Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Bachelors = BLS & BA OR BABA - possible?
(03-12-2021, 01:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 12:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: I was replying to AsianPHD, who posted a master's degree link.
Miscommunication.

Think I'm going to just go on read only here and stop posting.

It helps if you reply to the person and include their post so we know what specifically you're responding to. There were some comments between your post and theirs. Go check out the grad section. There's a whole area about grad schools. It's easy to spend hours on there checking things out. 

My post asking the accreditation question was right after he posted the link. There were no comments between mine and his.
Thank you, I'll go to the grad section.
Upcoming Degrees:
Master of Arts in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - Georgia Southern University - April 2025
Up Next (Decision MADE!)
Ph.D in Criminal Justice (Intelligence) - UNG
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

(03-12-2021, 12:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: Think I'm going to just go on read only here and stop posting.

I feel you. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience, imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • TINASAM
since there is a thread about both degrees here I will ask here, so my wife is planning on transferring to UMPI:
what's the difference between a BLS degree in Management and a Bachelors of Arts in Business Administration?

Why would you pick one after the other one?

Thanks,
Liberal Studies is not going to be as targeted as a business degree. The business degree will cover more business topics.

It depends heavily on exactly what your wife wants to do with her degree but the BLS is probably better for entrepreneurs or people who intend to immediately get either the UMPI Master's or an MBA from somewhere else. A BABA is for someone who needs/wants to work for a few years before continuing on to their Master's at UMPI or elsewhere.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-18-2021, 03:47 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Liberal Studies is not going to be as targeted as a business degree. The business degree will cover more business topics.

It depends heavily on exactly what your wife wants to do with her degree but the BLS is probably better for entrepreneurs or people who intend to immediately get either the UMPI Master's or an MBA from somewhere else. A BABA is for someone who needs/wants to work for a few years before continuing on to their Master's at UMPI or elsewhere.

Thank you, My wife is currently working for one of the major financial service corporations, that facilitate processing payments.
So not quite sure if a Business Degree is better for her, she just wants to finish this year so she can get a promotion. she currently has like 92 credits+. All from a University that she's currently attending.

Does anyone know if she can apply and get a degree audit for both?
I think she can ask for a degree audit for both. Personally, I would tend to lean toward the business degree because that's more likely to be viewed as more professional in the business world. But if she intends to go for a Master's degree somewhere, the Master's will be the one that actually matters.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
I had the choice of the BA in Business Administration or the BLS with a minor. I picked the BLS because I could complete it faster and with fewer courses. I already have an AAS in Business Administration. I ended up completing 3 minors in my BLS - Management Information Systems, Project Management, and Management. There's 2 other minors available as well - Accounting and Education. The BA in Business Administration has a concentration. There's a few options for the concentration as well.
Thank you for your response, shes getting evaluations from both, she has a lot of business courses under her belt.
(03-12-2021, 12:18 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 09:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Someone private messaged me on the other board and asked about UMPI, double degree option.  If I recall correctly, similar to some schools, UMPI doesn't award a BLS as a second degree if you already have a general studies or liberal arts degree, you'll have to go for a BA or BABA with a concentration or major.  But they will allow the BLS as the first degree and you can get a BA or BABA with a concentration later.

Does anyone know if UMPI allow two degrees? If so, which degree goes first? I assume it's the BLS then you can do the BA or BABA, but no the other way around... such as a BA/BABA first and then a BLS, I wonder if the concentration is different, if they allow that... well, maybe it's best to get them to shoot off an email to UMPI.

You are all kinds of jumbled up. UMPI allows second degrees in certain situations. If you've come from another school, it's bit different. If you'e degrees are completed at UMPI, you cannot go for a second degree if you have competed their BLS because it's a terminal degree. You also need to go for completely different degrees. Like you can complete the BA in Business Administration/Project Management and then complete a BA in English. You cannot complete another BA in Business Administration in another concentration. I was also told that I could not complete the BUS in Business Administration (no matter the concentration) then go for the BLS because there's too much overlap with the concentrations and minors. 

You should tell your friend to join the forum and ask the questions here. Much easier than relaying the info. 

I know this is an older thread but I am struggling to find an answer to my question and figured this may be the best place.

From what I am understanding, if you were to get a Liberal Arts Degree from UMPI it would be "terminal". Does that apply to the BSLA from Excelsior? If I get the BSLA from Excelsior, could I go on to get the BABA from UMPI later on (several years) if I decided I wanted or specifically needed a Business degree, or am I forever stuck with just the BSLA?
(10-16-2022, 02:11 AM)NBM123 Wrote: I know this is an older thread but I am struggling to find an answer to my question and figured this may be the best place.

From what I am understanding, if you were to get a Liberal Arts Degree from UMPI it would be "terminal". Does that apply to the BSLA from Excelsior? If I get the BSLA from Excelsior, could I go on to get the BABA from UMPI later on (several years) if I decided I wanted or specifically needed a Business degree, or am I forever stuck with just the BSLA?

The "terminal" degree restriction at UMPI no longer applies. You can get a BLS at UMPI and then return later to get a Business degree. But, if you know that you want a Business degree now, I would probably just go for that one. The BLS and Business degrees should be about the same in terms of ease/cost/time/etc., so I think it makes sense to skip the BLS.

But, if you're not completely sure about the business degree, getting the BLS from UMPI isn't "final", not any more.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick UMPI BABA to BAS switch denied anthonyk02 12 753 02-24-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  BABA v BLS Project Management - All Sophia Jbpooles1024 5 777 02-04-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BABA PM&IS Degree Plan Help (Advice) 4KJB 1 479 01-18-2024, 08:10 PM
  UMPI BABA Inquiry jeremyeugenejames 5 580 12-20-2023, 10:41 PM
  Need Help With BABA Marketing Class selection rrrr 5 439 12-17-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Second bachelors pacing and options Junco 4 492 12-16-2023, 10:03 PM
  BABA MAT 140 Requirement and Learning Objective 3A, 3B - Covered by Sophia Calculus? FM1 13 1,067 12-14-2023, 04:56 PM
Last Post: ishady
  UMPI BABA Degree Plan, did I miss anything? tlassit018 10 857 10-25-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: tlassit018
  BABA in Management and Leadership course difficulty ranking BigJohn1975 12 1,368 10-04-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  UMPI BABA LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT PROGRAM. Gijaodola 20 1,531 09-17-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: CCCollege