Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$3000 Accreditted Masters (MS/MBA) from Aspen
Stumbled across this and thought I would pass it along to those interested in a inexpensive Masters Degree...

Tuition Offer

...and for those adult learners that may be interested in skipping the undergrad and going straight to MBA.

Online Graduate, Undergraduate, and Certificate Programs - Aspen University

I'm not a Aspen shill - just passing along info.

Downside with Aspen is it's DETC (not RA).

Greg
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Thanks for the post and the Aspen info!!

I know that the whole RA -vs- NA discussion is all the rage (:madSmile on some of the other "snooty-opinionated" (:eekSmilediscussion groups, but to me, and for me, if either RA or NA work for a student (me included having both) then that's all the difference that makes a difference. Cool [/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
What is RA, NA, and the other 4 letter one mean? I have an idea as far as a type of accreditation.

I have no clue about the true definition?
ryancp76 Wrote:What is RA, NA, and the other 4 letter one mean? I have an idea as far as a type of accreditation.

I have no clue about the true definition?

[SIZE="2"]Regionally Accredited, Nationally Accredited, Distance Education Training Commission.[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
Quote:Regionally Accredited, Nationally Accredited, Distance Education Training Commission.

So, I take it the debate is usually which is better?

Not necessarily on this thread, but overall.
ryancp76 Wrote:So, I take it the debate is usually which is better?

Not necessarily on this thread, but overall.

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]The "debate" over RA -vs- NA is both old and tired, something that dwells on despite the futility of the debate itself; it makes me sick. I mean that from the perspective that many RA advocates seem to look down their long noses at NA schools the way a snob would look down on a slob. RA is equated as the proverbial 14k gold standard while NA as the 10k gold standard.

The bottom line for many is that both RA & NA schools are BOTH recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. If you want a Whopper go to Burger King and if you want a Big Mac go to McDonald's. Either way, all of the ingredients all come from the same place it's just a matter of preference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA

This article brought some clarity for me.

The Six Regional Accreditation Boards

Each of the 6 geographic regions of the United States has a non-governmental, regional agency that oversees and accredits degree-granting institutions headquartered in their territories.

The six regional accreditation boards are: MSA--Middle States Association; NASC--Northwest Association of Schools & Colleges; NCA--North Central Association of Colleges & Schools; NEASC--New England Association of Schools & Colleges; SACS--Southern Association of Colleges & Schools; WASC--Western Association of Schools & Colleges.

There is no better or worse agency among these 6 agencies. Regionally accredited colleges recognize degrees and credits earned at other regionally accredited institutions as equal to their own.

For example, if you earn an undergraduate or bachelor’s degree at one regionally accredited college, such as the University of Maryland, it will be recognized as a valid degree for entering a graduate program later at the University of Illinois or any other regionally accredited university.
Advantages of Attending a Regionally Accredited College

A major benefit of attending a regionally accredited college is that credits or degrees earned at one regionally accredited institution are generally fully accepted in transfer by other regionally accredited colleges. Credits and degrees earned at non-regionally accredited universities are not commonly accepted in transfer by regionally accredited institutions.
Other Types of Widely Recognized Institutional Accreditation

The Distance Education & Training Council (DETC) is a nationally recognized accreditation agency for colleges and schools that specialize in distance learning. The DETC, founded more than 75 years ago, accredits more than 70 home study institutions. The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges & Schools (ACICS) is another widely recognized institutional accrediting agency.

What Is Programmatic Accreditation: Do I Need It?

Academic departments within universities often seek specialized accreditation for individual degree programs. Careers regulated by state licensing may require degrees that carry special programmatic accreditation.

Teacher licensing boards may require degrees earned from colleges whose education schools are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). State bar or lawyer licensing regulatory boards often require law degrees from schools accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA). If you hope to become licensed engineer you may have to attend an engineering degree program that is accredited by the Accrediting Board for Engineering Technology (ABET).

Three different agencies in the United States specialize in accrediting business schools. Among these agencies, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools Business International (AACSB) is considered, by academics themselves, the most prestigious type of business school accreditation. If you intend to pursue a career in teaching or research in a university environment then an AACSB-accredited business degree may be a wise investment.

Here is the link: Home--GetEducated.com, Online Degree Rankings and Directory and Online MBA Rankings

I've always wanted to go beyond getting my undergrad degree to getting an MBA. With this article, I now know that getting one from an AACSB-accredited school may be right for me, given the opportunities. I'll do it if meant more opportunities, earning-power, ect., but the verdict is still out.

The bottom line is that you have to decide what's right for you, then align your decision with your short-term and long-term goals.

Anne
acs1122 Wrote:The bottom line is that you have to decide what's right for you, then align your decision with your short-term and long-term goals.

Anne

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Big Grin YES!! Big Grin

I'll have a Whopper and a Big Mac Please!! Rolleyes [/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA

I read on the DETC site that if you decided to go to a DETC accredited school, some schools will fight "the good fight" for you to get your credits accepted into the new school --RA's included. The dean will write letters, make calls on your behalf, whatever it takes to get your credits transferred.

However, when I spoke to an admissions advisor at Aspen yesterday, specifically about the need to transfer credits later on, she was less than willing to admit that they may not do that. So, if you want to transfer credits, say for your doctorate or even for another master's degree, well, you're on your own.

I don't know... I like to keep all doors wide open. I like the tuition, the tuition is very reasonable by far, but the uphill battle that will come later may not be worth it for me in the long run.

Anne
I agree with Brian regarding the slippery slope of elitism among college degrees...and for the record, it never ends.

NA vs. RA
RA vs. AACSP
Tier 1 vs. Tier 2/3/4
Ivy League vs. wanna-bes like Colby/Bates/etc.

...and so on and so forth.

For what it's worth, I think it's just a checkbox with Bonus points awarded for Ivy League. Since 90% of the schools are 'unknowns' - the least expensive option may be the 'best' (e.g. given 2 unknown schools - select the least expensive).

At the risk of oversimplifying, if you just want a terminal Masters, consider Aspen (perhaps for a raise at work). If you're looking for prestige, I would recommend something like Harvards-ALM for $20k (or perhaps Columbia). As for the options in between, you'll find few options less expensive than Aspen (in the US) or more prestigious than Harvard or Columbia (IMO).

Just my 2 cents...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US Masters CBE While Traveling Abroad[Long Post] yb1 7 2,700 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  PhD versus 2nd Masters burbuja0512 17 2,242 08-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Last Post: sklineho
  University of Florida Masters in Forensic Science publius2k4 3 1,193 02-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Last Post: hkhart
  Is a masters degree really worth it? publius2k4 7 1,304 02-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Online Masters with no proctored examinations? Ace_King 15 5,043 04-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Yanji
  I'm a 3000-Man! ShotoJuku 21 2,580 06-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Columbia Southern University - Masters Programs mrs.b 4 1,022 12-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Decided on masters, Western Governers MS Information Security Assurance ryoder 11 2,046 10-14-2011, 08:34 PM
  Nichols college at your own pace masters ryoder 4 1,492 03-16-2011, 07:22 PM
  Masters theis how hard? skybirds 7 1,456 02-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Last Post: irnbru