Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
A word of warning about test-out degrees.
#26
Maniac Craniac Wrote:Thank you for sharing your experiences.

If there is anything to learn from your example, its to

1) Have realistic expectations.
2) Have a clear plan.
3) A degree is JUST a degree. More is needed.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that your degree is actually hurting you, as compared to not having one at all. You may be, for the reasons you mentioned, disadvantaged when compared to other students, but are you really worse off than someone who boasts no degree and an equal amount of experience?

I want to relay my experience in this. I am 25, have been working since 15 (so 10 years of formal work experience), have run a business, and have worked in web development, which frequently requires a BS CompSci degree.

On Monday, I went to an Idealist Grad Fair to look at master's programs before going onto my PhD in Clinical Psychology. Over and over again I heard from admissions reps what a good chance I stand getting into grad school because I have experience. I don't consider my experience a big deal, but DID consider the large amount of time to my degree to be weird. Most new grads are in your position.

I got into a few conversations where they were lamenting that people come in with doctorates, 10+ years of school in most cases, but have no substantial work experience in the area they want. One woman told me about how she waited until she had her MA before seeking work and said it was HARD, even after spending all that time as a research assistant. After getting experience, she said it was absolutely worth it because she was in a great position to get better-paying work. But she basically had to eat shiz for a couple of years to get there.

Idealist fairs are targeted for people who want to work in public service, nonprofits, etc, so that's the focus. Around this, I will say that Americorps, City Year, Public Allies ($$$ fellowship), and similar programs offer a great opportunity to get (PAID!) work experience and recommendations.

IMO, it's not that you're a grad, it's that you're a New Grad with no prior experience. I have no idea how old you are, but that could be a factor as well. Lots of people over 35 love to say how age doesn't matter in the hiring process, but when you are a young college grad and interviewing with someone older who may not even have gone to college, it seems like a wider gap.

JanusthePhoenix Wrote:I'm about to apply to University of Idaho Law School for fall 2011.

Definitely apply to at least 3 law schools. If you're low-income, sometimes grad schools will drop or reduce their application fees so that they have a more diverse group of applicants.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
A word of warning about test-out degrees. - by Griffin - 10-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked [FULL FIGHT] Men's Pillow Fight Championship: Most Peaceful Fight Ever (WARNING) LevelUP 0 2,155 03-09-2025, 02:54 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Can you have TOO many degrees? Captainrekt000 25 10,043 12-11-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: newdegree
Lightbulb Speed Reading Test. NOBODY Can Pass Level 10 LevelUP 0 1,557 04-10-2023, 12:27 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Do You Have ADHD? Here's A Test LevelUP 7 2,836 02-08-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  145 Degrees Alpha 6 3,095 01-07-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  PSA: Northwest "Heat Wave" Warning! bjcheung77 3 2,275 06-27-2021, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Problems posting test scores sparky134 0 1,363 05-25-2021, 07:46 PM
Last Post: sparky134
  Degrees of Happiness Alpha 0 1,573 03-30-2021, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  A Fun Way to Display Your Degrees natshar 7 3,720 04-18-2020, 01:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Physics GRE Subject Test Does Not Predict PhD Completion sanantone 10 4,957 02-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)