Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Computer Science TESU
60 credits @ $345 is $20k. Florida residents still pay $14k. Even at its most expensive, TESU should be around half that.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-22-2022, 03:54 PM)Pats20 Wrote: This may have been mentioned before But This may be an option for some looking for a computer science degree. Unless I’m missing something It appears you could knock out half the degree through alt credit, clep, ect. That would knock out 60 credits.  The other 60 would be core. Florida residents $229 credit. $345 for non resident.
Maybe not so terrible since tesu now requires 30 Ra anyway.
https://fiuonline.fiu.edu/programs/onlin...cience.php

Oh yea. And no calculus !!

That's a pretty expensive degree.  You'd be better off at TESU even if you had to find a few outside credits to bring in.

If you want an online degree from a less expensive school, you could do WGU for about $4000/6mo term, or FHSU for $227/cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
With the 30 ra credit requirement I doubt many people are getting a computer science degree for $7k from tesu. Or anywhere else. The corner /cap and residency waiver alone is going to cost about $7k. What about the other 24 credits (8 courses ). Doesn’t seem to be a bad deal for Florida residents.
Take 16 credits at TESU with the flat-rate (capstone, cornerstone, and then you can do epacks or easy courses). That's $4639. 5 courses from TEL or ONU are about $1k. InstantCert for about $50, Sophia for $300 (probably less). Even if you still have 20 courses left at SDC (it should be 10-15, but I haven't counted lately), that's about $2k.

$4639 + $1000 + $50 + $300 + $2000 = $8000.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(01-22-2022, 04:26 PM)Pats20 Wrote: With the 30 ra credit requirement I doubt many people are getting a computer science degree for $7k from tesu. Or anywhere else. The corner /cap and residency waiver alone is going to cost about $7k. What about the other 24 credits (8 courses ). Doesn’t seem to be a bad deal for Florida residents.

I'm guessing that you're wrong.  The 30cr of RA includes 6cr of the cornerstone and capstone at TESU, so then you only need 24cr RA.  Between ONU, TEL, TECEP exams, UExcel exams - not to mention the number of people who have SOME RA credits already on the books - you're looking at less than $1000 for the RA credits.  It's a very low bar.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ah yes. A perfect world. A 16 credit term with capstone for a working adult Should be fun. 20 courses from Sophia at $300 ($79 per month = 4 months. With most requiring touchstones now. Wow that’s over one per week . ). 10-15 courses from sdc @ $200x10 months. Ah good luck with computer architecture and calculus.

Some can do this. But I’d suspect most working folks would be very stressed.

(01-22-2022, 04:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 04:26 PM)Pats20 Wrote: With the 30 ra credit requirement I doubt many people are getting a computer science degree for $7k from tesu. Or anywhere else. The corner /cap and residency waiver alone is going to cost about $7k. What about the other 24 credits (8 courses ). Doesn’t seem to be a bad deal for Florida residents.

I'm guessing that you're wrong.  The 30cr of RA includes 6cr of the cornerstone and capstone at TESU, so then you only need 24cr RA.  Between ONU, TEL, TECEP exams, UExcel exams - not to mention the number of people who have SOME RA credits already on the books - you're looking at less than $1000 for the RA credits.  It's a very low bar.
Sure but the ra credits already on the books cost something right ? 
$8k Total cost for computer science probably isn’t happening for most folks the way it’s set up now.
16 credits in a single term is perfectly doable, even as a working adult, if you choose your courses carefully.

The cornerstone can be mostly finished in a day or so. ePacks are just a single exam, of which CIS-107 requires little (if any) study. For CS in particular, Software Engineering is reported to be quite easy for an UL class and can be fully finished within about a week. PLA-100 takes a few hours to finish. That leaves the capstone & whatever other course you choose.

Basically, put your nose to the grindstone for 1 or 2 weekends, then spend the rest of the term making forum posts for the cornerstone and writing your capstone paper because you've already finished the other courses. If needed, pay for an extension for your capstone. It still works out to be cheaper than paying for the residency waiver.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Arto
TESU is a very good option, if someone has tuition assistance/reimbursement there are countless options, some people may want to go for their own state college or university as their computer science is nationally ranked or they are willing to fork out cash for a more recognized institution in their state. If a student gets a scholarship at FIU for example, their program can potentially be cheaper... Anyways, I would recommend going for a degree that suits your budget, goals, needs, etc. I usually look at the courses and the subjects taught, if something doesn't interest me as much, even if it was free, I wouldn't take it...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-22-2022, 06:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TESU is a very good option, if someone has tuition assistance/reimbursement there are countless options, some people may want to go for their own state college or university as their computer science is nationally ranked or they are willing to fork out cash for a more recognized institution in their state.  If a student gets a scholarship at FIU for example, their program can potentially be cheaper...  Anyways, I would recommend going for a degree that suits your budget, goals, needs, etc.  I usually look at the courses and the subjects taught, if something doesn't interest me as much, even if it was free, I wouldn't take it...

Perfectly said. Plus where would you rather go for graduation South beach or Kansas ?  Big Grin   Just kidding
Cost Comparision of Computer Science Degrees

WGU Computer Science Degree
$ 158 Sophia (2 months)
$1120 Study.com (16 courses @70 course)
$ 130 SL for Calculus course (standard discount)
$3625 WGU tuition (you got 6 months to complete 8 courses + capstone)
$5043 Total

TESU Computer Science Degree
$ 237 Sophia (3 months)
$  50 IC (1 course)
$ 700 Study.com (10 courses @70 each)
$ 130 SL for Calculus course (standard discount)
$1000 RA  (5 courses RA 15 credit estimate)
$4639 flat rate tuition
$  298 graduation fee
$7054 Total

SNHU Computer Science Degree
$ 158 Sophia (2 months)
$ 120 AP exam + proctor fee
$ 560 Study.com (8 courses @70 course)
$ 130 SL for Calculus course (standard discount)
$9600 Tuition for 10 courses
$10598 Total

If you do the TESU flat-rate tuition, you're looking at around 15hrs a week's worth of work, give or take 5 hours.  

If life issues happen, you can ask for an extension on TESU courses, so this takes some of the risk out.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 375 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 856 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 630 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 170 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,332 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 2 192 03-03-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 360 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 391 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,254 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16