Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS stats question
I'm still working my way through ALEKS' Intro to Stats, and I have what is probably a silly question.  How do I learn how to use the calculator?  I've never used a calculator for any function more advanced than the square root button, so I don't even know how standard or non-standard the ALEKS calculator is, and I'm not sure what to look up.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
John Wood on Youtube seems to have the best info for this.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • a2jc4life
+1 for John Wood. You will not find any better source.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bezzina's post:
  • pugmomx2
The Aleks Intro to Stats course is VERY DIFFICULT I wish I would have just done it on SL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimmy999's post:
  • AwardTour
Not silly at all!!! I had the same question and frustration in 2008 Wink Learning to use my calculator changed everything lol. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...statistics
Rachel, whatever you do, do NOT forget to write down every single problem type. Some of the problems are so similarly worded, that you'll need a physical record of them to go back to and note the differences. Sometimes it's just a single word that changes how a problem is worked out. Writing it down also works a different part of the brain, which aids in remembering the formulas later on. I used up half a note book on Intro to Stats.  I had charts, graphs, drawings, you name it. I would even tape notes all around my desk and walls so that I could see them during the tests. Yes Stats was difficult, but I got through it in ten days all because of my trusty notebook. I don't know how anyone could do it without proper notes. Best of luck.
ALEKS(9): College Algebra, Trig, Intro to Statistics
Sophia(42): Intro to Sociology, Human Biology, Environmental Science, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Developing Effective Teams, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Art History I, Approaches to Studying Religions, History I, History II, Introduction to Psychology, Visual Communications, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Intro to Information Technology, Student Success
Straighterline(6): English Comp I, English Comp II
The Institutes(2): Ethics 312
TEEX(16): Cyber Security 101/201/301, Death Investigation, Basic Criminal Investigation, Foundations of Courtroom Testimony, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Forensic Photography

(07-17-2018, 11:39 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Not silly at all!!!  I had the same question and frustration in 2008 Wink Learning to use my calculator changed everything lol. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...statistics

I ended up using my own calculator since it didn't say anything about requiring that I use theirs. In fact, I just finished the course without using it once.

It only took 30 days of prep, primarily using the Khan Academy videos and a grueling 8+hour initial assessment test, but I managed to pass on the first assessment with 106 of 116 topics mastered. That had to be longest prep time and the hardest course I've taken to date (though primarily due to my dyscalculia). Doubly so given the unexpected way some of the questions were presented (different approach than the examples I worked while learning) coupled with the fact that they tested for material not provided in my Khan Academy review.

Given all that, I should have tried the Business Stats assessment instead since I should have passed with a 77%, but there is no way I am going to do that assessment again. I don't need a UL stats course anyway. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Thank you!! I need 14 more topics, which is doable, but I'm down to the wire now, with the ACE approval expiring at the end of this month.

APStatsGuy (@MrNystrom) on YouTube has been a lifesaver, along with Khan Academy videos. But the "buttons" on the ALEKS calculator don't match the graphic calculator APStatsGuy uses, so I'm actually having to bypass the calculator for most of the more complex calculations, and do them by hand or use the tables. Tongue Math muddles my brain (not sure if I have mild dyscalculia or am just generally not great at match), so I'm pretty pleased with my progress -- but a bit stressed about whether I'll finish this in time.

And yes, I have notes all over the place! lol
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

(07-25-2018, 12:25 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: Thank you!!   I need 14 more topics, which is doable, but I'm down to the wire now, with the ACE approval expiring at the end of this month.

APStatsGuy (@MrNystrom) on YouTube has been a lifesaver, along with Khan Academy videos.  But the "buttons" on the ALEKS calculator don't match the graphic calculator APStatsGuy uses, so I'm actually having to bypass the calculator for most of the more complex calculations, and do them by hand or use the tables. Tongue  Math muddles my brain (not sure if I have mild dyscalculia or am just generally not great at match), so I'm pretty pleased with my progress -- but a bit stressed about whether I'll finish this in time.

And yes, I have notes all over the place! lol

I watched a few of the APStatsGuy videos as well when I was going through the Khan Academy material. I like his teaching style. Mr. Nystrom also approaches things in a slightly different way from Sal Khan, which helped me grok some of the topics I was struggling with understanding after viewing the Khan Academy video. I also found some online books (like Stats Without Tears) and websites (like Stat Trek) which helped fill in some blanks.

I also recommend looking at the John Wood videos. Or at least the ones that cover specific types of problems you're having issues with, or if you're having issues with the ALEKS calculator, for example. I don't like the teaching style as much, but they do work examples using ALEKS, and use the online calculator as part of it. I ended up having to watch one of those videos during the assessment since I just couldn't figure out what they wanted me to do, and without seeing a worked example from the John Wood material, I wouldn't have understood how to proceed. Once I did I realized it was something I already knew how to do, but was just presented in a way I didn't understand.

Good notes are important as well. I created more than 20 pages of them while watching the videos and reviewing online materials. I ended up putting everything in One Note, which is nice since I would type in stuff in and then use my pen & graphics tablet to add diagrams or annotations to help me understand things better. Or I'd grab images from the web and paste those in.

Its all about the time investment. You can get it done if you're able to put in the time. Now that I'm done with stats, I'm seeing if I can rush through trig before the end of the month. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Woohoo! I passed!!
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

[-] The following 2 users Like a2jc4life's post:
  • cookderosa, hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question Promo Codes, SL vs Sophia Breaachh 11 691 02-11-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Breaachh
  Basic Question About Sophia Touchstones RachelB 10 1,839 10-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats retro 10 869 09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Anyone recently take the Study.com stats 101 final exam? oh.golly.molly 1 804 05-02-2023, 02:17 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,313 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Google IT Support - course question and ACE rvm 2 925 01-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: rvm
  SDC BIO 101 - question on Labster Mr T 5 626 01-03-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Mr T
  Study.com question - Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab Mr T 6 1,472 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,523 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
  Another Sophia Spanish I question uncapentin 4 861 11-16-2022, 01:49 PM
Last Post: uncapentin