Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 COVID Vaccines Approved, End to Pandemic in Sight??
(11-16-2020, 11:33 PM)Seagull Wrote: At a certain point they have to stop the big scare and have to call the disease endemic

The big scare will stop when they get FULL compliance. So it will never end.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • Thorne
(11-16-2020, 11:33 PM)Seagull Wrote: At a certain point they have to stop the big scare and have to call the disease endemic as so many cases are not equal number of deaths, so it becomes the same as regular flu, which, by the way, still causes lots of deaths each year but since it cannot be exploited politically and economically with fear, unlike covid 19, no one is worried about it and no one goes crazy stocking up on toilet paper just because the regular flu is in season.

The problem is, this is far worse than the flu. People have been dealing with the various human influenza viruses that come around each year for hundreds (thousands?) of years. Our bodies are mostly able to deal with it on our own. Yes, in severe cases some people do die from the flu as well, but typically these people were already immunocompromised in some way to begin with. That said, far fewer people who catch the flu die from it, and most of those who recover from the flu generally don't have to worry about lasting complications beyond Pneumonia, inflammation, and secondary infections. Those can be treated and will go away quickly, and major complications are pretty rare.

Our bodies are not used to defending against Covid, so our ability to properly defend against it is less guaranteed. A lot more people will develop severe cases than would those with influenza. In addition to influenza's complications, people who recover from even mild to moderate cases of Covid can still end up with lasting issues that might not be noticed for a while. Things like cardiac, respiratory, or kidney damage; nervous system damage, inflammation of the brain and heart, blood clots, etc.

The wife of one of my friends is a nurse who caught Covid a couple of months ago. She had a moderate case and recovered, but is still dealing with diminished respiratory capacity. One of my former coworkers got Covid back in late spring or early summer and thought it was no big deal... basically no worse than the flu. He recovered without any issues, but then ended up having a stroke due to a blood clot a few weeks later.

So, I'm taking this whole thing a bit more seriously since I've seen what it can do. I'm in a higher risk bracket to start with, so I'm not taking any chances. Especially considering I have a 5-year-old depending on me.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon, rachel83az
I was in Italy for a few weeks last Christmas time, all over some of the worst-hit regions. I'm pretty sure I caught COVID back then - just as I was leaving Italy. But back then they wouldn't test you for it because first they didn't know about it and then they said it only spread through close contact with known infected people. Yeah, right.

Anyway, I was super lucky. I recovered after ~90 days with no medical intervention (though I was a bit worried on a couple days). But I'm still dealing with lingering after-effects after almost a year. My joints hurt, my body feels like it's aged several decades, schoolwork is much harder than it should be. I've had the flu before. This is not the flu. I wish it were the flu. If it were the regular flu, I wouldn't be hiding inside.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 4 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • CatsDomino, graduatesoon, Merlin, Muldoon
The rush to get the vaccine created concerns me, so I will continue to wear a mask and social distance. Of course, I've always been good about washing my hands. You know what's funny? Early in the spread two folks mentioned to me that the water at work is too cold to put their hands under for 20 seconds. Didn't anyone watch doctor shows growing up?

It's get wet, get out of the water, suds up and scrub, scrub, scrub, and rinse. One person - with multiple degrees, mind you! - said the water wasn't hot enough to kill germs. I told him he'd be in a hospital burn unit if the water was hot enough to kill germs, and had to teach a 40-year old man how to wash his hands! (Then explained about the covering of the virus's fatty nature and how soap was not its friend.)

As for the holidays, my family and I can do it virtually. Too many family members died before COVID 19, so we'll do what's necessary to avoid any more visits to hospitals or cemeteries.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LongRoad's post:
  • rachel83az
I think the "scam" part is not that Covid doesn't exist, but it's about the lockdowns being the answer. This is decimating our economy, and many kids I know (teens, early 20's) are experiencing VERY difficult mental issues at this point. Some are TERRIFIED for no reason (only 2 people under the age of 18 have died in CA, it's that rare). But in most cases, the isolation is literally killing kids. Suicides are up. This whole thing is just nuts.

There is something going on here that just doesn't add up. 2 vaccines that come out just days AFTER the election seems fishy to me. And though we've had other novel viruses for many years, all of a sudden they're not only ready, but 90%+ effective? We've had vaccines out for many years that aren't 90% effective (the Flu vaccines are only 40% to 60% effective, and even less so for the elderly).

I'm just not buying it. I don't think we've been given all of the facts, I don't trust the government to tell me the truth about much at this point, and I don't trust the media or the internet to give me straight facts either - it's just difficult to figure anything out. It sucks. And I'm sure people who are WAY more conspiracy theory that me are even worse.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • acamp, StoicJ, Thorne
(11-16-2020, 11:39 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Pfizer and Moderna both saying vaccines 90%+ effective, looks like the first doses to be given in December 2020.

Likely health workers and maybe first responders first in line to get the vaccine.  Then maybe we should just start at age 100+ yr old and work our way down the age bracket till we get to 18yr old.  I heard they still need to test in children so they won't get vaccine till summer.  Most everyone should get a vaccine by around March/April.

330 million population - 75 million (18yr & younger) = 255m population USA.  Maybe around 100- 125m will take vaccine.

At the same time, this virus looks like it's getting out of control again here in the U.S. and Europe.

This latest outbreak of COVID changing anyone's Thanksgiving plans?

Do you plan on taking the vaccine?

Please check out the Truth about Vaccines on Brighteon.
(11-17-2020, 05:39 PM)BrendaB Wrote: Please check out the Truth about Vaccines on Brighteon.

Do some research on Brighteon. It's very controversial.
(11-17-2020, 05:39 PM)BrendaB Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 11:39 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Pfizer and Moderna both saying vaccines 90%+ effective, looks like the first doses to be given in December 2020.

Likely health workers and maybe first responders first in line to get the vaccine.  Then maybe we should just start at age 100+ yr old and work our way down the age bracket till we get to 18yr old.  I heard they still need to test in children so they won't get vaccine till summer.  Most everyone should get a vaccine by around March/April.

330 million population - 75 million (18yr & younger) = 255m population USA.  Maybe around 100- 125m will take vaccine.

At the same time, this virus looks like it's getting out of control again here in the U.S. and Europe.

I agree Brighteon has some strange stuff, it is just a way to watch it.  You use to be able to watch 1 episode on youtube.

(11-17-2020, 10:35 PM)BrendaB Wrote:

I agree Brighteon has some strange stuff, it is just a way to watch it.  You use to be able to watch The Truth about Vaccines by Ty Bollinger on youtube.  The Truth about Vaccines host is Ty Bollinger who interviews vaccine researchers and physicians who give the facts.  I believe there are 7 main episodes. 

I agree Brighteon has some strange stuff, it is just a way to watch it.  You use to be able to watch 1 episode on youtube.

I agree Brighteon has some strange stuff, it is just a way to watch it.  You use to be able to watch The Truth about Vaccines by Ty Bollinger on youtube.  The Truth about Vaccines host is Ty Bollinger who interviews vaccine researchers and physicians who give the facts.  I believe there are 7 main episodes. 
There is lots of published research (nih, oxford, etc) from lots of researchers in the field of medicine about SARS and coronavirus since 2005, in which they also discuss possible mRNA vaccines and how the disease transmits.

The mRNA vaccine is on right track as it takes less time to manufacture as it uses the pre-existing e mechanisms themselves to replicate and rewrite the information.

If you read about SARS , Forthe last 15 years they know it is not an upper respiratory disease, it attacks the ACE2 receptors and it is through the brain, as it is the least protected area of the body.
(11-17-2020, 05:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think the "scam" part is not that Covid doesn't exist, but it's about the lockdowns being the answer.  This is decimating our economy, and many kids I know (teens, early 20's) are experiencing VERY difficult mental issues at this point.  Some are TERRIFIED for no reason (only 2 people under the age of 18 have died in CA, it's that rare).  But in most cases, the isolation is literally killing kids.  Suicides are up.  This whole thing is just nuts.

Many experts have provided roadmaps that show that we could deal with Covid without lockdowns with proper preparation. Like more circulation and better filtration systems inside buildings, less time spent inside, and 100% mask use and physical distancing in public. Along with mandatory testing and tracing, of course. The problem is that not all companies are willing to invest the money necessary to upgrade their HVAC systems and a ton of people don't want to deal with masks and physical distancing. Our government also hasn't put any kind of plan in place to help mitigate and reduce the problem via increased testing and contact tracing. However, if we had implemented all these things, we wouldn't need to be in lockdown and our economy wouldn't be in so much trouble.

We probably wouldn't have as many Covid-related suicides as well. Since so many people wouldn't be dealing with diminished stress surge capacity and/or Covid depression.

(11-17-2020, 05:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote: There is something going on here that just doesn't add up. [...]

I'm just not buying it.  I don't think we've been given all of the facts [...]

I also agree that we don't have all the facts, but if you compare what we do know from different places around the world, this is clearly not limited to the US. There are companies all over the world working on this. I have to assume they are all working as quickly as possible to figure out the best way to deal with this virus and get a vaccine out. Some processes will naturally faster or slower. But, if certain people or companies were stalling or holding onto information waiting for the US election to be done, some other company would have beat them to a solution since it is extremely unlikely that all these companies are conspiring together. That seems obvious to me anyway.

Personally, I don't believe the claims of 90% and 95% efficacy are legit unless the virus is far more fragile and easier to manage than we've been led to believe. My belief is that those statistics may be accurate in the small samples, but these trials are too small to have meaningful statistical value when compared against the population of the world. We know they are cutting some corners to get this out the door quickly to help save lives, so there are bound to be variables that haven't been considered, or ethnicities and medical histories that have were not represented in the sample set used for their trials. When these drugs finally get EU authorization, the first round will effectively be a real stage 3 trial, just a more uncontrolled one. That is when we're going to see the real-world effectiveness of these vaccines and how safe they really are.

I hope I'm wrong and these vaccines are amazing and do exactly what they say. But until I see this for myself, I remain skeptical. I also want to see what comes of the other 10 major vaccines in development. There are several different approaches, so it may be that others are as (or more) effective and may be more durable as well.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon ‘censored’ COVID-19 vaccine books after ‘feeling pressure’ from Biden White Ho Charles Fout 1 383 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,065 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf
  The Pandemic Effect on Food Deserts Kal Di 6 754 04-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  You Versus Pandemic Inflation (What to Consider) Kal Di 14 1,429 03-16-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Xyxyfendz
  The Pandemic Effect Is... Kal Di 1 670 02-10-2022, 12:58 AM
Last Post: WilliamC340
  Covid Update Alpha 24 2,296 02-02-2022, 11:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Should You Be Required to Show a COVID Vaccination Card In Order to Vote? LevelUP 44 4,151 08-29-2021, 04:14 AM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Pandemic-To-Permanent bjcheung77 9 1,193 05-18-2021, 09:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Commencements During COVID natshar 6 1,161 04-02-2021, 06:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Anyone Else Getting Sick of This COVID Crap? LevelUP 33 3,384 07-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Last Post: StoicJ