Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attempting CLEP (No experience)
I was planning on taking CLEP to graduate. I have no credited units whatsoever. Do I need the study guide and or books for each subject? It's kind of expensive at $85 each. Is the exam hard? How do I know which exams I should to take to graduate from a university, Excelsior for example. Any other details, suggestion, and tips are quite welcome. Thank you in advance.
CLEP exams are free through Modern States. The $85 gets taken down to zero with the voucher. Then you still have to pay the test center fee, but after you pass the exam, you can get a reimbursement check for the test center fee. The check takes up to about 2 months.

Also, Modern States' questions will give you a good idea of the difficulty of the questions. You don't need the study guide, but it's a good idea to do other studying besides Modern States.

They vary a lot in difficulty.

You would make a degree plan, or get one made for you. Dfrecore makes a lot of TESU degree plans for forum members.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, slmartin
(02-12-2018, 05:23 AM)Ideas Wrote: CLEP exams are free through Modern States. The $85 gets taken down to zero with the voucher. Then you still have to pay the test center fee, but after you pass the exam, you can get a reimbursement check for the test center fee. The check takes up to about 2 months.

Also, Modern States' questions will give you a good idea of the difficulty of the questions. You don't need the study guide, but it's a good idea to do other studying besides Modern States.

They vary a lot in difficulty.

You would make a degree plan, or get one made for you. Dfrecore makes a lot of TESU degree plans for forum members.

I'm not familiar with TESU. Can you please elaborate? I forgot to mention I'm not in or from the US, I'm from Philippines. I plan on transferring my units to Excelsior since I can get a degree with Excelsior with just CLEP. Philippines only has one test center. Is there any other way I can get a degree plan?
You can not get a degree at Excelsior (or anywhere) with "just" CLEP. You can use a lot of CLEP and similar sources of credit together to compile a degree, but CLEP alone won't do it. And you'll have to do the capstone at the school you transfer to.

TESU (Thomas Edison State College) is another school like Excelsior that let's you do this, as is COSC (Charter Oak State College).

You might want to hang around the forum some more reading through posts to get an understanding of how it testing out works.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, slmartin
(02-12-2018, 09:05 AM)jsd Wrote: You can not get a degree at Excelsior (or anywhere) with "just" CLEP. You can use a lot of CLEP and similar sources of credit together to compile a degree, but CLEP alone won't do it. And you'll have to do the capstone at the school you transfer to.

TESU (Thomas Edison State College) is another school like Excelsior that let's you do this, as is COSC (Charter Oak State College).

You might want to hang around the forum some more reading through posts to get an understanding of how it testing out works.

I read somewhere that you can graduate with just CLEP with Excelsior, I think it was on DIY degree something. It says that you can transfer 120 units. I’m really learning a lot from this forum. If I can’t graduate with just CLEP how can I take advantage pf CLEP? How many units can I transfer with just CLEP?
The most you can transfer into Excelsior is 117 credit hours. They require that you take a capstone course worth 3 credit hours from them to graduate. And Excelsior requires 30 upper level credits, I don' think there are many CLEPs at the upper level.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

You would need to figure out which degree you want to get from Excelsior. Based on that, use the following as a starter guide

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...BLeZUXXjO_

Also, most US based college degrees require English Composition 1&2. There is a CLEP exam that covers both, but Excelsior doesn't accept it for credit.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(02-12-2018, 09:43 PM)quigongene Wrote: You would need to figure out which degree you want to get from Excelsior.  Based on that, use the following as a starter guide

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...BLeZUXXjO_

Also, most US based college degrees require English Composition 1&2.  There is a CLEP exam that covers both, but Excelsior doesn't accept it for credit.

Based on what I read here https://www.excelsior.edu/programs/busin...lor-degree (BS Logistics Management),
I need to take these CLEP exams(Please correct me if I'm wrong):

Arts and Science components:
Humanities                                           6
Social Sciences & History                      6
Principles of Microeconomics                3
Principles of Macroeconomics               3
Natural Science                                    6
Precalculus                                          3
                                                Total: 27

Business Component:
Financial Accounting                             3
Introduction to Business law                 3
Principles of Management                     3
Principles of Marketing                          3
Info Systems/Computer Applications    3
                                                Total: 15

Can I finish the rest with online courses/exam on Excelsior?
[-] The following 1 user Likes makemeraf's post:
  • yayaIknow99
Excelsior charges a lot per course, so you only want to take the Capstone through them.

You may be able to do a lot more at Study.com. One international person said they could not do Study.com because their international credit card was not accepted by them, and they had no other way to pay. But Study.com is a great way to get many credits. You are proctored through a webcam. You can get many others through webcam proctoring. So it's going to depend on what providers you want to use for credits.

TECEP, Straighterline, Davar, Saylor, and Shmoop are some of the cheapest and quickest that are recommended.

DIY Degree is crap, you want to avoid that. Outdated info to say the least. They also don't know anything about COSC or TESU, which for many degrees is a better choice than Excelsior.

I would say do a lot more research here, you can find all kinds of inexpensive and even free ways to get some credits, and then ways to avoid paying the high cost of EC courses ($1500/each).

And there are ZERO UL credits available through CLEP.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Joeman200

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone with experience/knowledge on army medic to civilian LVN pathway? studyingfortests 4 431 12-16-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capella - Virginia LPC Experience Rweber 0 309 09-26-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Rweber
  Life Experience degree from the Mexican Government itself elcastor21 6 609 09-13-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 508 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,849 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,319 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMass Global / Brandman myPath Application and Transfer Experience? origamishuttle 8 2,040 01-27-2022, 05:47 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,644 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,276 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007