Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any alternative to CLEP DSST etc?
Hello,

Just found this forum by searching on Google, here is my question and your reply would be highly appreciated.

I want to start a Bachelor Degree from scratch. I have read a lot about CLEP and other exams, unfortunately, I am living in Toronto, Canada and there isn't any CLEP examination place here. Collegeboard website shows one college website "Talpiot College" but I went there in person and they disappointed me by news that they no longer conduct any type of examination etc. They said they already requested to Collegeboard to remove their name, but they haven't yet. Anyhow... so here is the deal,

I am working full time, unable to travel far from Toronto. Please suggest me any alternative to CLEP DSST etc where I can find self-paced courses with almost same price as CLEP if that even exist ( and yes, I already looked into Athabasca, its out of my pocket - I have jobless Girl friend and I am paying for her too). I want a degree either in Business , IT or CJ. I would even say any Bachelor degree will work. I want to start from scratch, so my plan is to test out all 120 credits and than Transfer to BIG-3.

Feel free to comment, suggest, recommend, I am open for any option and once again, thanks in advance.
Tunnel Wrote:Hello,

Just found this forum by searching on Google, here is my question and your reply would be highly appreciated.

I want to start a Bachelor Degree from scratch. I have read a lot about CLEP and other exams, unfortunately, I am living in Toronto, Canada and there isn't any CLEP examination place here. Collegeboard website shows one college website "Talpiot College" but I went there in person and they disappointed me by news that they no longer conduct any type of examination etc. They said they already requested to Collegeboard to remove their name, but they haven't yet. Anyhow... so here is the deal,

I am working full time, unable to travel far from Toronto. Please suggest me any alternative to CLEP DSST etc where I can find self-paced courses with almost same price as CLEP if that even exist ( and yes, I already looked into Athabasca, its out of my pocket - I have jobless Girl friend and I am paying for her too). I want a degree either in Business , IT or CJ. I would even say any Bachelor degree will work. I want to start from scratch, so my plan is to test out all 120 credits and than Transfer to BIG-3.

Feel free to comment, suggest, recommend, I am open for any option and once again, thanks in advance.

Without CLEP & DSST you'll want to look at other options such as straighterline.com, aleks.com, or tests which are available from TESC (TECEP) or Excelsior (ECE). As for CLEP & DSST, you might find it worth a drive to take them. Your options for credits will depend on the school you choose and which of the degrees you settle on. For DSST I found another school listed near you based on the DSST search tool (getcollegecredit.com).

TRIOS COLLEGE
55 CITY CENTER DRIVE, SUITE 200
MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO L5B 1M3
CANADA
905-949-4955
MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO, INTL
triOS College - Home
This Location:
* Delivers DSST exams.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
You have to first verify that the school you plan on attending will accept ACE-approved courses. If they do, then Straighterline, ALEKs, and Penn Foster are options. I believe Excelsior and UExcel exams are given at select Pearson Vue testing centers and colleges, so you will have to see if they have any near Toronto. TECEPs (and probably Ohio University exams) can be taken with any approved proctor.

http://www7.pearsonvue.com/Dispatcher?ap...2L&cid=436
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I live in the Niagara Falls area of the US. It is hard to find centers that administer DSST near here, but there are a few places that administer CLEP. I know it is about 2 hours but some centers give test on Saturday so you might be able to do 2 test in one day. I always call test centers to confirm before going in, some require appointments. or you could try phoning collegeboard (number is on their site and asking about centers in your area. I took all of my CLEP etc. when I was still in NJ there were testing centers at almost all community colleges there, some did not advertise but if you called they would tell you. I don't know if you have Pearson Vue test centers up there but they usually will administer TECEP (Thomas Edison) and ECE Excelsior exams. For Math courses ALEKS is an affordable at home alternative.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
New Mexico Junior College online classes would cost you about $206 US per 3 semester hour course.

Tuition and Fees - New Mexico Junior College

Also, check your nearest DeVry campuses. Many offer testing.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
*waves!*

• I've taken a DSST within the past year at TriOS in Mississauga, which cooperalex mentions. I was very happy with them!

ECE and UExcel should be available through many testing centers in Toronto and area. UExcel is a joint venture between Excelsior and Pearson currently offering eight lower division exams, (two of them 6 sh, 1 4 sh, the rest 3 sh).

TECEP exams are underappreciated here. They're paper-and-pencil, either all multiple-choice (e.g. Psychology of Women), all productive written response (e.g. English Composition I and II), or a mix (e.g. Business in Society). Proctors can be appropriate educational institutions or public libraries. I've taken several within the past year at Mississauga Central Library. I was very happy with them! Their test center fee was $25 per exam.

• Last I checked, the University at Buffalo and Buffalo State College test centers offered CLEP exams, and others, to the general public.

Prices will vary, but for illustration I just checked ca.megabus.com for a fare from Toronto to Buffalo on Monday of the week after next. Under $26, round trip, tax included. Honestly, allow time and Buffalo public transportation should be just fine for something like getting from the intercity bus station to a UB or the Buff State campus. (I'm a Toronto boy with Buffalo roots. UB has two main campuses. Also, allow lots of time for the border, where bus group processing can take a while.)

Please do NOT let this keep you from credit by examination. If the Buffalo run is an encumbrance, start with titles from any of the other major series first.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 698 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Are alternative credits only an American thing? mojave 24 2,270 09-08-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 513 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,475 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Alternative Teacher Licensure rlw74 10 1,565 02-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: hennygrean
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,853 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 853 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,325 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Alternative Credentials Alpha 4 776 05-04-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  WGU alternative outside of the USA rbat2021 21 3,870 03-24-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77