Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I’m Finishing My TESU Degree Without Debt or Burnout : Here’s Exactly How I’m Doing..
#23
(07-01-2025, 01:01 PM)katannshaw Wrote:  I need them to do a portfolio review to see what professional experience and certifications can count towards college credit. Unfortunately they only do it if you take their 12-week "Prior Learning Assessment" course beforehand, which you have to pay for.
Keep in mind that what I am about to say is based on my own experiences with portfolio evaluations which are almost 10 years old by now. 

 PLA-100 will teach you how to evaluate your own past experiences to see if you have enough experience in a certain subject to receive credit for it. One of the nice benefits of taking this course is that you can have up to 12 credits evaluated, which translates into four courses, for no additional tuition cost besides the cost of the PLA course.

It's possible I don't quite understand what you said in the quote above. But I'm wondering if you're putting the cart before the horse. You're not going to sit down with an advisor and have them say "oh yeah you have enough experience to write portfolios, go ahead and do it and we'll will give you credit."  you will decide if you have enough experience, and if you can gather enough evidence. Have you looked through the portfolio database? https://www2.tesu.edu/plasearch.php

This has all of the courses that are eligible for portfolio reviews. You might want to start there to see if there are courses that correspond to your experience, that will also work in your degree plan. Then you can decide if you want to take the PLA course and write up to 4 portfolios to receive credit for four courses. 

There's a link in my bio that takes you to my portfolio tips. In a nutshell, you need to collect evidence of your past experiences that corresponds to a course that you find in the database. You will also need to write an essay about those experiences. 

I'm a huge fan of portfolios because they work very well for the right type of person. Let me know if you have any questions about them. Wishing you the best of luck!  Smile
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tesu-acct-student's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
Reply


Messages In This Thread
The Slower Days Still Count. - by ColePalmer - 06-25-2025, 04:32 PM
RE: The Slower Days Still Count. - by SammyHam - 06-27-2025, 01:39 PM
Finding My Pace After Python - by ColePalmer - 06-19-2025, 12:35 PM
RE: I’m Finishing My TESU Degree Without Debt or Burnout : Here’s Exactly How I’m Doing.. - by tesu-acct-student - 07-21-2025, 10:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACEI Finland evaluation to TESU homeschoolmom1 2 609 10-04-2026, 09:33 PM
Last Post: abel1303
Question The Final Frontier: Capstone LIB-4970 or LIB-4950 for BACS and TESU's Recent Changes animuscerebri 24 11,208 10-01-2026, 08:17 PM
Last Post: justsomeguy
  UK-based, 25yr IT pro, planning TESU BS Cybersecurity — plan sanity check smilingbuddha 4 1,664 09-26-2026, 12:31 AM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  TESU BACS Interested justsomeguy 3 537 09-21-2026, 01:56 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Information TESU Introduces Accelerated Courses (4-week format) animuscerebri 25 5,598 09-21-2026, 01:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU BSAT APS 400, 401 402 Alts? EvilSandman 3 2,211 09-20-2026, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Phracker Jacks
  TESU Bachelor Data Analytics after Statistics.com is gone homeschoolmom1 1 378 09-14-2026, 03:57 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  TESU Foreign Language BA resistk 13 5,515 09-09-2026, 10:46 PM
Last Post: degreedude80
  TESU Foreign Language B.A. -- degree planning help degreedude80 6 568 09-09-2026, 10:01 PM
Last Post: degreedude80
  TESU ILA to BA degree - apply now or wait? degreedude80 9 775 09-09-2026, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sunny21

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)