03-18-2006, 09:27 PM
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2006, 09:32 PM by libartsmgr.)
Y'all have to keep in mind, the test is the test - whether it's CLEP or DSST - they are designed to ask questions to guage your knowledge of the subject matter. That's the information that's outlined in their fact sheets or guides. Instacert also uses the headings from the guides as the groupings for the flashcards. The ONLY difference between paper and CBT is how the test is delivered.
Also keep in mind (this was posted by someone else in another thread, too) that both Collegeboard and Chauncy Group have many forms of their exams. Different testing centers get different forms, some have multiple forms and some only have one, it just depends. Each form contains a certain number of items that are live and a certain number that are field test items. They will never tell you which are which. When the exam is graded, the field test items don't count toward your score.
When it comes to fees, I think the only difference between military and civilian is who covers the cost. I'm civilian but from what I gather just from the various posts here, military are fortunate enough to get either all or the majority of the fee paid for them.
One last thing to note - CLEP is computer-based, however you still only get a PRELIMINARY score when you complete the exam. The actual score is processed by the scoring groups at ETS (I think they do both CLEP and DSST - but I could be wrong). The final score is then sent to the school you selected before you began the exam. If you want an official CLEP score you have to pay for a transcript. Because DSST is paper, they also send you a copy of your transcript when they send it to the school.
Hope this helps clarify.
Also keep in mind (this was posted by someone else in another thread, too) that both Collegeboard and Chauncy Group have many forms of their exams. Different testing centers get different forms, some have multiple forms and some only have one, it just depends. Each form contains a certain number of items that are live and a certain number that are field test items. They will never tell you which are which. When the exam is graded, the field test items don't count toward your score.
When it comes to fees, I think the only difference between military and civilian is who covers the cost. I'm civilian but from what I gather just from the various posts here, military are fortunate enough to get either all or the majority of the fee paid for them.
One last thing to note - CLEP is computer-based, however you still only get a PRELIMINARY score when you complete the exam. The actual score is processed by the scoring groups at ETS (I think they do both CLEP and DSST - but I could be wrong). The final score is then sent to the school you selected before you began the exam. If you want an official CLEP score you have to pay for a transcript. Because DSST is paper, they also send you a copy of your transcript when they send it to the school.
Hope this helps clarify.


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)