Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accrediting Council for Independent College and Schools
(01-25-2021, 01:39 PM)Old Guy Wrote:  ACICS is likely within acceptable quality limits.  The Swamp is back in town.  Enjoy it - good and hard.

I don't think it is. Look at the various debacles of ACICS-accredited schools that brought this mess to the forefront. e.g. Corinthian. Students "defrauded at 91 campuses." https://www.ed.gov/category/keyword/corinthian-colleges

Is this kind of accreditation 'within acceptable quality limits?' No, it clearly isn't -and this is only one example. When ACICS was shuttered,  it should have stayed shuttered - like Trump University. My take - Betsy DeVos simply made a mistake - one that would please her boss, Donald Trump. I do not suspect her of any personal gain motive. I don't like what she did here, but I don't suspect her of anything like that. She may have been cajoled, (or not) but money? No.
(01-27-2021, 12:27 AM)Johann Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 01:39 PM)Old Guy Wrote:  ACICS is likely within acceptable quality limits.  The Swamp is back in town.  Enjoy it - good and hard.

I don't think it is. Look at the various debacles of ACICS-accredited schools that brought this mess to the forefront. e.g. Corinthian. Students "defrauded at 91 campuses." https://www.ed.gov/category/keyword/corinthian-colleges

Is this kind of accreditation 'within acceptable quality limits?' No, it clearly isn't -and this is only one example. When ACICS was shuttered,  it should have stayed shuttered - like Trump University. My take - Betsy DeVos simply made a mistake - one that would please her boss, Donald Trump. I do not suspect her of any personal gain motive. I don't like what she did here, but I don't suspect her of anything like that. She may have been cajoled, (or not) but money? No.

No, this was DeVos all over. She doesn't believe in public anything. Everything should be private and for-profit. This is why she was put in the position to begin with, even though she had no qualifications for it. She was there to pull out the teeth of the department she was hired to manage, just like all the other unqualified people put in charge of departments that were supposed to look after the public good (EPA, FDA, NOAA, etc.). They were specifically hired to tear down regulations and create a financial bonanza for those who put money above all else.

Like Trump "University."
[-] The following 2 users Like monchevy's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
Corinthian was guilty of the same thing every school is. They told the same lie that graduates make 1,000 times what non-grads make. They were guilty of effective marketing.

Non-profits commit a different fraud. They have the students and government pay $300,00 - 400,000 a year to tenured staff to teach a boner course or two a year instead of having a grad student do it for his tuition. These are the guys that should be in jail. Everyone is in it for the bucks. The brick and mortars just do a better job of camouflaging it.
(01-27-2021, 09:20 AM)Old Guy Wrote: Corinthian was guilty of the same thing every school is.  They told the same lie that graduates make 1,000 times what non-grads make.  They were guilty of effective marketing.

Non-profits commit a different fraud.  They have the students and government pay $300,00 - 400,000 a year to tenured staff to teach a boner course or two a year instead of having a grad student do it for his tuition.  These are the guys that should be in jail.  Everyone is in it for the bucks.  The brick and mortars  just do a better job of camouflaging it.

That I agree with. Schools are in it for the money, no matter what their designation. Public or private, profit or non. The problem is when schools offer substandard education to anyone who can write a check, and promise them the world on top of it. There are so many people out there paying a fortune to schools that don't care what shoddy work they hand in. College is not for everyone. All schools should have academic standards. 

I work with someone who can't write, can't spell, and can barely express himself in English. Nor does he understand English very well. Yet he somehow has a degree from a CUNY university. How did he get through 4 years of classes without being taught English? How did he get passing grades on his assignments? Now mind you, I have nothing against people who speak English as a second language. His English is miles better than my Spanish!! But again, how do you get a degree from an American university without being able to read and write in English? 

I'm also in CC classes online with people whose discussion posts I can barely make sense of (most of them speak English as their native language). How did they graduate high school? How are they passing any classes at all?

The main point of this rant is that people are graduating from college woefully unprepared for the working world, simply because they paid for a degree. Yet folks like me, with no degree at all but decades of documented skills and experience, are put BELOW them in the pecking order when it comes to employment. They will get an interview, and my application won't even be seen. And this is what happens when you can buy a degree instead of earning it... whether it's from a non-profit, for-profit, public or private school.
[-] The following 2 users Like monchevy's post:
  • Johann, rachel83az
(01-27-2021, 09:07 AM)monchevy Wrote:

No, this was DeVos all over. She doesn't believe in public anything... 
Here's an article about the legacy of DeVos in the area of higher education
The Betsy DeVos legacy: not much in higher education (insidehighered.com)
(01-27-2021, 10:16 PM)Alpha Wrote: Here's an article about the legacy of DeVos in the area of higher education

Nice vile political rhetoric.  I can create that too, should I choose.  It is interesting how traditional schools lie about the value of education and it is okay but for-profits doing the same thing is bad.
(01-27-2021, 10:16 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 09:07 AM)monchevy Wrote:

No, this was DeVos all over. She doesn't believe in public anything... 
Here's an article about the legacy of DeVos in the area of higher education

Actually, as a former homeschooler, I appreciate Betsy DeVos - she was pro-homeschooling.  She's also pro-school-choice, which is nice.

No idea on the college thing, I haven't spent any time researching that.  But I'm sure there's good and bad there - as there are with most people.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Apparently we are in the midst of a lengthy period of voting, revoking, appealing, etc but the final outcome seems clear.  ACICS will lose its authority and the schools that have remained under their accreditation will have 18 months to find another accreditor or they will lose their financial aid eligibility.  This will be a death sentence for most of them.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/higher...ve-updates
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • Johann
(03-11-2021, 09:01 AM)Alpha Wrote: Apparently we are in the midst of a lengthy period of voting, revoking, appealing, etc but the final outcome seems clear.  ACICS will lose its authority and the schools that have remained under their accreditation will have 18 months to find another accreditor or they will lose their financial aid eligibility.  This will be a death sentence for most of them.

GOOD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • Johann
(03-11-2021, 09:26 AM)monchevy Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 09:01 AM)Alpha Wrote: Apparently we are in the midst of a lengthy period of voting, revoking, appealing, etc but the final outcome seems clear.  ACICS will lose its authority and the schools that have remained under their accreditation will have 18 months to find another accreditor or they will lose their financial aid eligibility.  This will be a death sentence for most of them.

GOOD.

GREAT! Folks over at ACCET and ACCSC (and to some extent DEAC) should plan for extra phone lines. The good will apply - the bad will die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,184 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,539 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,932 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 425 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 233 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 499 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 391 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 730 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 247 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP