Posts: 2,419
Threads: 183
Likes Received: 1,850 in 1,002 posts
Likes Given: 3,448
Joined: Dec 2008
06-08-2026, 02:49 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2026, 07:36 AM by Jonathan Whatley.)
Eastern University is applying, per the MSCHE Accreditation Action of April 23, 2026, to convert its existing online PhD in Professional Practice program into a direct assessment (i.e., competency-based education) format.
Eastern’s PhD in Professional Practice is an interesting creature. It’s housed in the university’s Palmer Theological Seminary division. Students with a prior theology degree may be eligible for advanced standing (via Dustin on DegreeInfo). Eastern is affiliated with American Baptist Churches USA, and Eastern has been described as a relatively progressive-minded “maverick among evangelical colleges.”
At the same time, the PhD in Professional Practice is clearly intended to be relevant to professionals in a wide range of secular positions as well as religious-related ones. There do not appear to be religious tests in admission, unless there’s something in the online application form (account creation required). This degree is not specifically included within Palmer Theological Seminary’s specialized accreditation from the Association of Theological Schools.
Applicants are currently expected to have “10 years as a practitioner in a professional practice, such as minister, lawyer, nurse, etc.”
Posts: 998
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 585 in 368 posts
Likes Given: 800
Joined: Sep 2019
Really interesting program! I'm surprised I haven't seen this discussed on the board before. The program itself definitely has a theological bent, but it's possible that would be inclusive for people of other religions. The American Baptist Convention is very diverse and a classical American Baptist belief is freedom of conscience, meaning that there is a tolerance of a variety of views. (Some call ABC liberal, but that's not really accurate; ABC congregations are fairly independent and can decide for themselves how socially or theologically liberal they want to be, and I've known ABC members and Eastern students across the spectrum, from very conservative to very liberal/progressive.)
-------
Current
University of the People—B.S. Health Science
TESU—BA Biology & something else, AS Mathematics
Completed
MBA, UMass Global
MS Psychology, Walden University
BA in Linguistics, traditional route
Online traditional credits (undergrad & U.S. unless otherwise stated)
Eastern Gateway Community College (28); ASU (10); New Mexico Junior College (8); Strayer (3); Purdue University Global (3); TESU (6); XAMK Finland (57 ECTS + 10 grad ECTS), University of the People (3 grad), Lamar (3 grad)
Alternative credits
Sophia (81), Study.com (27), Saylor (6 credits), Onlinedegree.com (12), CLEP (6)
Posts: 212
Threads: 27
Likes Received: 85 in 39 posts
Likes Given: 6
Joined: Feb 2020
Well they still have not roll out their Data Science PhD that I been patiently waiting for so it is kinda wild they are already announcing another PhD. Though I guess I could just be impatient ha.
•
Posts: 998
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 585 in 368 posts
Likes Given: 800
Joined: Sep 2019
06-09-2026, 10:10 AM
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2026, 10:11 AM by wow.)
(06-09-2026, 07:36 AM)Max13 Wrote: Well they still have not roll out their Data Science PhD that I been patiently waiting for so it is kinda wild they are already announcing another PhD. Though I guess I could just be impatient ha.
The professional practice PhD has already been around for a while. The announcement is that they're planning to make it CBE.
-------
Current
University of the People—B.S. Health Science
TESU—BA Biology & something else, AS Mathematics
Completed
MBA, UMass Global
MS Psychology, Walden University
BA in Linguistics, traditional route
Online traditional credits (undergrad & U.S. unless otherwise stated)
Eastern Gateway Community College (28); ASU (10); New Mexico Junior College (8); Strayer (3); Purdue University Global (3); TESU (6); XAMK Finland (57 ECTS + 10 grad ECTS), University of the People (3 grad), Lamar (3 grad)
Alternative credits
Sophia (81), Study.com (27), Saylor (6 credits), Onlinedegree.com (12), CLEP (6)
•
Posts: 11,160
Threads: 660
Likes Received: 2,123 in 1,289 posts
Likes Given: 500
Joined: Apr 2011
This appears to effectively be a dissertation-only program.
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Posts: 888
Threads: 5
Likes Received: 440 in 289 posts
Likes Given: 279
Joined: Feb 2012
(06-09-2026, 12:02 PM)sanantone Wrote: This appears to effectively be a dissertation-only program. Yeah, maybe we're finally catching up with a ton of other countries. Nice.
•
Posts: 35
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 3 in 3 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Oct 2025
Would Alvernia ABD be a better option than this? They said they will only accept 9 credits and I guess it will take 4 years minimum.
•
|