Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternatives for basic computer and information literacy
I'm currently working on a data science degree from a local college that requires 6 credits towards basic computer and information literacy. I've listed the descriptions below. I'm going to die from boredom based off of the textbooks and syllabi for these courses and don't want to spend a whole semester on this. It's all introductory material that I already know from being a working professional and avid computer user. 

I'm hoping I'll be able to replace these with credits from experiential learning. If that doesn't work, are there any quick certs or easy-to-pass-with-a-quiz courses that I might be able to utilize? I was thinking that maybe the Google IT Support cert with ACE credits could be option since I qualify for the free cert.

(NOTE: Based off of the textbook for this course, it's a very basic introductory course to computers and IT.)  
CGS 1309 Computer and Information Technology Concepts
A survey problem solving course which deals with subjects related to varied computer and information technology topics. A broad range of conceptual and practical subjects in IT are covered. An overview of the IT field, detailed information about some specialties to include Computer Support, Cybersecurity, Networking, Programming, and Web Development. This course satisfies the computer competency requirement.

(NOTE: This is basically an entry level course for Microsoft Office course covering PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Access)
CGS 1100 Computer Applications
This course is an introduction to fundamental concepts utilizing a computer as the tool. Contemporary projects are produced through the use of integrated applications software. Selected topics include the Internet, operating systems, and creating and evaluating documents, worksheets, and presentations. Guidelines for selecting computer hardware and software are addressed. Satisfactory completion of this course meets the Computer and Information Literacy graduation requirement.
Unfortunately, the Google certificate isn't currently worth ACE credits and we aren't sure if/when it will be renewed. https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...0d3a363c81

Does your school even accept ACE credits? (Many do not.) What about NCCRS credits? (Even fewer do.) Sophia.org (ACE) has Introduction to IT while Coopersmith (NCCRS) has a few computer applications courses that could work - if approved/accepted.

Study.com (ACE) has Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications and Computer Science 102: Fundamentals of Information Technology.

Any of these should be much faster than spending a whole semester on them at your college.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
That's a shame, I thought the Google certificate would have already been renewed for ACE by now.  If Google did finally renew, would I be eligible for ACE credits if I had completed it prior? 

I'll have to look into the ACE and NCCRS credits. Thank you for these recommendations!
In order to get credit for it, you need to have completed it while it was ACE-recommended. If you have already completed it previously (while ACE-recommended) and simply haven't claimed your Credly badge with the ACE recommendation on it, you should still be able to do so. But if you complete it now, it won't count unless the ACE-recommendation is retroactively dated. That does sometimes happen, in that a course is sometimes up for renewal and the website hasn't been updated to reflect this, but we don't know if that'll happen with the Google IT certificate.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
You could check if the information systems CLEP and Computing information technology DSST would qualify. Both would just be a single test each.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
All of this is moot unless you find out what your college will accept.

So the first question is, will they accept CLEP exams? If so, take the Info Sys exam.
Second: will they accept DSST exams? If so, take Computing Info Tech.
Third: will they accept ACE credit? If so, you're better off taking 2 courses from Sophia (Intro to IT being one of those) because while the CLEP is free through Modern States, the DSST is $89 plus testing center fees, making it more expensive than a month of Sophia.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
It's possible to use PLA (Prior Learning Assessment) to get credit for your experience from a few places. The problem is that it's not necessarily cheap or easy, and there's a chance your school might not accept them. You have to write and assemble at portfolio that is evaluated by the school. If your school would accept on one of the alternative credit sources, that will be easier to do.

I did it for several courses (see my sig) but that was because at the time, the necessary alternative credit simply did not exist.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The Google IT Support Professional Certificate has been renewed! https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ate-at-ACE
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 298 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,091 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
  We Have Moved on From the Basic “Big 3” Colleges and Now Have CBE Big 3 and Others LevelUP 57 7,342 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,603 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,229 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,134 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,612 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 849 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 790 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,229 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill