Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article about DegreeForum journey
Just saw this. Nice article!  Kudos to the member who wrote this! Sounds great that this forum is making an impact on people's lives!

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/i-got-a-...ou-can-too
[-] The following 3 users Like smartdegree's post:
  • hsfamfun, Kal Di, rachel83az
It's great info, but it's amazing how quickly information becomes outdated in this sector. They graduated in December 2020, which was barely 2 years ago. Since then, COSC is no longer "good" and Sophia now "wins", compared to SL. (IIRC, it used to be: Sophia for 2 free credits, SL and SDC were about even as far as likes/credit availability, and CLEP/DSST were heavily recommended. If you really had to, you'd pay $320 for 1 or 2 Sophia courses, but most of them could be found elsewhere for cheaper.)
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(01-16-2023, 06:50 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's great info, but it's amazing how quickly information becomes outdated in this sector. They graduated in December 2020, which was barely 2 years ago. Since then, COSC is no longer "good" and Sophia now "wins", compared to SL. (IIRC, it used to be: Sophia for 2 free credits, SL and SDC were about even as far as likes/credit availability, and CLEP/DSST were heavily recommended. If you really had to, you'd pay $320 for 1 or 2 Sophia courses, but most of them could be found elsewhere for cheaper.)

Ha, so true, I paid the $300 for the Sophia PM course 'back in the day' TESU took it as UL then (it was worth the cost at the time). And quite a few SL courses as well used to come in as UL; not sure if SL's ACC150 still comes in as ACC303 (that was the last UL holdout)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • rachel83az
(01-16-2023, 01:31 PM)allvia Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 06:50 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's great info, but it's amazing how quickly information becomes outdated in this sector. They graduated in December 2020, which was barely 2 years ago. Since then, COSC is no longer "good" and Sophia now "wins", compared to SL. (IIRC, it used to be: Sophia for 2 free credits, SL and SDC were about even as far as likes/credit availability, and CLEP/DSST were heavily recommended. If you really had to, you'd pay $320 for 1 or 2 Sophia courses, but most of them could be found elsewhere for cheaper.)

Ha, so true, I paid the $300 for the Sophia PM course 'back in the day' TESU took it as UL then (it was worth the cost at the time). And quite a few SL courses as well used to come in as UL; not sure if SL's ACC150 still comes in as ACC303 (that was the last UL holdout)

As I recall, at that time Sophia would frequently run deals where you could get 3 courses for $300. At that time, Sophia had far fewer courses than they have now.

There was also a deal where you got a deep discount on TESU courses if you signed up for Study.com making Study.com free if you only did a few credits with them.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Indeed. It's wild how fast they change indeed. I was looking at Olivet Nazerene U for their $50 course...nope, they change that to like $250ish per credit if I remember. Now TEL seems like the like a better alternative but that literally might change tomorrow. Great to see options emerge but it sure is a wild ride. Great that this forum exists....truly a great community.
Thank you so so much! That's my article you're mentioning. I used this forum under the last name Loehrer before I got married so that may have looked unfamiliar. I have so much gratitude for this forum! I can never thank everyone enough for all the valuable information and hard work that goes into keeping this community alive. Yes, it's so true that information gets outdated so quickly. My story was discovered about 1.5 years after I graduated (getting an article approved for a major publication can take some time) and things have changed rapidly since then. Even my husband just got his Bachelor's from UMPI this month because of how the preferred colleges can change on a dime.
TESU BSBA GM • Graduated December 2020 (Myself)

UMPI BABA PM & IS • May 2023 Graduation Goal (Fiancé)
[-] The following 5 users Like karaloehrer's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle, rachel83az, smartdegree, ztkerls
@karaloehrer, congrats on finishing and helping the hubby get done as well! That's great you and the hubby have completed your undergrad goals! You're correct, so many things can change in a matter of time... regulations/rules are changing and the acceptance of alternative credit will change as more players either get into alternative credit or these providers close...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Just got an email a few minutes ago, you're also on StraighterLine's article here: https://www.straighterline.com/blog/onli...-a-degree/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
I have to say I'm not wild about saying we're "hacking" degrees. Makes it sound like we're cheating and not actually earning them.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • ss20ts
(02-18-2023, 01:56 PM)davewill Wrote: I have to say I'm not wild about saying we're "hacking" degrees. Makes it sound like we're cheating and not actually earning them.

The term hacking definitely has a negative connotation to it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Graduation Rate for DegreeForum Members? LevelUP 9 1,086 06-14-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Some major "I'm done" kudos to degreeforum peeps studyingfortests 7 1,251 01-01-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey? Idreamofadegree 23 4,832 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
Information The DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, and more! jsd 0 90,632 02-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Journey Thread -- BS Cybersecurity quigongene 106 25,401 01-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Another article about transfer problems davewill 11 2,020 11-26-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  My Journey from Dead End Job to Success passit1 251 25,768 08-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  My WGU BS in Accounting Journey! airricklee 10 6,641 04-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: airricklee
  Thank you, Shotojuku, for TEN years leading DegreeForum! sgloer 16 2,478 12-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  What is the best advice you would give to someone starting this captivating journey? Kev 5 1,883 10-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: KayV