Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amberton University
Originally I had my eye on the Professional Development one just because of that reason (the ability to basically take whatever interests me) but how useful will it really be is what I’m thinking. I’m in pharma so the MBA or MHA would def be more useful (or an MS in something) but to me would be torture I think.

If I’m going to do this, I really want it to be what *I* want it to be and to be fun because I honestly don’t want to advance my career much more but would like to say I have a masters. Work pays $10k TA each year so it’s kind of like “why not”?

Appreciate any more thoughts on this. Thanks!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
The MBA would probably be more of a career benefit. But your happiness is also something to factor in. If you're miserable in an MBA program is it worth it? The MA in Prof Dev provides an opportunity to take some fun classes and learn things you want to learn.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • suzycupcake
And I can also earn a certificate while taking it too. I think this conversation is sealing the deal for me!!! I’ve already been accepted So it’s a matter of when to start!
Started June 2022

Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
(04-30-2022, 10:27 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: And I can also earn a certificate while taking it too. I think this conversation is sealing the deal for me!!!  I’ve already been accepted So it’s a matter of when to start!

Yes - you can earn a certificate, or or more, as part of the MA Professional Development degree. I will end up with at least one of their graduate certificates.

If you want to transfer some cheap grad credits in to expedite the degree see this thread, as it is still relevant - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-graduated
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • suzycupcake
I remember that thread and you have to take the 3 credit courses, right? Seems they’re all teacher related or is there a place I’m missing that has more choices in it? I have to look into that thread more deeply because I think Kevin reviewed his strategy for taking those classes.

Thank you again! You rock!
Started June 2022

(04-30-2022, 10:27 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: And I can also earn a certificate while taking it too. I think this conversation is sealing the deal for me!!!  I’ve already been accepted So it’s a matter of when to start!

Yes you can complete certificates as well. There are no additional fees for the certificates either. You can complete multiple certificates as well.
(04-30-2022, 10:44 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: I remember that thread and you have to take the 3 credit courses, right? Seems they’re all teacher related or is there a place I’m missing that has more choices in it? I have to look into that thread more deeply because I think Kevin reviewed his strategy for taking those classes.

It's often cheaper and easier to find/earn graduate-level credits through professional development courses for teachers, which includes VESi and others: https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...ses.60067/

FHSU Online is also only $298.55/credit and offers a lot of non-degree courses: https://www.fhsu.edu/academic/gradschl/tuition/
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • suzycupcake
Thank you too!!!
Started June 2022

(04-30-2022, 10:44 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: I remember that thread and you have to take the 3 credit courses, right? Seems they’re all teacher related or is there a place I’m missing that has more choices in it? I have to look into that thread more deeply because I think Kevin reviewed his strategy for taking those classes.

Yes.  Amberton will only take 3 credit courses.

(04-30-2022, 11:01 AM)carrythenothing Wrote:

It's often cheaper and easier to find/earn graduate-level credits through professional development courses for teachers, which includes VESi and others: https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...ses.60067/

FHSU Online is also only $298.55/credit and offers a lot of non-degree courses: https://www.fhsu.edu/academic/gradschl/tuition/

The method from the thread I shared above are VESi course credits. So, I agree VESi would be the cheapest option to knock out the 4 courses you're allowed to transfer in.  Myself, I transferred courses in from other graduate programs I had tried (but ended up not being a good match for me).  That thread offers a great deal of insight on the MA Professional Development - insight that I would only be repeating. Amberton only takes RA credits (which is how the VESi credits end up being transcribed as), so that is something to consider if you're looking at other low cost graduate credit options.

Amberton courses are already lower cost ($285 per credit) than those offered through FHSU Online, so there would be no financial benefit in that option.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • suzycupcake
(04-30-2022, 11:01 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: It's often cheaper and easier to find/earn graduate-level credits through professional development courses for teachers, which includes VESi and others: https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...ses.60067/

Amberton's tuition is only $285 per credit so it wouldn't make sense to spend more on courses at FHSU to transfer them to Amberton. I didn't do any of the VESI courses because they seemed like a lot of writing and I didn't find them to be all that cheap. The Prof Dev degree at Amberton isn't for teachers. I mean it's cool that they'll accept some credits from VESI but I didn't find them to be interesting to me as I'm not interested in teaching. Amberton's tuition is also really cheap for grad school and I wanted all the business courses I could get. VESI classes won't help lots of people with their careers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 199 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 712 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,858 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,103 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 493 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,315 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 369 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,638 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 662 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,289 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel