Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Computer Science TESU
(01-23-2022, 05:32 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 04:45 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Exactly. Good point. Time is money. Also value has a different meaning to everyone. Just because you can get a tesu degree for less than FIU or any other doesn’t mean FIU Or any other isn’t a value. Different strokes for different folks. If Total cost was  The only factor in determining what and where , then everyone would be going to tesu for comp sci. Lol. All I was doing was stating a fairly cheap option for Florida residents with the benefit of no calc. 
Personally To me $14k from FIU is a better value than $11k or whatever was stated for SNHU. 
It may be a better value to some than $8k Tesu. That’s fine.

FIU I don't see any course equivalent mapping for Sophia or Study.com.  That may be an issue for people that want to go there.

Btw Pats20, did you start the Calculus course yet, and where are you taking it?
Well I’m currently piecing it together through a variety of ways. 
I’ve registered for asu brief but I can’t stand gradius. Also half way thru asu pre calc for prep work.  I’m using saylor , Kahn academy , I’ve taken all quizzes at sdc. And paused my acct till I’m ready to take final. I’m now watching prof Leonard on YouTube. I figure I have 3 attempts with sdc , 3 with saylor. And one with asu If I can get past the gradius platform. I will keep Straighterline in my back pocket. Your thoughts on Straighterline? Or my strategy I would appreciate. Thanks
(01-22-2022, 11:56 PM)jsd Wrote: All of this talk makes me kind of want a CS degree. But relearning a bunch of math sounds like torture.

I've actually been considering WGU for the CS degree. I'd be able to transfer in the absolute max and finish in a term if I applied myself, but I feel like I'd be spreading my skills too widely whereas I'd really like to focus on honing my current skills and applying them to cybersecurity.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(01-23-2022, 06:01 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Your thoughts on Straighterline? Or my strategy I would appreciate. Thanks

SL lets you use the Nspire CAS calculator for Calculus. That saved my azz. You can retake the first exam an unlimited amount of times, and for all other exams except the final, you can retake 3 times. It gets much easier once you make it past the midterm, and the final only covers the 2nd half of the course.

Those people who can do calculus on Saylor, SDC, or even as a CLEP, more power to them however it would have probably been 2-4x times the effort for me to pass that way.

I kept track of all my hours of all my courses. Although Calculus is the one course, I'm not sure exactly how many hours I put into it. Probably around 40-60 hours.

Someone can get through SL Calculus in a 2-4wks if they are laser-focused on passing and have an optimal study plan. Most of the stuff you can punch into the calculator though you run into problems when there are a bunch of graphs or word questions. If you do fail, you can retake the course.

As far as your strategy, I don't know because I never came up with a plan that would work for SDC or CLEP.  I know watching videos doesn't do me any good if I don't immediately have some example problems is do after the video.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Arto
I may have to throw SL into my quiver. To be clear. You can take all exams an unlimited amount of times and the final 3 times correct ? Then If you still fail you can retake the course. Do you have to jump through hoops to open up exams ? Or can you go straight to each exam when you’re ready ?
(01-23-2022, 06:38 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I may have to throw SL into my quiver. To be clear. You can take all exams an unlimited amount of times and the final 3 times correct ?  Then If you still fail you can retake the course. Do you have to jump through hoops to open up exams ? Or can you go straight to each exam when you’re ready ?

You have to schedule the final exam (ProctorU). You can take the other exams when you're ready, but it would require an active membership.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(01-23-2022, 08:50 PM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 06:38 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I may have to throw SL into my quiver. To be clear. You can take all exams an unlimited amount of times and the final 3 times correct ?  Then If you still fail you can retake the course. Do you have to jump through hoops to open up exams ? Or can you go straight to each exam when you’re ready ?

You have to schedule the final exam (ProctorU). You can take the other exams when you're ready, but it would require an active membership.
Good deal. Thanks I will look into this. I
So guys what’s the consensus ?
Linear algebra from coppersmith
Network tech CMP 354 tecep
Software engineering CIS 351 tesu

For upper level cs fulfillment?
Linear Algebra is hit or miss whether they'll actually accept it.
CMP-354 is ridiculously difficult to study for. Few people are able to pass it on the first try, AFAIK.
From what I've heard of CIS-351, it's super easy and should be no trouble to pass.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-13-2022, 12:41 PM)Pats20 Wrote: So guys what’s the consensus ?
Linear algebra from coppersmith
Network tech CMP 354 tecep
Software engineering CIS 351 tesu

For upper level cs fulfillment?

So I take it that you got through Calculus.

Software Engineering is best for sure if you are doing a flat-rate term. I did that course in like 20 hours. There are no exams and no books to read.

Network Tech your chances to pass is about 50%-66%.  It takes around 40 hours to study for that exam. 

Linear algebra I thought I remembered they don't take this course anymore. I would do Network tech over Linear algebra anyhow.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I was glancing at this thread and I saw WGU mentioned. TESU might be the better option if math slows you down. It looks like the final math challenge at TESU can be transferred in via (Straighterline Calculus 1). For WGU's Comp Sci program, you will still have to face Discrete Math II. There is, as far as I know, no way to transfer this in. WGU has a few courses, including the capstone obviously, that cannot be transferred in.

As always, the difficulty level is subjective and personal. However, it is not uncommon to see people stuck on Discrete Math II as their goal for accelerating in one term vanishes. Other people get through it in less than a month. Even people who glided through Study.com's Discrete Math are a bit surprised at the jump in difficulty for WGU's Discrete Math II. Something to keep in mind during degree planning and selection.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 73 Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 67 Yesterday, 11:36 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 120 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 251 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 204 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 308 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 414 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  BS in Computer Science Clmouss 5 293 04-01-2024, 12:36 AM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 481 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 1,048 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre