Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Computer Science TESU
(01-22-2022, 07:01 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Cost Comparision of Computer Science Degrees

WGU Computer Science Degree
$ 158 Sophia (2 months)
$1120 Study.com (16 courses @70 course)
$ 130 SL for Calculus course (standard discount)
$3625 WGU tuition (you got 6 months to complete 8 courses + capstone)
$5043 Total

TESU Computer Science Degree
$ 237 Sophia (3 months)
$  50 IC (1 course)
$ 700 Study.com (10 courses @70 each)
$ 130 SL for Calculus course (standard discount)
$1000 RA  (5 courses RA 15 credit estimate)
$4639 flat rate tuition
$6756 Total

SNHU Computer Science Degree
$ 158 Sophia (2 months)
$ 120 AP exam + proctor fee
$ 560 Study.com (8 courses @70 course)
$ 130 SL for Calculus course (standard discount)
$9600 Tuition for 10 courses
$10598 Total

If you do the TESU flat-rate tuition, you're looking at around 15hrs a week's worth of work, give or take 5 hours.  

If life issues happen, you can ask for an extension on TESU courses, so this takes some of the risk out.
Nice. 
I’m curious. You’ve earned a bacs from tesu. How long Did it take you  and much did It cost ? 10 courses on sdc in 2 1/2 months (1 per week ) and calc 1 in a month ?  
You’re waaay outta my league. 

Maybe I should’ve went for a different major cause I’m feeling pretty dumb. Lol. Hopefully it’s just that I work 50 hours a week and have a family. That said I still spend 15-20 hours per week on this stuff.
(01-22-2022, 05:00 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Ah yes. A perfect world. A 16 credit term with capstone for a working adult Should be fun. 20 courses from Sophia at $300  ($79 per month = 4 months. With most requiring touchstones now. Wow that’s over one per week . ). 10-15 courses from sdc @ $200x10 months. Ah good luck with computer architecture and calculus.

Some can do this. But I’d suspect most working folks would be very stressed.

(01-22-2022, 04:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 04:26 PM)Pats20 Wrote: With the 30 ra credit requirement I doubt many people are getting a computer science degree for $7k from tesu. Or anywhere else. The corner /cap and residency waiver alone is going to cost about $7k. What about the other 24 credits (8 courses ). Doesn’t seem to be a bad deal for Florida residents.

I'm guessing that you're wrong.  The 30cr of RA includes 6cr of the cornerstone and capstone at TESU, so then you only need 24cr RA.  Between ONU, TEL, TECEP exams, UExcel exams - not to mention the number of people who have SOME RA credits already on the books - you're looking at less than $1000 for the RA credits.  It's a very low bar.
Sure but the ra credits already on the books cost something right ? 
$8k Total cost for computer science probably isn’t happening for most folks the way it’s set up now.

Sunk cost - you don't count what you've already paid for credits, you count what it costs to finish a degree.

Plus, many people have inexpensive credit.  Many CA CC's are free now.  Here in SC there are tons of ways to get free CC (I'm taking a free term myself right now).  Lots of people can get free Dual Enrollment credit while in high school.  South Texas College is free and then some this year.

My daughter will have 60cr soon, and she did not pay for a single one.  Between CA CC (free), SC CC (free), South Texas College (free) and Purdue Global (tuition assistance paid 100% through work), she hasn't paid a dime.
---------------------------------
I can tell you dozens of people on this forum who have probably paid less than $8k for a TESU BACS degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Why not ? It doesn’t matter if you’ve paid for credits 10 years ago or 10 weeks ago. You still paid for them. If I pay $10k for 90 credits 10 years ago and finish my last 30 for $5k. I still paid $15k for my degree not $5k.

Yes there are dozens of people on this forum who have bacs for less than $8k. I didn’t say there wasn’t. What I said was the way the “system is set up now with tesu” 30 credits ra. $525 credit hour instead of $399. Cap and corner Both required. Residency waiver $3200 instead of $2800.  No more coopersmith linear algebra cheap ul credit. It’s much more difficult.

I mean really. Unless you take a 16 credit term you’ve got almost $7k in the corner / cap and residency waiver. Do the math.
(01-22-2022, 10:09 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Why not ? It doesn’t matter if you’ve paid for credits 10 years ago or 10 weeks ago. You still paid for them.

And if you already have those credits, you've paid that cost no matter where you finish the degree. it's irrelevant. 

As far as the 16cr/term, that can be done pretty easily at TESU with just a couple busy weekends and then one "normal" load of work for the full term for the capstone as rachel83az already illustrated.

Ultimately WGU is probably the better option (and hopefully someday in the not too distant future UMPI), but TESU still seems perfectly reasonable and compartatively cheap.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-22-2022, 11:19 PM)jsd Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 10:09 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Why not ? It doesn’t matter if you’ve paid for credits 10 years ago or 10 weeks ago. You still paid for them.

And if you already have those credits, you've paid that cost no matter where you finish the degree. it's irrelevant. 

