Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in Computer Science
Hello, I am new to the idea of CBE, and was wondering if anyone had achieved a BA in Computer Science by testing out of courses. I am confused as to what courses my CLEPs and DSSTs will actually get me out of. Will I basically only be able to test out of GEs, or is there a plan where I can test out of some of the CS courses? I am looking primarily at TESC, but if you completed a computer science degree at any of the big 3 and have advice for me, it would be much appreciated! P.S. I am not expecting you to write me an entire plan, just curious what I might actually be able to test out of. Also, would ALEKS be useful to get my math credits? Thank you ahead of time!
For any TESC degree you can usually test out of general education requirements and free electives using CLEP, DSST, Straighterline, Aleks and FEMA credits. I took College Algebra and Statistics using Aleks. I took Calculus I & II plus some other natural sciences at Straighterline. I did 20 CLEP & DSST exams. I did a bunch of FEMA credits to fill in the free electives. I would do this before even applying to TESC.

That leaves your area of study. There are two DSST exams (Intro to Computing and Management Information Systems) that can be used for 6 of the 33 needed credits. That leaves 24 credits plus the capstone.

There is a TECEP for CMP-354 Network Technology.

You can also use IT certifications for credit especially if ACE approved. See this thread.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-your.html

I did the entire degree start to finish in about 18 months. I spent around 12 months doing CLEP, DSST, Aleks, Straighterline and FEMA. I think I got like 15-18 credits from IT certifications.

Search the forums there is a lot of info on TESC computer degrees.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
Did you check out the degree forum Wiki? TESC Degree Plans - Degree Forum Wiki or Degree Forum Wiki.

Also this equivalency sheet might help

Equivalencies by Area: http://degreeplanners.com/media/TESC_Equivalencies.pdf

Equivalencies by Course Number: http://degreeplanners.com/media/TESC..._By_Course.pdf

Sources: Equivalency Sources
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thanks to both of you! I could not find my degree on the degree forum wiki, but the equivalencies sheets were very helpful! Also, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear jam123! My plan is to hopefully complete my degree within the next 2 and a half years, so this is very encouraging for me to hear! I know it will take a lot of hard work, but I am certain I can do it if I apply myself Smile
A word of caution: The Degree Planners document is out of date.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Good idea going for a BA CS. I am in the computer industry and we need more programmers badly.
I would recommend the following. Work toward the BSBA CIS and BA CS concurrently. What I mean by that is choose gen eds that fulfill the requirements for the BSBA CIS while pursuing your BA CS. You can probably finish the BSBA CIS in one year less than the BA CS so you might choose that option at some point. This is because it requires fewer difficult math classes and fewer pure CS classes.

So if you are starting from point zero, begin by taking the classes and tests common to all BSBA degrees. If you choose not to pursue a BA CS these classes will fill in gen eds.

Macroeconomics, microeconomics, management, marketing, statistics, info sys and comp applications, DSST MIS, college algebra, us history I&II, DSST business ethics and society.

Go pass all of those tests and you will be well on your way to either degree.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Thank you for that information, I just found it. That actually makes a lot of sense, and I actually have been thinking about whether I would prefer a BSBA or a BA CS. With this information that makes it a little easier knowing I can in a sense pursue both at the same time.
CLEPs Passed: History of the United States I: Early Colonizations to 1877 - 67 | History of the United States II: 1865 to Present - 63 | Principles of Macroeconomics - 61 l Principles of Microeconomics - 73 l Introductory Psychology - 71 l Social Sciences and History - 71 l Biology - 67
Glad to help you. Now keep passing CLEPs. US History I is a great one to start with. You can do Am Govt next with the info you learned on that history exam and by reading the REA book.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,973 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,551 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,707 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,485 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,209 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,374 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
Sad TESU has stopped offering a BA in Computer Science? johnw 14 3,301 04-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  COSC Science Lab -- ed4credit accepted? stampbuyme 7 1,792 04-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Science Lab Requirement ? stampbuyme 7 2,566 04-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  BS degree in fire science frankshorey 5 1,726 04-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun