Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC LA Capstone Instructors
(07-12-2013, 10:31 AM)Sterling Archer Wrote: I would avoid Catherine Peck like the plague. Trust me.

I agree. If you run up against her ego at any point, you will be made to run the gauntlet. Other professors at TESU can admit when they make a mistake, but she cannot. She may be fine if that never happens, but if it happens, look out.

(10-27-2013, 05:04 PM)localsheriff Wrote: Bump.. Any recommendations? Any reviews of Weischadle? Or Rosenbaum-haydel?

Haydel is extremely invested in the success of her students. Extremely.

She sets up a weekly Zoom meeting right away, and she also asks for student numbers and she calls you - but only in the evening. So if you're not available for the Zoom meetings and don't take her calls, I'm not sure how the course will go for you. It's hard to imagine that you will be graded as well as those who participate in all the "extra" things.

If you want a distant professor, or one who is there if needed, but not the smothering mothering type, then Haydel is not for you. But if you want an extreme level of support and have the ability to make the time and take the calls, etc., then she is a good choice for you.

(10-28-2013, 07:16 AM)sklineho Wrote:
Westerner Wrote:I've heard from friends who've had Dr. Otto that he's hard, vague and unhelpful, though I haven't had direct experience with him. For future reference, I have Steve Ryan for this course and he's nice and helpful Cool

From what I hear, this is most all of them. Thankfully the instructions for each module were pretty much on point. I got an A in the class without ever buying either textbook (but I've also got experience writing large papers, so if you don't, you may want to get them anyway.)

I'm also a strong writer and have straight As with two years of 300 & 400 level research papers behind me. All A's. However, in the first assignment for Dr. Peck, I was given a C. She said she docked me 30% because I didn't answer the questions asked. Was she drunk when she graded my paper? I don't know. I wrote back and bolded each section that answered one of the asked questions. Rather than adjust my grade, she then said the problem was that I didn't use the first person pronoun. So rather than admit her mistake when she graded/justified the mark the first time, she invented a new problem. I believe that's a problem with her ego, so I just dropped her course and will take it with a grown-up later.

(11-05-2013, 01:38 PM)ladyofshalott Wrote: Originally Posted by Sterling Archer
Quote:I would avoid Catherine Peck like the plague. Trust me.

I have to politely disagree with Sterling Archer regarding Catherine Peck. Perhaps there were different factors involved with our perceptions of her?

At the beginning of the course when I was going through topic options, I sent her a detailed email with my ideas and asked her opinions...she wrote back a long email with encouraging suggestions and further information to pick a well-rounded main question and subquestions. Also, she gets back with me right away (she prefers email and so do I!) on questions I have. I'm also happy with her grading-style as she gives me clear direction in what she's looking for and what I need to fix (I've had a terrible experience on that account with another TESC professor). All around I'm very pleased with her...but maybe it will be different for others...or maybe the next few chapters will change my perception? Sad

Anyhow, that was my two cents. Smile Hope it helps someone!

I agree with the first post. Catherine Peck becomes problematic if you run up against her ego. She is encouraging, nice and all that - true - but she can't admit to her mistakes. Rather than take ownership of her own failings, she will gaslight her students.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 361 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,326 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,040 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,144 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 878 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 662 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 875 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 1,975 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,657 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne