Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS question
Both of my kids are working on ALEKS. They did their first assessments in college algebra, getting 50 something percent. Another assessment popped up, if they pass and get 70% will they receive their 3 credits? Does this work for any assessment if it doesn't say final exam?

Sorry , this is new for us.

Rg
No. The secondary assessments will only be on material that they've worked on their pie. They can progress their assessed percentage only as far as they've worked through the pie (unless you redo the initial assessment). In other words, if they initially scored 50%, and have since worked 10% through the pie. The best case for the secondary assessment is 60%.

Does that make sense?
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
When will a major one come up that will earn credits?
They all count. The assessed percentage is what matters for ACE (verified by an assessment, not just progressed on the pie). Students continue to work the pie to increase the working percentage. Periodically assessments pop up to validate the percentage and this increases the assessment percentage dependent on the score of the assessment. I believe the periodic assessments can be requested from the master account, but I typically let them come up naturally.

If for some reason you just bombed the initial assessment (my first class I just clicked through it quickly), you can cancel the course and re-enroll and retake the initial assessment. If you are working the pie and learning the material, I would not recommend this.

Done!
I see you are working on intro to stats. Do you think the kids should study a bit before taking the assessment or just go for it? How is the class?
geissingert Wrote:I see you are working on intro to stats. Do you think the kids should study a bit before taking the assessment or just go for it? How is the class?

It depends on the depth you are looking to achieve in these areas. I studied before my initial assessments, but I mostly want to just check the credits off of my requirements and don't want to spend a ton of time on these classes. I've already taken them all at some point in my off and on academic career and this is mostly just a refresher for me.

If I had my children learning this material for the first time, I would have them take it cold. I would then have them work through the pies in ALEKS, as the classes build upon each other and depth is helpful. If they truely have no need for math and just need the credits, study before the assessment. The required understanding is most broad at this point.

Stats has been challenging, because I have not taken a formal stats class. That, with my general boredom for math, has caused this class to take longer than I'd like. The ALEKS system however should not be blamed for this.

Done!
My kids both enjoy math. They are mainly taking the classes to get their credits. They are focusing on growing their talents in what they are passionate about. Stats is just to earn the credits.
Thank you for your input!!!!
Make sure the college they attend accepts ACE approved credits. Obviously the "Big 3" do; however, some do not so just verify before you invest time and money into anything.
Welcome to Stats! Instead of using ALEKS right away, you kids might first enjoy a brand new free EdEx course that started today: https://www.edx.org/course/utaustinx/uta...Fk57MnX_Ak You won't earn credit directly from this MOOC, but you may be able to take the DSST Stats exam or score sufficiently high on the ALEKS initial assessment that you don't have too much more to go to earn the credits. The most difficult aspect of Stats is understanding what the heck you are trying to do. ALEKS is the best for honing in on the details for "how" to do but is weak on "what" to do. If you decide to go for this 15 week - 5hr/wk course as a prep for CBE, please let me know. I am taking this EdEx course along with my math-phobic student as an experiment to find a better way to learn stats without tedium. I don't know if this EdEx course is it, but it sure looks like a better approach to someone like myself who has had to learn stats the hard way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,173 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,349 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 619 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 550 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 739 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,203 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  ACTFL signup question(s) Insert Name 9 981 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  ACTFL question Jennr2z 5 826 06-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,459 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  ACTFL- silly question... uncapentin 10 1,148 02-22-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore