Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amberton University
Congratulations and best of luck!

I have no first hand experience with Amberton, but I love their programs looking from the outside looking in. I think you've made a great choice, will learn a lot, and will be pleased with the outcome.

Congrats, again!
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

[-] The following 2 users Like Maniac Craniac's post:
  • hsfamfun, ss20ts
(02-24-2022, 07:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Congrats!  Wow, that was a fast application process!  Good luck and have fun!  I look forward to reading about your new journey into this MS Project Management degree... It's an interesting Masters, 30 credits, 6 required, 18 for the major, and 6 credits as electives.  I am curious, did you have any previous courses to transfer in?

I transferred in 6 credits from Charleston Southern University. There's a prereq course that was waived from my PM minor at UMPI.
Today I attend an admissions info session with Amberton. Even though I've already been accepted and registered for classes I thought I might learn something and I did. I was actually really impressed with the way they coordinate and run their info sessions. Admissions, financial aid, and the library all had staff on the Zoom call. Each division shared some info.

I really enjoyed the library director showing us around the library website since I'm an online student. This is a pet peeve of mine. I feel that few schools with online programs show students what is available to them and how to access the online library. The director showed us the different databases, ebook rentals, and went over Statista with us. All classes use APA. There's a tab on the library website to help students with APA questions.

There's also a chat feature that is available when the library is staffed. They have pretty long hours. The chat feature isn't some third party useless thing like most chat features. One of the librarians working will actually respond to you! If you have a question that's not library related they will help guide you to the correct office as well. I was pretty blown away that the chat isn't a bot but a real human being. The director of the library who has a PhD also teaches RGS6035 Theory & Application of Research Methods which is required of all grad students. He was very enthusiastic and interested in helping students.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • suzycupcake
did you do more courses at Charleston or did they accept all of them? and weren't you doing UMPI's masters at one point as well. Hopefully, you didn't have grad credits go to waste and not transfer?
(03-03-2022, 01:14 PM)natshar Wrote: did you do more courses at Charleston or did they accept all of them? and weren't you doing UMPI's masters at one point as well. Hopefully, you didn't have grad credits go to waste and not transfer?

I completed 2 courses at Charleston and both transferred to Amberton. I was going to do the MAOL at UMPI but I want to get into project management so I went a different route. I'm so happy I did after talking to ashkir about his MAOL experience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • natshar
(03-03-2022, 01:37 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 01:14 PM)natshar Wrote: did you do more courses at Charleston or did they accept all of them? and weren't you doing UMPI's masters at one point as well. Hopefully, you didn't have grad credits go to waste and not transfer?

I completed 2 courses at Charleston and both transferred to Amberton. I was going to do the MAOL at UMPI but I want to get into project management so I went a different route. I'm so happy I did after talking to ashkir about his MAOL experience.

Well I'm glad nothing went to waste then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • ss20ts
(03-03-2022, 01:43 PM)natshar Wrote: Well I'm glad nothing went to waste then.

That was one reason I went with Amberton. I was debating about going back to Charleston, but really struggled with the papers and discussions on religion as I'm not religious. It was kind of odd because the weeks there were religious assignments, we didn't cover topical material. This happened in both of the classes I took. If one is religious especially Christian then they may not struggle with this.
Classes began on Saturday. I actually had access on Friday so I got a jumpstart on reviewing the courses. The coursework is very manageable to me. The discussions are not horrible. Some need citations. Some don't. Depends on the professor. Some classes have quite a bit of reading. One has 2-3 chapters a week and another has 5 chapters a week. That's for the first 2 weeks of the session. The session is 10 weeks long. Not many papers for me this session. Two of my professors are holding optional Zoom meetings in the evenings. They're recored so we can watch them later. The amount of work is definitely less than I was expecting but the school is catering to working adults who don't have 10 hours a day to do a class. Only 1 class has exams and those are open book. They don't have a time limit like an hour or two either. So far it's going pretty good. I'm liking the classes I picked so far.
[-] The following 4 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, lidel, SteveFoerster, suzycupcake
@ss20ts - I just noticed your signature updated.  Did you change your degree plans from the MS in Agile Project Management to the MBA (Project Management?)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(04-25-2022, 01:37 PM)allvia Wrote: @ss20ts - I just noticed your signature updated.  Did you change your degree plans from the MS in Agile Project Management to the MBA (Project Management?)

Yup I've changed to an MBA after talking to a few people. It brings more diversity than one as strict as the MS in APM. I don't want to be pigeon holed and I want to be able to move up the corporate ladder. The MBA will allow me to do that whereas the MS in APM wouldn't.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • allvia, suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 290 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 753 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,960 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,188 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 507 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,345 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 377 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,733 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 682 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,316 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel