Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS or SL for begining journey
I have not taken a math course in 40 years, and wasn't the best at it then. I am very new to this and have poured over the forums. Hope i am doing this right and posting in the right place! Which would you recommend i sign up for, looking to move as quickly as possible and biggest bag for my buck. I am going to work towards a BS in business with a concentration in Human Resources. Starting at ground zero. Have enrolled in Excelsior but have yet to take my first CLEP. Thanks in advance.
I have no experience with SL math courses, but ALEKS was designed as a teaching tool for math students. So with 40 years of rust on your math skills I would say ALEKS is a good place to start. Definitely the best bang for your buck at $20/month, if you work quickly you can earn 6-9 credits in a month. (IDK which courses EC accepts)
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
I took College Algebra through both ALEKS and SL.

ALEKS is based on assessments. There are about 20-30 questions on each assessment and you need to score at least 70% in an assessment to pass the course. I found the questions to be really hard since you have to input the correct answer (there are no multiple choice questions)... so the slightest mistake and your answer is marked wrong. The good thing about ALEKS is the price ($20) and the ability to stop the assessment at any time and go back to where you left off... so if you are stuck on a question you have all the time you want to try to learn the concept in a book or online, etc. Another positive is that no proctoring is required.

SL's College Algebra has 4 non-proctored exams and 1 final proctored exam. Each of the 4 exams are worth 150 points and the final is worth 400 points. You also need 70% (700 out of 1000) to pass. The exams are multiple choice, so you can at least guess the correct answer and have a chance of getting it right. The questions seemed a lot easier and less complex than ALEKS'. On the other hand, there is the final exam, which is proctored, closed-book and weighs 40% of the total grade for the course.

What helped me pass both courses was Udacity's College Algebra course - it's a free video-based interactive course. I also used Mathway when I got stuck on a problem.
COSC A.S. :coolgleam:

COSC (3 cr): Cornerstone (In progress)

SL (57 cr): English Comp. I & II - Intro to Communications - Business Ethics - U.S. History I & II - Western Civ. I & II - Cultural Anthropology - Sociology - Biology w/Lab - Chemistry w/Lab - College Algebra - Microbiology w/ Lab - Intro to Business - Macroeconomics - Intro to Religion - American Gov.

Penn Foster (3 cr): Art Appreciation
Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,178 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  finishing ALEKS? a2jc4life 2 1,025 07-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  Beginning my journey coldseal 20 4,421 05-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Last Post: coldseal
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,375 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  My Journey: TESU BSBA Ideas 197 52,733 04-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Last Post: sarg123
  originalamyj Journey to BA in English from TESU originalamyj 40 7,113 03-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  My journey to my TESU BSBA degree BearEDU 6 1,721 03-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Last Post: BearEDU
  Start of my Journey. oniflednitsua 5 1,311 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Graduation Journey Ideas 12 3,019 12-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  DocMarvin's Journey to AA GenStudies and BSAST in Technical Studies docmarvin 25 4,546 11-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Ideas