Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little help understanding TESC
TESC accepted mine with no essay.
well i passed my first DSST, Tech writing, with a 63. thanks to you all who have helped me get this underway.

how would i be able to tell if i need to take the general chem with or without lab? my eval says 3 credit hours of general chemistry. would a lab be on a separate line?
Chemistry with lab is usually going to be 4 semester credits, and of not then five- it should only be three if it's without a lab. At any rate, unless you are specifically told you need a lab, it's just the number of credits you need.
Yenisei Wrote:Chemistry with lab is usually going to be 4 semester credits, and of not then five- it should only be three if it's without a lab. At any rate, unless you are specifically told you need a lab, it's just the number of credits you need.

Just a side note - if you decide to go for the "with lab" to earn the 4 credits, those additional credits can carry into elective categories to avoid another course (three or more courses with lab is a class you do not have to take). I transferred in five courses with labs, two of which met the Pre-calculus and General Chemistry requirements, and the two additional credits from those courses are marked as an !!Exception under my General Ed Elects, reducing the total needed from 21 to 19. The other three courses make up 12 of those Gen Ed Eles, so I only needed 7 credits to finish that section out.

Edit - Below is the relevant snippet from my evaluation:

F: Precalculus (Completed)
> Take 3 semester hours of Quantitative Business Analysis or
> Precalculus. Students who have completed College Algebra
> should take MAT-129 to avoid duplication of credit.
Src Course # Title S.H. Grd TESC # Notes
2.. MAT111 Calculus I............... 4.00 B MAT-231 *TE

G: Statistics (Pending)
> Complete 3 semester hours in introductory statistics.
1.. STA-201... Principles of Statistics. (3.00) ___ *IP

H: Natural Sci/Math (Completed)
> Complete 3 semester hours from Natural Sciences Department;
> except the mathematics department.
2.. CHE105 General Chemistry........ 4.00 B CHE-121 *TE

I: General Educ Elects (Pending)

> Complete 21 semester hours in humanities, social sciences
> and natural sciences/mathematics (any combination).
!! Exception
Excess credit in Precalculus (1 SH), Nat Sci/Math (1 SH) ---
19 SH needed in General Education Electives

Semester Hours Completed: 21.00
2.. COM104 Fund of Relational Commun 3.00 B COM-108 *TE
2.. SPA101 Fundamentals of Spanish I 3.00 C SPA-101 *TE
2.. BIO193 Biology I Zoology........ 4.00 B BIO-113 *TE
2.. CHE106 General Chemistry........ 4.00 C+ CHE-122 *TE
2.. BIO194 Biology II Botany........ 4.00 C BIO-114 *TE
1.. PHI-384 Ethics & Business Profess (3.00) --- PHI-384 *PL *TE
Lindagerr Wrote:, but they can be faster.

Computer Programming is tough, I would call the Advising hotline and ask for a clarification on that.

sorry to ressurrect this from the dead, but would TESC advise me even tho i have not paid the 2800 tuition yet? ive passed a few courses outside the school and am getting close to the point where i have only a few left.
primer Wrote:sorry to ressurrect this from the dead, but would TESC advise me even tho i have not paid the 2800 tuition yet? ive passed a few courses outside the school and am getting close to the point where i have only a few left.

I am not enrolled in TESC, but I don't believe they will advise on courses until the approximately $2800 enrollment fee is paid.

Here are my suggestions on possible ways to fulfill the Computer Programming requirement:

1) ACE approved course through Penn Foster, which is self-paced.
2) A course through a local community college, which is probably the least expensive option.
3) Enrolling in a course after paying the TESC enrollment fee, through one of their recommended options.
Thanks for the reply.

CSC246 - Visual C#

Building C# applications; input devices and using timers; dialog boxes and menus; adding graphics and ActiveX controls to applications; documents interfacing; toolbars, status bars, and working with files; ADO applications, classes, modules, DLLs, and multitasking; ActiveX controls and Internet applications.

sound good eh? wish i had input from someone who could 100% confirm this is what tesc wants. lol
They might transcribe it as COS-101, since this class incorporates Visual Basic:
COS-101-OL

My son took CSC 153 C# programming at the community college and planned it in with his TESC adviser as COS-199.
Visual c# is c# so my bet is cos 199 .
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
i didnt see a COS 199 on the tesc site ( did see 116 which is c++ ). Basically im trying to find the easiest way to fill this one 3 credit spot, because ive taken a programming course before and completely hated it.

from my degree req on the site:

Computer Programming Requirement or
Programmable Logic Controller

wish i could find a plc course

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,648 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Am I understanding this correctly about Shmoop and TESU? Sparrowhawk 39 7,340 05-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Recommendations for TESU's "Understanding the Physical and Natural World"? leland.kirk 7 1,876 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Last Post: davewill
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,454 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,199 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,992 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,351 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need help understanding TESU application process EGnEC 14 2,731 11-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,771 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,751 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone