Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Biz HR and maybe…psych? Planning help
TESU has extra accreditation for the BsBA. Also EC has accreditation. UMPI has no business accreditation as far as I know, only RA.
This should help in your future plans and to get into an MBA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kab's post:
  • Slammyelis
(05-12-2022, 11:57 PM)Kab Wrote: TESU has extra accreditation for the BsBA. Also EC has accreditation. UMPI  has no business accreditation as far as I know, only RA.

Depending on MBA plans the business program accreditation doesn't matter. I'm in an MBA program and had no problem getting into it. I'm not worrying about the business program accreditations because I'm not looking to teach. Many companies don't care about them. When one has years of work experience those things are also meaningless unless you want to become a professor.

(05-12-2022, 11:04 PM)Slammyelis Wrote: This is super helpful and timely. I was just re-evaluating my goals and what's available based on what I'm reading on this forum. I am leaning towards where you got to -- the business degree in order to be able to choose to pursue an MBA as I edge my way into upper management. If executive is where I'd wanna end up...the MBA is a no brainer! (Also the D grades at TESU thing is interesting but gets me really nowhere I'd need to be anyway, and it's maybe 6 credits so not worth TESU just for that.)

And for an MBA, I'd need the BABA vs the BLS - Mgmt because the BA is IN business with a major in management whereas the BLS is IN liberal studies with management concentration, right? (Forgive me; when I went to school in the States I never once looked into liberal studies degrees or maybe even heard of them (not sure my school/s had them?) -- I was supposed to go into medicine. HA!) Also I just went to look at the courses required and I think that validates this statement. Smile

Working on my spreadsheet for UMPI!! To be continued...

I applied to an MBA program with my BLS from UMPI and was accepted no problem. WGU accepts students into their MBA program who don't have a bachelor's in business. So does Amberton. MBA isn't the only degree to consider. A master's in management & leadership is another option. UMPI has an MAOL and WGU has an MSML. Lots of options once you have a bachelor's degree. I have friends who have bachelor's in IT, CS, and a variety of humanities who earned an MBA.
(05-13-2022, 03:38 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 11:57 PM)Kab Wrote: TESU has extra accreditation for the BsBA. Also EC has accreditation. UMPI  has no business accreditation as far as I know, only RA.

Depending on MBA plans the business program accreditation doesn't matter. I'm in an MBA program and had no problem getting into it. I'm not worrying about the business program accreditations because I'm not looking to teach. Many companies don't care about them. When one has years of work experience those things are also meaningless unless you want to become a professor.

(05-12-2022, 11:04 PM)Slammyelis Wrote: This is super helpful and timely. I was just re-evaluating my goals and what's available based on what I'm reading on this forum. I am leaning towards where you got to -- the business degree in order to be able to choose to pursue an MBA as I edge my way into upper management. If executive is where I'd wanna end up...the MBA is a no brainer! (Also the D grades at TESU thing is interesting but gets me really nowhere I'd need to be anyway, and it's maybe 6 credits so not worth TESU just for that.)

And for an MBA, I'd need the BABA vs the BLS - Mgmt because the BA is IN business with a major in management whereas the BLS is IN liberal studies with management concentration, right? (Forgive me; when I went to school in the States I never once looked into liberal studies degrees or maybe even heard of them (not sure my school/s had them?) -- I was supposed to go into medicine. HA!) Also I just went to look at the courses required and I think that validates this statement. Smile

Working on my spreadsheet for UMPI!! To be continued...

I applied to an MBA program with my BLS from UMPI and was accepted no problem. WGU accepts students into their MBA program who don't have a bachelor's in business. So does Amberton. MBA isn't the only degree to consider. A master's in management & leadership is another option. UMPI has an MAOL and WGU has an MSML. Lots of options once you have a bachelor's degree. I have friends who have bachelor's in IT, CS, and a variety of humanities who earned an MBA.

I, too, am not looking to teach! Haha. Thank you! I found your UMPI BLS degree plan. I think what I like most is the flexibility that it appears to have (I think I saw 30+ credits of "whatever you want")...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slammyelis's post:
  • ss20ts

TESU's business program has the ACBSP accreditation - 2nd tier (AACSB is the highest and best).  EC's business program has IACBE, which I've never seen anyone mention - it is practically worthless.  I'd put it on par with UMPI's business program accreditation, which is zero.

The main things I ever see are AACSB MBA programs, which may require an AACSB business degree, or will take an ACBSP business degree and then add 1-3 courses you need to take first; these are VERY competitive programs, and you can't get in without a bachelor's in business.  Then, there's the AACSB MBA programs that want an AACSB or ACBSP business degree, or else will make you take 1-3 courses to get in.  But the vast majority of MBA programs will take any type of bachelor's degree, but if you don't have a business degree you'll have pre-reqs to get in (like Stats, Accounting, Finance, etc.).

