Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A shining example of what happens when you take a B&M English Class....
at a big name school like UCLA.

Bitchtastic UCLA Student Schools Asians On "American Library Manners" | The Frisky

This girl obviously sat through English classes at UCLA, and can't express her opinions in a more coherent way?

I am part asian and I could be offended - 1. She groups all Asians together.
2. She assumes every asian looking person is from asia
3. Doesn't realize that many of us were born here.
4. Doesn't realize that even if I do look like I speak ching chong ting tong, that my own father is an American blond(which he was before turning grey!)
5. That my bad manners aren't actually from my asian mother, most likely from my white relatives.

What I am most offended about is her incorrect use of English grammar! How could she have such a topnotch education and complain like an airhead? How in the world did she get into UCLA and use sentences that sound like... "I'm deep studying in the library and getting epiphanies and all that stuff,like for real!"

There is alot of controversy surrounding this young girl's youtube video. Should she be expelled? No. Her being a social pariah is punishment enough.

She does have free speech and although I am offended she has a right to say it.

But along with free speech comes consequences of that free speech. I foresee no poli sci jobs in her future, possibly a waitress at Hooters though.

She has every right to say what she feels. A potential employer also has every right to google her and withdraw an offer of employment.

Go ahead and be racist but have good grammar to back you up.

Also,if any one says testing out of English at the big 3 doesn't prepare you for communicating after graduation, well, neither does a B & M one,especially after viewing the English language at use in this video!
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
B&M is not for me. I had to listen to all the professors liberal bs day in and day out complaining about the free market system. I'd rather just clep out of the liberal arts classes and stick with the pure math and science where they don't try to shove Marxism down your throat at 18 years of age.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:B&M is not for me. I had to listen to all the professors liberal bs day in and day out complaining about the free market system. I'd rather just clep out of the liberal arts classes and stick with the pure math and science where they don't try to shove Marxism down your throat at 18 years of age.
You can disagree with Marx, but still appreciate what his theories mean for social science research. His conflict theory and ideas about population were and are valuable insights that can greatly help one to shed light on the often mysterious human phenomena. Not to mention that he was ahead of his time on issues like women's rights. To study him isn't to have his ideals shoved down your throat, but to gain a meaningful paradigm to compare with others.

I have read several college textbooks that were embarassingly liberal, but am no worse for the wear. As long as you are competant enough to see how they intend to indocrinate you, you are in a very strong position to resist.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Quote:That my bad manners aren't actually from my asian mother, most likely from my white relatives.

I foresee no poli sci jobs in her future, possibly a waitress at Hooters though.

My my aren't we stereotyping now. White people have bad manners and Hooters girls will never amount to anything in life. Ever heard the term stepping stone?

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

For someone who says you are so opposed to racism, race certainly comes up frequently in your own stereotypes, april, for example, "white people who try to be exotic but dislike actually exotic people."Cool

Disclaimer: not trying to pick a fight or anything or say anything about you personally :leaving:
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
Racism is every where. I have been discriminated against because I am a white male. My car has been spit on for no reason other than I was in the wrong neighborhood with a nice car.
We should all just get along. Don't let a person's racism affect your own outlook on other cultures and colors.
Remember that we are all Americans and there are millions of people who would like to see harm done to us so we need to stick together.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
blu2blu Wrote:My my aren't we stereotyping now. White people have bad manners and Hooters girls will never amount to anything in life. Ever heard the term stepping stone?

Why wouldn't I get most of my bad manners from my white relatives? That's the family I've been raised in. I would love it if someone accused me of acting like my country relatives from the Appalachians! But no...I am "backwoods because I am asian."

The point I am trying to make is that if someone sees me acting a bit off....it will come down my race-I act this way because I'm asian.

But I don't. I was raised by my mostly white family. And what people actually see is a "white woman" in asian skin. But I never have anyone accuse me of "acting white" or "acting american."

When it's actually what I am inside.

And please...I am half white. Let's not forget that. Race is important to me because white people pointed it out to me DAILY. They reminded me that I WAS not like them, even though culturally I was. It's White people that made it an issue to me when all I wanted was for WHITE people to accept me because I was half white, all American and not some foreigner .

Every DAY growing up I was toldI was UGLY, ching chong chang, told to go back to my country. DAILY. One reason I couldn't wait to get the heck out of dodge and joined the Army.

Anyways, I'm through with this board. Instantcert has served me well in obtaining my degree. For that, I thank you!

I am sure instantcert will be a better place without the diversity and all this race talk.

As for hooters, she definately will be an asset.

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
PonyGirl93 Wrote:For someone who says you are so opposed to racism, race certainly comes up frequently in your own stereotypes, april, for example, "white people who try to be exotic but dislike actually exotic people."Cool

Disclaimer: not trying to pick a fight or anything or say anything about you personally :leaving:

If you were mixed race you might understand. THere's a hierarchy amongst mixed asians. And mixed people in general.

The whiter you look , the better. I have two sisters and I was the "ugly one"becuase I look too asian.

Many of the winners of the beauty pageants held over there don't look like the indigenous people.

Mexican soap operas don't resemble their people.

My ex husband is half black and there's a color issue in his family with people always complimenting his light skinned cousins and saying nothing to darker skinned ones.

Alot of black actresses are light skinned.

How many white people claim to be Native AMerican? Do they even know for sure without a DNA Test? Not everyone's great grandmother can be an Indian princess.

I doubt most white people would claim Native Ancestry during the trail of tears if they could have passed as Caucasian.

I wouldn't expect most people to understand.

When I have had white people,white girls especially ask what I am and I tell them I am half white/filipino....it usually ends with..."oh, so you're FIlipino." Like they never heard the white part. And then they proceed to tell me that they are part this , and that, and expect me to ooh and aah at how mixed they are when they just dismissed my whiteness.

It's not just black/white. There are so many shades of grey. White people really don't like people like me being mixed. OR maybe it's they can't understand it or process it.

It's almost like it's ok for them to be mixed, part German,irish, italian...etc.....but someone like me? I'm still Filipino, and only Filipino even if I am part German and Scottish .

It's that dismissive nature I have experienced from white people over my own European heritage. So when I talk about white people not liking mixed ethnic people like myself, it's about white people seeing someone like me and not letting me be mixed like you.

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
I am legitimately sorry that people have treated you badly over something as ridiculous as race. I think that non-pasties are much prettier, so if it weren't for the negative aspects of growing up non-pasty in America, I would much rather be something other than white Wink

And just to stick up for myself a little, I do actually basically have proof that I am legitimately part Native American Rolleyes My great-great grandmother was Native American. Her kids were so embarrassed that they were "half-breeds" that my great-grandmother hated to even have her picture taken and would not talk about it. We do have one picture though and she is obviously part NA, plus my dad and my grandmother obviously remember her... So don't hear me say "part Native American" and immediately say "oh so you're white" :p

ETA:
april004 Wrote:I doubt most white people would claim Native Ancestry during the trail of tears if they could have passed as Caucasian.
And this is a problem to you... how? Were the slaves who were 1/8 African Am but still forced to be slaves wrong for disguising themselves as white people to get north?
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
I had a different situation where the person told it to my face...I was applying for a summer job this past summer and I've been working there for the past 2 summers. The director of the camp was very pleased with the way I worked and that the campers liked me... However, when I was applying this past summer she told me she can't accept me back. When I asked why, she told me that there were fewer campers applying this year because the parents didn't want counselors that were slightly darker than white...I was enraged when I heard this because this was pure racism...and it got me more upset that she didn't mind telling it to me in my face. I do not consider myself dark skin (you can see my pic on my profile lol) ...I have a light brown color that makes me look slightly tanned...I felt what she did was completely wrong...I know I could have gone to court...but I didn't wanna make an issue out of it so I left and decided to start college right after high school instead of working...so I had no summer break.
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 744 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Class Ring pricing (rip off!) Vle045 11 2,040 01-27-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: freeloader
  Obituary for former Excelsior English adjunct Sparklette 0 646 07-12-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Student Loans Cancelled for an Entire Graduating Class Jonathan Whatley 9 2,310 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Black NYU Student Kept from Attending Class sanantone 24 3,150 02-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Class Rings? rowan555 15 4,125 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
  What is the hardest class you have ever taken? soliloquy 20 2,648 10-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Last Post: nleamons
  Professor fails everyone in class ajs1976 8 1,371 04-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Last Post: defscarlett
  Class Dismissed - the movie cookderosa 1 1,000 11-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Big 3 Class Rings CLEP101 10 4,060 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Last Post: rebel100