Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A word of warning about test-out degrees.
Janus, you've received some good advice in this thread.

My question is: how are you marketing yourself? You've got technical experience and customer service experience. Both of those fields tend to have skills that can transfer to other fields - if you write them right.

Also keep in mind that your cover letter is not just a formality or an introduction (although it serves that purpose, too.) A cover letter is also a writing sample and, even in jobs that don't require a lot of writing, a well-written letter will get second looks in ways that adequate or poorly-written letters won't. I never tossed resumes in the trash when I screened* for open positions, but I also didn't put the one-paragraph cover letter folks at the top of the further consideration stack.

(*I am no longer doing HR stuff - or in business at all, so my information is no more current than 2009.)
BS Literature in English cum laude, Excelsior College
currently pursuing K-8 MAT, University of Alaska Southeast (42/51).

IC works! Credits by exam to date: 63

CLEP: A&I Lit (72), Am Gov (69), Biology (58), Intro to Ed Psych (73), Intro Psych (77), Intro Soc (72), US History I (69)
DSST: Astronomy (65), Civil War (63), Intro Computing (463), Environment & Humanity (70), Foundations of Ed (68), USSR (54)
GRE: Literature in English (60th percentile / 18 cr)

On Deck: classroom research & instructional design
cinderly Wrote:Also keep in mind that your cover letter is not just a formality or an introduction.....

What cinderly said! Cover letters and interviews are, in my opinion, at least as important as what is on your resume. Competent and confident will take you a long way. You know what you know, don't be afraid to show it !
B.S. Comp Studies - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information Assurance - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information & Network Security - UMBC Training Centers (June/2010)
A.A. Information Technology - Programming (May/2010)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEH, CHFI, Sec+, Linux+, iNet+, Project+, SCJP, SCWCD, CIW

"A job not worth doing is not worth doing well, but a job worth doing is worth doing right the first time."
On an aside, earning a degree online and/or testing out of a degree is nothing to feel negative about. Firstly, pure brick and mortar schools are few with most being more click and mortar offering both online and in class education. Testing is a method of proving a level of understanding of the subject matter. Folks learn differently. Some may have the ability and self-discipline to study and test out for particular subjects while perhaps needing classroom instruction for other studies. Many need the classroom setting for every subject.

The only comment I've ever received during an interview regarding testing was that the interviewer lamented the fact that he was unable to successfully use testing. The gentleman claimed he attempted one CLEP during his freshman year and failed. We discussed the cost of his Ivy school degree compared to mine and he was clearly impressed with my ROI. ...and yes, I was offered the job...and over a Harvard applicant. I didn't accept the position but it felt damn good to get the offer.

As many have mentioned here, a degree is but one portion of the package. Experience is a critical factor but so are presentation, personality and a positive attitude.

Chin up!
[SIZE="4"]Terry[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][B][SIZE="2"]How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"]
AS and BS completed
MBA - In Progress[/SIZE]
I agree about cover letters, but only to a certain extent. I think that back when there were fewer candidates, employers really used them to find the best fit for a position, or even give someone with excellent writing skills (and LOTS of enthusiasm) a shot at a job.

Now, I think that recruiters and hiring managers either
1) don't read them
2) Use them to eliminate candidates.

There are just TOO many darn resumes out there to look at cover letters. Here is the process that has happened over the past year and half or so since the economy has been bad that I've gone through:

First of all, the recruiter does a ton of work to screen resumes. I honestly don't know how he does it or what he does other than looking for the criteria that I've specified. After a week or so, he'll send me literally 10-15 resumes. Sometimes he's also sent the cover letters, sometimes he hasn't. I don't have time in my day to look at 15 resumes much less read cover letters. So, I SCAN through all of the resumes and whatever pops off the page gets my attention, good or bad. I can usually narrow down to the top five that I will ask the recruiter to call and screen for an interview. I am looking for experience in the industry or something else that sets the candidate apart from the crowd.

If the recruiter and I disagree on a particular candidate, then I might go through their cover letter looking for some reason not to call them. Yes I have eliminated people due to typos. Seriously, even if you are the best speller in the world, ask a friend you trust to review your cover letter AND resume.

There was a situation where I had three very good, equally qualified people. They had all gone through several rounds of interviews and passed with flying colors. My boss and I carefully went through the resumes and letters with a fine toothed comb on each of them trying to find something that really set them apart, either to eliminate or to make them stand out above the rest.

I guess what I'm saying is that put a bunch of time into the cover letter, but IMHO don't make it too long. Make it short and readable - no long paragraphs. I would even put a couple of words in bold if they're really important, though I'm sure that someone might disagree with this. Do what you can to stand out because if you're lucky enough to have someone look at your cover letter, you've got about three seconds to make an impression.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````

P.S. As I was re-reading this, it sounds very pessimistic and discouraging to the inexperienced job-seeker. I have mentioned several times that a candidate needs to stand out or set themselves apart, but it doesn't have to be because you have the most experience. You may have to work a bit harder, but you can highlight other areas that show your character. I've said it before, but VOLUNTEER!! If you can't get a job in your industry, go and do it unpaid. PUT THAT ON YOUR RESUME. Even if you can't find an internship or volunteer opportunity to do, go to your local nursing home or Boys and Girls club. You don't have to tell your prospective employer that you only volunteer for four hours a month, it's just something extra you can add to show that you're working and caring about the community, even if you're not paid to do so.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
*double post*
Maniac Craniac Wrote:Thank you for sharing your experiences.

If there is anything to learn from your example, its to

1) Have realistic expectations.
2) Have a clear plan.
3) A degree is JUST a degree. More is needed.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that your degree is actually hurting you, as compared to not having one at all. You may be, for the reasons you mentioned, disadvantaged when compared to other students, but are you really worse off than someone who boasts no degree and an equal amount of experience?

I want to relay my experience in this. I am 25, have been working since 15 (so 10 years of formal work experience), have run a business, and have worked in web development, which frequently requires a BS CompSci degree.

On Monday, I went to an Idealist Grad Fair to look at master's programs before going onto my PhD in Clinical Psychology. Over and over again I heard from admissions reps what a good chance I stand getting into grad school because I have experience. I don't consider my experience a big deal, but DID consider the large amount of time to my degree to be weird. Most new grads are in your position.

I got into a few conversations where they were lamenting that people come in with doctorates, 10+ years of school in most cases, but have no substantial work experience in the area they want. One woman told me about how she waited until she had her MA before seeking work and said it was HARD, even after spending all that time as a research assistant. After getting experience, she said it was absolutely worth it because she was in a great position to get better-paying work. But she basically had to eat shiz for a couple of years to get there.

Idealist fairs are targeted for people who want to work in public service, nonprofits, etc, so that's the focus. Around this, I will say that Americorps, City Year, Public Allies ($$$ fellowship), and similar programs offer a great opportunity to get (PAID!) work experience and recommendations.

IMO, it's not that you're a grad, it's that you're a New Grad with no prior experience. I have no idea how old you are, but that could be a factor as well. Lots of people over 35 love to say how age doesn't matter in the hiring process, but when you are a young college grad and interviewing with someone older who may not even have gone to college, it seems like a wider gap.

JanusthePhoenix Wrote:I'm about to apply to University of Idaho Law School for fall 2011.

Definitely apply to at least 3 law schools. If you're low-income, sometimes grad schools will drop or reduce their application fees so that they have a more diverse group of applicants.
The job market is really tough right now and I doubt the fact you earned your degree through an unconventional manner is hurting you. Although you have your undergraduate degree, you may be competing with people who have graduate degrees, specialization, AND experience... all of which make them highly competitive candidates. Internship opportunities can be available to non-traditional student, but the students will have to market themselves put in some footwork, since they don't have the backing of department chairs to support their efforts.

Personally, I tested out of 80% of my undergraduate degree while working two jobs at 60 hours each week AND attending on-campus courses at full-time status (required for one of the jobs). I finished in about two years and earned a BS in Liberal Arts from Excelsior when I was 20 yo. When I applied for a government job, I was immediately hired and the fact that I tested out of courses only helped me. The interviewer asked how I earned a degree from New York, while working thousands of miles away AND working full-time. I just said I tested out because I was poor and wanted to finish school to finally get a decent job! The fact that I had full-time work experience in my field, with specialization, helped rather than hurt my chances. No one seemed concerned about the fact the degree was earn through unconventional methods.

Every situation is different, but I would never discount a degree earned through one of the "big three". There are many factors that contribute to any given situation.

Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Speed Reading Test. NOBODY Can Pass Level 10 LevelUP 0 485 04-10-2023, 12:27 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Do You Have ADHD? Here's A Test LevelUP 7 760 02-08-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  145 Degrees Alpha 6 1,054 01-07-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  PSA: Northwest "Heat Wave" Warning! bjcheung77 3 768 06-27-2021, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Problems posting test scores sparky134 0 536 05-25-2021, 07:46 PM
Last Post: sparky134
  Degrees of Happiness Alpha 0 700 03-30-2021, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  A Fun Way to Display Your Degrees natshar 7 1,390 04-18-2020, 01:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Physics GRE Subject Test Does Not Predict PhD Completion sanantone 10 2,119 02-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Walmart to Help Associates Get College Degrees MNomadic 57 8,347 11-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Last Post: natshar
  CEOs without degrees davewill 9 1,878 02-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512