As far as the 16cr/term, that can be done pretty easily at TESU with just a couple busy weekends and then one "normal" load of work for the full term for the capstone as rachel83az already illustrated.

Ultimately WGU is probably the better option (and hopefully someday in the not too distant future UMPI), but TESU still seems perfectly reasonable and compartatively cheap.
You’re absolutely right. Tesu is still cheap , convenient , and the go to place for alt credit  bacs. It’s just not quite as cheap as it used to be or as convenient. But then again what is. Lol.
(01-22-2022, 05:00 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Ah good luck with computer architecture and calculus.

I still got PTSD from the Computer Architecture and Calculus courses, lol.

I didn't breeze through those courses.  I started Calculus, then took a break and put it off for a long time.  Just recently finished up Calculus shortly after the New Year.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
All of this talk makes me kind of want a CS degree. But relearning a bunch of math sounds like torture.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-22-2022, 11:47 PM)LLevelUP Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 05:00 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Ah good luck with computer architecture and calculus.

I still got PTSD from the Computer Architecture and Calculus courses, lol.

I didn't breeze through those courses.  I started Calculus, then took a break and put it off for a long time.  Just recently finished up Calculus shortly after the New Year.

What source did you do calc through ? What were your thoughts ?
(01-22-2022, 10:09 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Why not ? It doesn’t matter if you’ve paid for credits 10 years ago or 10 weeks ago. You still paid for them. If I pay $10k for 90 credits 10 years ago and finish my last 30 for $5k. I still paid $15k for my degree not $5k.

Yes there are dozens of people on this forum who have bacs for less than $8k. I didn’t say there wasn’t. What I said was the way the “system is set up now with tesu” 30 credits ra. $525 credit hour instead of $399. Cap and corner Both required. Residency waiver $3200 instead of $2800.  No more coopersmith linear algebra cheap ul credit. It’s much more difficult.

I mean really. Unless you take a 16 credit term you’ve got almost $7k in the corner / cap and residency waiver. Do the math.

It doesn't matter because it's a sunk cost - you paid for those credits whether you do anything with them or not.  I did not say that you don't count them on the overall cost of a degree later if you want - but if you don't get a degree at all, you still paid whatever you did for those credits, and that money is gone.  The correct way to compute a degree at THIS POINT IN TIME though is to figure out how much it will cost going forward to get your degree.  If you choose school A that will cost $5000 or you choose School B that will cost $10k, that's what's left.  The dollars you put into the credits you already have are the same amount no matter which school you choose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The system at TESU is set up to need 30cr RA.  Many people have that.  The ones that don't can go get 24cr at ONU or take TECEP's for $900.  That is not some insane amount of money.  It's $50/cr.  It's less than $1000.

The remaining credits can be gotten in a myriad of ways, and for not a ton of money.  If you use Study.com, you can get the remaining credits easily.  If you use Saylor, it's even less.  There's an UL TECEP available.

I guess it's a matter of how you look at things - you can be an optimist/realist and look on the bright side that you can get a degree for less than $10k, or you can whine and complain that it's not cheaper/easier.  Totally up to you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-23-2022, 12:36 PM)No dfrecore Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 10:09 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Why not ? It doesn’t matter if you’ve paid for credits 10 years ago or 10 weeks ago. You still paid for them. If I pay $10k for 90 credits 10 years ago and finish my last 30 for $5k. I still paid $15k for my degree not $5k.

It doesn't matter because it's a sunk cost - you paid for those credits whether you do anything with them or not.  I did not say that you don't count them on the overall cost of a degree later if you want - but if you don't get a degree at all, you still paid whatever you did for those credits, and that money is gone.  The correct way to compute a degree at THIS POINT IN TIME though is to figure out how much it will cost going forward to get your degree.  If you choose school A that will cost $5000 or you choose School B that will cost $10k, that's what's left.  The dollars you put into the credits you already have are the same amount no matter which school you choose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The system at TESU is set up to need 30cr RA.  Many people have that.  The ones that don't can go get 24cr at ONU or take TECEP's for $900.  That is not some insane amount of money.  It's $50/cr.  It's less than $1000.

The remaining credits can be gotten in a myriad of ways, and for not a ton of money.  If you use Study.com, you can get the remaining credits easily.  If you use Saylor, it's even less.  There's an UL TECEP available.

I guess it's a matter of how you look at things - you can be an optimist/realist and look on the bright side that you can get a degree for less than $10k, or you can whine and complain that it's not cheaper/easier.  Totally up to you.

Nobody whining here. I’m perfectly fine if my degree cost $10k. I think the point of my original post was to introduce a program I found that might be an option for Florida residents to get a computer science degree online with alt credit options for around $14k. 
Someone then posted that tesu is half that. I replied maybe for some but not many can get a comp sci degree for $7-$8k anymore. If so it’s not going to be easy. 

Not once was I complaining about my own situation. $10k to me is a deal for a comp sci degree. $14k At FIU may be a deal for others. If I was whining about tesu costing me $10k why would I mention a program that cost $14?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 371 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 854 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 629 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 169 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,330 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 2 191 03-03-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 358 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 391 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,254 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16