Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeschool 4th Grade Curriculum Questions...
So we're pulling our son out of public school after he finishes 3rd grade, and are putting our plans together to be off and running with a much happier and healthier academic environment for him. We already found a bunch of local groups to get him some daytime field trips and other outings with similar-aged peers, but have run into a minor snag with curriculum choices.

For arithmetic and history, we are using A Beka. I bought both after reading all the reviews I could find, and after receiving and digging through it, believe they are paced perfectly for his learning style (or at least his current learning style, which I imagine will change once we break him out of the traditional classroom setting). For science, we are using R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey and are very excited to get started; it is all hands on, direct application, which is how he learns best.

Language Arts... This is the issue. I bought the full LA curriculum from A Beka, but...it is not going to work. Not for him and his circumstances; we are working on getting him to a point where a system like that would not confuse him, but at least right now, he is not at a point where it would make any sense to him. We are going to return it and are hoping to find a secular (or less scripture-filled) LA curriculum. Does anyone have suggestions? We stumbled across Houghton Miflin who are just coming out with a 4th grade LA homeschool curriculum - they've done 5th through 8th previously - but this is the first release of 4th grade and will come out in April, so there are no reviews. Are there any that are tried and tested?

P.S. - We are hoping for an "out of the box" type of curriculum if possible. Maybe in a year or two when we have a better comfort level ourselves, we'll be better able to just grab random books and put something together ourselves, but to get started, we'd like something that walks us through it a bit more directly. (i.e., do this lesson here, give this test now, etc.) We'll still both be working full-time, so having it planned for us is a definite selling point until we know what we're doing.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012

Messages In This Thread
Homeschool 4th Grade Curriculum Questions... - by mrs.b - 03-23-2013, 01:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Company develops its own MBA curriculum and offers it to employees MNomadic 2 929 07-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Sophia - Calculating Grade harrypotter 1 961 04-08-2020, 04:51 PM
Last Post: lacussucceed
  Questions re: ethics and computer network retraining SweetSecret 2 1,034 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  FREE Udemy - PMP 2020 Practice tests - 6th Edition - 600 questions bjcheung77 2 1,197 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: doom
  FREE Udemy - PMP Practice tests 6th Edition - 500 questions+explanations bjcheung77 7 1,767 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Weird interview questions Sparklette 10 2,431 03-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  HomeSchool HighSchool Transcript Template bjcheung77 7 2,256 06-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  homeschool resources for middle schooler with dyslexia & memory problems rvm 17 3,984 04-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Last Post: originalamyj
  calling Homeschool families cookderosa 49 5,858 08-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Westerner
  homeschool teens and parents wanted! cookderosa 1 753 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Last Post: cookderosa