Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Computer Science TESU
All this talk about cost, we shouldn't forget that time is also a factor.

You could take all free CLEP exams, but it saves so much time to take Sophia courses.

I could have done Calculus with a free CLEP exam instead of spending the $'s to take it at SL, but it probably would have taken twice as long and a greater chance of failing.

A typical butt-in-seat college course is 80hrs long. However, a typical alt credit course can be done 20hrs or less for most students.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
https://www2.tesu.edu/listallc.php?type=EP

the choice of ePack courses is very small                
the only one I'd be interested in taking is the statistics one       
is the CIS 107 ePack a duplicate of the CLEP Information Systems https://clep.collegeboard.org/clep-exams...on-systems 
seems like it should be
(01-23-2022, 04:24 PM)No LevelUP Wrote: All this talk about cost, we shouldn't forget that time is also a factor.

You could take all free CLEP exams, but it saves so much time to take Sophia courses.

I could have done Calculus with a free CLEP exam instead of spending the $'s to take it at SL, but it probably would have taken twice as long and a greater chance of failing.

A typical butt-in-seat college course is 80hrs long. However, a typical alt credit course can be done 20hrs or less for most students.
Exactly. Good point. Time is money. Also value has a different meaning to everyone. Just because you can get a tesu degree for less than FIU or any other doesn’t mean FIU Or any other isn’t a value. Different strokes for different folks. If Total cost was  The only factor in determining what and where , then everyone would be going to tesu for comp sci. Lol. All I was doing was stating a fairly cheap option for Florida residents with the benefit of no calc. 
Personally To me $14k from FIU is a better value than $11k or whatever was stated for SNHU. 
It may be a better value to some than $8k Tesu. That’s fine.
bluebooger Wrote:https://www2.tesu.edu/listallc.php?type=EP

is the CIS 107 ePack a duplicate of the CLEP Information Systems https://clep.collegeboard.org/clep-exams...on-systems 
seems like it should be

They come in as different courses, don't duplicate. It's a very good choice to do the CLEP/MS option for 3 credits and the TECEP for another 3.

In regards to the SNHU degree, I would not advise it... from people I have chat with, the degree is "too easy and you don't really get to learn things". Essentially, it's all open book course work and non proctored exams, great for those who want to get a quick degree for an average price, but the learning gets a miss... unless you have many years experience, SNHU is NOT the way to go.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-23-2022, 04:52 PM)No bjcheung77 Wrote:
bluebooger Wrote:https://www2.tesu.edu/listallc.php?type=EP

seems like it should be

They come in as different courses, don't duplicate.  It's a very good choice to do the CLEP/MS option for 3 credits and the TECEP for another 3.

In regards to the SNHU degree, I would not advise it... from people I have chat with, the degree is "too easy and you don't really get to learn things".  Essentially, it's all open book course work and non proctored exams, great for those who want to get a quick degree for an average price, but the learning gets a miss... unless you have many years experience, SNHU is NOT the way to go.
There you go. Another reason that bottom cost isn’t the only  way to gauge value.
(01-23-2022, 04:52 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: In regards to the SNHU degree, I would not advise it... from people I have chat with, the degree is "too easy and you don't really get to learn things".  Essentially, it's all open book course work and non proctored exams, great for those who want to get a quick degree for an average price, but the learning gets a miss... unless you have many years experience, SNHU is NOT the way to go.

I wouldn't call the SNHU Computer Science degree easy.  You have to do Statistics, Discrete Mathematics, Precalculus, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Physics.

SNHU has a Full Stack Development course in place of the capstone, which is a must better course that teaches a lot of skills that would help you in a job.  SNHU uses the MEAN stack.

What happens is you are bringing in similar alt credits for all these different schools, so you are learning similar things regardless of which school you choose.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Arto
FWIW, I've heard that's an issue with almost all CS degrees. They give you some foundations, maybe, but they don't really teach you. Unless you've got the money for MIT or Georgia Tech or somewhere similar that is known for its CS program, expect to do a lot of studying because you're not going to learn in class.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-23-2022, 04:45 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Exactly. Good point. Time is money. Also value has a different meaning to everyone. Just because you can get a tesu degree for less than FIU or any other doesn’t mean FIU Or any other isn’t a value. Different strokes for different folks. If Total cost was  The only factor in determining what and where , then everyone would be going to tesu for comp sci. Lol. All I was doing was stating a fairly cheap option for Florida residents with the benefit of no calc. 
Personally To me $14k from FIU is a better value than $11k or whatever was stated for SNHU. 
It may be a better value to some than $8k Tesu. That’s fine.

FIU I don't see any course equivalent mapping for Sophia or Study.com.  That may be an issue for people that want to go there.

Btw Pats20, did you start the Calculus course yet, and where are you taking it?
Here's a conversation in regards to SNHU, the person also looked at FIU as well. I told them to stay put and just finish the goal of a degree at SNHU or transfer to TESU to complete their degree and add a couple associates for the fun of it...

bjcheung77 Wrote:
member Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:
member Wrote:Hello, bjcheung77. I'm an international student in the united states. I was following this forum since more than a year. I would like to say "Thank You" for your threads. They helped me a lot. I was looking for a college and currently enrolled into the SNHU but i am afraid of if it is gonna be a "diploma mil" in couple of years. I'm spending too much money and living in a place with a higher exchange rates. What is your honest opinion about this? I need help. I'm a CS student and i have about 60 credits. 

Bests, 

Hey Mr Member, what are you taking at SNHU? I don't know what you mean by it's going to be a "diploma mill"? SNHU is similar to WGU, it's basically the second largest online school in the USA right after WGU. Where did you get the 60 credits from? BTW, SNHU has a few programs, are you in their competency based degree program or are you taking classes using their traditional online courses? I have read your threads before, any US college/university will be sufficient to get into another university elsewhere...

I just don't know. I'm a CS major and i have 60 regionally accredited credits from my old school. I'm just checking some rankings and have never seen either wgu or snhu in those lists and some people say at Quora that snhu gonna be a diploma mill in couple of years like UOP. Snhu does not require any proctoring. I have left my brick and mortar school because of my disabilities and I really like the Snhu but i just don't know. I am so confused. I am gonna spend $9600 at there and it's a huge amount for me. I know there are FIU and others but i just don't have much time and money to afford neither FIU nor other colleges. I'm just worrying if people sees it like UOP 10 years later.

Best,
Mr. Member

Hey, I understand how you feel, SNHU and WGU are regionally accredited, non-profit, they're not going to go the way of University of Phoenix for a few reasons, they are large but they're continuing their non-profit ways, affordable education for the middle class or lower, they have a specific niche and people including the government support them, accreditation agencies are fine with them as well.

I would do the following, choose the school, either stay or go, I usually suggest the Big 3 and competency based degree providers, SNHU and WGU both have been suggested by me before. I love SNHU's College for America option, students get this free if their employer pays the $5000. WGU is inexpensive as well, I usually recommend them for grad school. Decide fast, don't stall.

If you want, you can follow my "plan" of getting 2 Associates and 2 Bachelors for under $9K USD, I've written it before a few times about obtaining these from a State University - TESU. I recommend taking everything you need with Sophia.org/Study.com and then finishing the 16-18 credits at TESU. You can then go to Walden for your Masters, really cheap/easy/fast there as well.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
One thing nice about TESU is that you aren't under any pressure to complete courses.  You can start and stop when you want to.

Then when you gather up enough alt credits, you complete the Capstone/Cornerstone and you're done.

Once you pay tuition, you're pretty much guaranteed to graduate unless you drop dead from coof or something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 72 Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 65 Yesterday, 11:36 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 119 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 248 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 204 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 308 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 414 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  BS in Computer Science Clmouss 5 293 04-01-2024, 12:36 AM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 481 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 1,048 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre