Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
If an employer questions your degree during an interview?
#33
addision Wrote:I actually was asked about my degree in a panel interview for a mid-level management position with a national company.

They questioned when I graduated and compared that to my previous employment and wanted to know how I completed my education in New Jersey while working in California. I explained how I had been enrolled in may schools over the past 20 years and I was never able to complete my education at one place because I moved around for work. That "TESC provided me the best opportunity to complete my degree and was an accredited state college".

As soon as I said that one of the managers said "so it was an online degree". That killed the interview right there. They really weren't interested after that.

The bias against online education isn't going anywhere soon.

Thanks for the info. I have been watching this issue for over ten years and this is the first post I've seen that revealed an anti-online bias. It's not that I didn't assume it existed--because I did--but I've never heard a first hand account like this.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Your answer was perfect. If you have a chance and can provide more detail, I think it would be helpful to put this in perspective for everyone. If you wouldn't mind telling us your approximate age, number of years working, a little more about where you were in the application process, etc.--just so it can be interpreted fairly in context.

The big three have graduated tens of thousands of people over the years--so you have to expect at least a story or two like this, right? I'm well into my forties and I had considered this specific issue and concluded that I would probably not date my degree, since it's the least important thing on my resume at this point and I would not want to invite the cross-country comparison (I'm in CA too).

In any event, keep pressing on and let us know how this all ended up if you get a chance. Thanks.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College


Messages In This Thread
If an employer questions your degree during an interview? - by barcotta - 04-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 7,478 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 6,345 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 11,137 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 7,418 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 6,299 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 10,886 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 5,102 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 11,618 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 4,318 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 3,007 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)