Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Art Institute > Penn Foster > TESU
I've spent the holidays on the forum and decided to try to salvage old credits from a nationally accredited school.

For context from an initial thread of mine:
"I'm a user interface designer and I've been in the field for over 20 years and have been very successful even with a lack of a degree but if I were to lose my job I would be in big trouble not having a Bachelors - even with an in -demand skill set. I have an old Associates Degree from the Art Institute (before they were regionally accredited so no transfers allowed). I have applied to TESU and Excelsior and both accepted me. I need to be able to tick that box. I had an interview Friday and the conversation went fantastic until I had to explain my degree situation. I could tell by the tone that it was over. With that being said, this is something I must do. I have decided on TESU but want to test out the maximum before registering"

I reached out to Penn Foster and I'm having my credits evaluated for transfer from AIP as PF is a nationally accredited school and has a relationship with them.

Hypothetical: They would accept X amount of credits, I would have to enroll for them to transfer the credits and then I could transfer out to TESU. Possibly? I would be willing to pick up some credits there and then transfer what I can; including what transferred from AIP (ACE) to TESU. Does this make sense or am I smoking crack?

I'm really trying to get as much of a head start as possible. Input would be appreciated.
-----------
Forgot. Can one test out at Penn Foster the same as TESU? I'm assuming so but I don't know if they are flexible like that.
1) I would not choose PF, because they are not RA.

2) The Big 3 all accept everyone who applies (assuming you're over 18/21, and even then will give waivers).

3) EC and WGU both accept NA credit.

4) If your courses don't transfer as you'd like, it's still not crazy to look at getting a degree from scratch. Depends on what you want to get, but I would not let old NA credits box me into a school or degree program. I would look at all of the options, figure out where I will get the most bang for my buck, and decide from there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • HAYDENTREE77
You have two options: 1) Go with schools that accept Nationally Accredited Associates into their Bachelors
Excelsior, Hodges, Kaplan University, Patten, WGU - Apply to the ones that have a free application going

2) Start from scratch, you can choose a TESU BALS using mainly CLEP/Shmoop for cheap/easy/fast option.
Apply to COSC, TESU if you would like to transfer the maximum amount of credits through ACE/CLEP

You might want to review this previous thread, as the last comment was to try COSC as well, it was updated a few minutes ago!
You also mentioned you would like to go for the TESU BALS, it can be completed relatively quick.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...#pid248996

Note: You want to find the degree of choice and see which institution gives you the most credits for your previous learning/studies.
An example, if you use Kaplan for their BSPS (Professional Studies - fancy name for General Studies), you can get up to 75% by transfer/credit assessment & PLA. It will cost $195/month of unlimited courses with the final capstone at $2200. If you can do 10 courses in 5 months, that'll be 195 X 5-10 months + $1500 PLA, + $2200 capstone = roughly $4700-$5700 for a BSPS degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • HAYDENTREE77
(01-01-2018, 05:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You have two options: 1) Go with schools that accept Nationally Accredited Associates into their Bachelors
Excelsior, Hodges, Kaplan University, Patten, WGU - Apply to the ones that have a free application going

2) Start from scratch, you can choose a TESU BALS using mainly CLEP/Shmoop for cheap/easy/fast option.
Apply to COSC, TESU if you would like to transfer the maximum amount of credits through ACE/CLEP

You might want to review this previous thread, as the last comment was to try COSC as well, it was updated a few minutes ago!
You also mentioned you would like to go for the TESU BALS, it can be completed relatively quick.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...#pid248996

Note: You want to find the degree of choice and see which institution gives you the most credits for your previous learning/studies.
An example, if you use Kaplan for their BSPS (Professional Studies - fancy name for General Studies), you can get up to 75% by transfer/credit assessment & PLA.  It will cost $195/month of unlimited courses with the final capstone at $2200.  If you can do 10 courses in 5 months, that'll be 195 X 5-10 months + $1500 PLA, + $2200 capstone = roughly $4700-$5700 for a BSPS degree.

Interesting. I will definitely consider these options. Appreciate it!
Just to be clear, even if Penn Foster accepts your credits that does nothing to get them into TESU. There's no way to "launder" credits through another school.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • cookderosa, jsd, sanantone
If PF will take some of my credits, I in turn complete what is missing, completing an Associate's degree that are all ACE.
Just know that you can't transfer those out to TESU like you implied in your original post.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-01-2018, 06:46 PM)jsd Wrote: Just know that you can't transfer those out to TESU like you implied in your original post.

I agree, your initial post is confusing.  You're talking about getting a degree at TESU, and also an AA at PF.  But, even if you get an AA at PF, that cannot be transferred to TESU.  They won't take your old NA credits from the Art Institute, and they won't take NA credits from PF.

They WILL take PF credits if they are ACE-approved, but that is something else altogether.

I would look at getting the BA that you want, rather than an AA from an NA school that probably won't satisfy employers either.  You're spending time trying to fit your credits into a degree, rather than trying to figure out what degree you want, and how you can get those credits cheaply and quickly.  That's what I meant when I said not to let your old credits box you into a degree.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-01-2018, 06:46 PM)jsd Wrote: Just know that you can't transfer those out to TESU like you implied in your original post.
Makes sense
(01-01-2018, 07:06 PM)HAYDENTREE77 Wrote:
Correct. That was the first part of what I was asking - which would be laundering - but as I was writing it occurred to me that the likely hood of that may not be feasible and alluded to going to PF to fill in the gaps with ACE credits and ultimately transfer to TESU. I'm still not sure they will even take ACE credits from PF. It may be best to just start over from scratch. Not in love with that idea as my job is pretty exhausting. No pain no gain.

Yes, they will take ACE credits from PF.  Your best bet is to always check ACE before taking courses, as PF has both ACE-approved courses, and ones that aren't.

Also, I'm still not seeing how a PF AA will help you ultimately get the TESU BA.  If only some of the credits can be used, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I would instead consider a school that will take your NA credits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 789 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 590 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 429 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,102 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Arts Institute is no longer... And they all bite the dust... bjcheung77 1 360 10-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Christian Leaders Institute… Vle045 17 3,996 09-30-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Travis_CVUgrad
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 830 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,099 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,978 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,321 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123