So for most people, get whatever degree you want, and then get into the MBA program that will accept you.  Accreditation is not important for 99% of people.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
Hi all!

Reviving this thread as I’m several months into my first job in the tech industry and facing the usual barrier to “proving my knowledge” without a degree. I didn’t end up starting anything because I got this job, but it’s more of the same and I’m being overlooked for other positions I know I’d be getting if I had the piece of paper.

So, I’m refining my plan. I want to do a BLS at UMPI and am working on deciding the minor(s), with the end goal likely being their MAOL. I’m focused on leadership and management of people, so I’m thinking the management minor. I am flip flopping on whether I want to try the MIS too…and/or PM.

In the meantime, these are the courses I have and I’m wondering where they would transfer into UMPI’s GEC so I can streamline what I work on at Sophia. I keep getting tripped up on duplicating into different required areas and the minimum 40 credits guideline… Appreciate your thoughts!

Intro sociology - 3
American govt - 3
Spanish I - 3
Engl 1101 - 3
Engl 1102 - 3
Intro to computing (we learned C++) - 3
Appreciation of dramatic art - 3
Analytical geometry & calc w/ diff calc lab - 4
Linguistics study of language - 3
Comm human soc (speech comm 1010) - 3
Logic & critical thinking - 3
If you're in tech the MIS or PM minor would be right up your alley.

Where are the classes you've listed above from?
(10-15-2022, 03:14 PM)I ss20ts Wrote: If you're in tech the MIS or PM minor would be right up your alley.

Where are the classes you've listed above from?

Oops! All are RA credits (comm college in GA and UGA). 1998-2000 ish.

ETA: Also I work in tech, yes — though I’m in people management and customer experience. I absolutely think courses in data analytics and PM would be valuable, but I don’t think they’re as easy/interesting for me to do quickly which is why I’m flip flopping on adding them.
I would recommend taking your time to create a spreadsheet and use it for reference/tracking purposes of courses.  I'll link you to the UMPI wiki and plans below so you can compile something for yourself.  For an example spreadsheet, review post #4, actually, I'll just link you: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid366340

UMPI Wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle
UMPI Plans: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I should have been clearer -- I am using your spreadsheet and the BLS Mgmt from the wiki to build my plan.

I don't know about these specifically, and am looking for insight:

Would my Logic & Critical Thinking transfer in and cover 2A and 2B? Or does it not matter because I'll need Ethics for 4C anyway?

Would my Intro to Sociology cover 2D? or just 5A?

Would Apprec of Dramatic Art cover 2E?

Would Analytical Geo w/ Calc & lab work for 3A & 3B? (And come in as 3 or 4 credits, if so?)

Can anyone see where my communications class, linguistics or intro to computing might transfer into either the degree requirements or GEC? Looks like I'll need Ethics for 4C and 5D because I'll be at 37 credits if the ones I've mentioned above transfer in to where I want them, anyway.

So depending on what y'all think, my thoughts are to start at Sophia and do:

- Intro to Ethics
- Environmental Science
- US History II
- Business Law
- Project Mgmt (?? Only if I don't do the PM or MIS minors, right?)
- Comm @ work (?? looks like it fulfills the GEC I was hoping to use my other comm class for but I'm guessing that one won't work for the mgmt minor)

Is adding another minor do-able from the UMPI list of minors, as long as they're transferred in? Or what are the parameters? I've seen it discussed (including earlier in this thread, getting permission for a psych minor using alt credits)...
(10-15-2022, 02:55 PM)Slammyelis Wrote: Intro sociology - 3 - 2B, 5A
American govt - 3 - 1C, 5E
Spanish I - 3 - 5C
Engl 1101 - 3 - 1A, 1D
Engl 1102 - 3 - 1B, 2C, 4B
Intro to computing (we learned C++) - 3 - FREE ELECTIVE
Appreciation of dramatic art - 3 - 2E
Analytical geometry & calc w/ diff calc lab - 4 - 3A, 3B
Linguistics study of language - 3 - FREE ELECTIVE
Comm human soc (speech comm 1010) - 3 - 1C
Logic & critical thinking - 3 - 2A

Here's where you figure out where things fit: http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?cato...curriculum
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 21 238 8 minutes ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 260 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 17 1,020 03-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Big Grin Degree Planning - Longtime listener, first time caller Wiser Indigenous 10 851 03-17-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Big Grin Degree Planning Advice - Pierpont to UMPI or WGU ElBert 11 547 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
  Bobsleigh - Degree Planning Advice - Help Please Bobsleigh 44 3,039 03-01-2024, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Bobsleigh
  Route Planning KagomeH 3 238 02-28-2024, 08:04 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Advice Needed - Degree Planning - Help Please Caecal07 5 354 02-23-2024, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Caecal07
  Degree Planning Suggestions - Lets Try Again pmsull 27 1,496 02-23-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: pmsull