft engineering career (I have been a professional in this field for around 6 - 6.5yr now). I don't think the university matters as long as it's accredited. I am mostly interested in getting the paper as soon as I can.
Initially, I thought I was a bit screwed due to my high school / college grades but I found out that some universities have mature student or continued education admissions which seem to be easier / a bit easier to get through but still not sure if I can actually get in. I also found a couple Canadian universities that seem to offer online programs (university of Athabasca, Thompson rivers university) which gives me some hope.
My questions:
- Anyone here have any experiences with Canadian schools? I would also be ok with attending an international university (I noticed many USA uni's are talked about in this community) as long as I could get it for a reasonable price (I also noticed some threads talking about quite cheap and / or free courses for credits)
-Most important question: Am I actually screwed due to my lackluster grades in high school and college or can I somehow get into a bachelor of computer science program somewhere?
Side note:
Apologies if portions of my text were talked about elsewhere. I am still looking through everything, it's just that I am feeling pretty overwhelmed and stressed out about the whole situation.


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)