Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any institutions that don’t list source of credit?
With the COVID pandemic ruining things, I’m wondering are there any institutions that will take science courses from Straighterline, but won’t list that they came from Straighterline? I’m trying to go back to nursing school, but I have to retake all my sciences. I don’t know when I’ll be able to take them in person now because everything’s shut down. I’m pregnant and due in November, so I can’t wait til the fall. Thanks in advance!
Short answer is no.

There are a few different providers that offer courses in collaboration with another college, and the credits end up on that school's transcript. I've seen (but have not experienced) Portage Learning used by nursing students - looks like the actual credits come from Geneva College, so if your target school accepted their courses for transfer, you should be good. However, Portage courses cost $600+, so it's likely not a good choice if cost if the main factor.
(05-19-2020, 01:53 PM)Erikabol Wrote: With the COVID pandemic ruining things, I’m wondering are there any institutions that will take science courses from Straighterline, but won’t list that they came from Straighterline?

This is called credit laundering and it is not possible to do at any legitimate college.

I am pretty sure it is a violation of a college's accreditation to misrepresent the source of credits earned by a student on an official transcript. The source of credits is easily verified by when the college requests transcripts for each incoming student from the national student clearinghouse. They may also ask the student to just have each of their prior schools send them directly. In addition to verifying the source of credits, they also do this to make sure that incoming students are not on academic probation at prior schools due to unpaid tuition or other debts.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Check out Dallas County Community College. I'm not positive but I believe they partner with straighterline or at least they were talking about it at one time. Not sure if nursing is one they help with but maybe a different college would.
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
(05-19-2020, 01:53 PM)Erikabol Wrote: With the COVID pandemic ruining things, I’m wondering are there any institutions that will take science courses from Straighterline, but won’t list that they came from Straighterline? I’m trying to go back to nursing school, but I have to retake all my sciences. I don’t know when I’ll be able to take them in person now because everything’s shut down. I’m pregnant and due in November, so I can’t wait til the fall. Thanks in advance!
Look into ASU as part of Coronavirus deals:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...08-17-2020

Cheapest community colleges here:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ege-in-USA (Clovis, NMJC, Luna)

There may be something in there you can use that isn't ACE / NCCRS.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(05-19-2020, 02:35 PM)dbinghamjr Wrote: Short answer is no.

There are a few different providers that offer courses in collaboration with another college, and the credits end up on that school's transcript. I've seen (but have not experienced) Portage Learning used by nursing students - looks like the actual credits come from Geneva College, so if your target school accepted their courses for transfer, you should be good. However, Portage courses cost $600+, so it's likely not a good choice if cost if the main factor.
Turns out my state school accepts all of their pre-reqs from there except one! Thanks so much for the suggestion!

(05-19-2020, 05:04 PM)darthweezy Wrote: Check out Dallas County Community College. I'm not positive but I believe they partner with straighterline or at least they were talking about it at one time. Not sure if nursing is one they help with but maybe a different college would.

Thanks for the help! I’m thinking Portage might be my best option, and taking Straighterline courses for classes that don’t really “matter.”

(05-19-2020, 05:02 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:53 PM)Erikabol Wrote: With the COVID pandemic ruining things, I’m wondering are there any institutions that will take science courses from Straighterline, but won’t list that they came from Straighterline?

This is called credit laundering and it is not possible to do at any legitimate college.

I am pretty sure it is a violation of a college's accreditation to misrepresent the source of credits earned by a student on an official transcript. The source of credits is easily verified by when the college requests transcripts for each incoming student from the national student clearinghouse. They may also ask the student to just have each of their prior schools send them directly. In addition to verifying the source of credits, they also do this to make sure that incoming students are not on academic probation at prior schools due to unpaid tuition or other debts.
I didn’t know this, but I was looking for something more along the lines of what another poster suggested which is Portage through Geneva.

(05-19-2020, 05:36 PM)udi Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:53 PM)Erikabol Wrote: With the COVID pandemic ruining things, I’m wondering are there any institutions that will take science courses from Straighterline, but won’t list that they came from Straighterline? I’m trying to go back to nursing school, but I have to retake all my sciences. I don’t know when I’ll be able to take them in person now because everything’s shut down. I’m pregnant and due in November, so I can’t wait til the fall. Thanks in advance!
Look into ASU as part of Coronavirus deals:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...08-17-2020

Cheapest community colleges here:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ege-in-USA (Clovis, NMJC, Luna)

There may be something in there you can use that isn't ACE / NCCRS.
I’m technically still an ASU student and didn’t get that email  Dodgy   They didn’t have any science courses available though, at least ones I needed but I might take them anyone to save money on my liberal arts degree from Charter Oak that I’m planning out now. 

I’ve been using that cheapest schools list for years! I actually can get my associates from NMJC and took many courses there. It’s a pretty good school honestly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Erikabol's post:
  • udi
When you transfer ACE or NCCRS credits to TESU, it just says ACE or NCCRS. It does not say Study.com, Onlinedegree or anything like that.

If you need to transfer the credits to the nursing school itself, I don't think that will work. But if you are just showing a transcript to show that you had a pre-req, I don't know why it wouldn't.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tjguitar85's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,539 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Calculus 3 - Need A Source dharmastudios 21 3,862 03-08-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,958 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 456 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 250 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 747 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 216 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  Woolf University - Educational Partnership & Institutions bjcheung77 23 2,370 01-21-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Erasec63
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 699 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 485 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy